Finding CNA Training Classes
Use our website to find local schools that currently offer CNA training courses to meet your pre-license education requirements. We have scoured the yellow pages, state board of nursing websites, and schools to compile an extensive list of CNA training programs.
We also utilize a live software program that searches a wide database of campus schools and online colleges by geographic area and displays relevant results to our web visitors. The results are sorted by program type and state.
How to Become a CNA
Starting a career as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) is one of the quickest pathways into a career in nursing and/or healthcare. With training courses as short as 3 weeks there is no other medical field certification that can be completed faster than the CNA designation. Although the CNA position might not be a final resting place, it provides an excellent springboard into the healthcare field. Working as a CNA can award the individual with great hands-on experience in a variety of medical scenarios. Working under the direct supervision of a doctor or nurse allows the CNA to get a peek into the professional duties of higher level healthcare providers. Many CNAs continue their education and later become a Registered Nurse (R.N.), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or physician.
Working as a CNA can prove to be an exciting and rewarding career position in itself as many CNAs enjoy the fast-paced work schedule and enjoy helping and interacting with a variety of different patients. There are many not-so-desirable aspects of being a CNA, which include cleaning up vomit, excrement, blood and urine (in some cases). CNAs can be called upon to perform a lot of duties within their position and must be ready, willing and able to perform the required work load.
CNA Training Programs
There are many training programs available for those seeking to become a CNA. The American Red Cross is the largest national provider of CNA training in the US and they offer courses in various cities throughout the country. The average course length is between 4-8 weeks and is taught using a combination of classroom lecture, book/DVD learning and hands-on experience taught by experienced and knowledgeable educators. The training curriculum includes Infection Control Methods, Communication Skills, Teamwork, Caregiving, Workplace Safety and Clinical Skills. Since providing care is at the core of the CNA job description most courses have a strong emphasis on caregiving techniques.
Students can attend any CNA training program as long as it is state approved and meets the minimum requirements set forth by The Nursing Home Reform Act (part of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987). Prospective students should choose a program carefully and base their decision on key factors such as exam pass rates, graduation rates, program tenure and quality of staff instructors.
CNA Certification Exam and State License
After completing an approved training program candidates will be eligible to take the State Competency Test also known as the CNA Certification Exam. The test is administered by PearsonVue and consists of a written and oral portion and a hands-on skills test. Upon successful completion the student will receive their CNA license in the mail shortly thereafter. Most states will require applicants to have a clean criminal background and pass a physical exam prior to issuing their license.
CNA Career Facts
There were over 1.5 million CNA employment positions in the U.S. in 2010. Between 2010-2020 CNA job growth is expected to rise about 20% adding approximately 300,000 new CNA job openings. This presents an excellent opportunity for newly licensed CNAs to enter the work force. Average pay rates for a CNA hover around $24,000 per year. CNAs are also referred to as Home Health Aides, Nursing Assistants and Nurse Aides. Most CNA positions will be found in hospitals, assisted living centers and rehabilitation care facilities.
Schools That Offer CNA Training Courses
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Veterinary Assisting