Finding CNA Training Classes
Use our website to find local schools that currently offer CNA training courses to meet your pre-license education requirements. We have scoured the yellow pages, state board of nursing websites, and schools to compile an extensive list of CNA training programs.
We also utilize a live software program that searches a wide database of campus schools and online colleges by geographic area and displays relevant results to our web visitors. The results are sorted by program type and state.
How to Become a CNA
Starting a career as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) is one of the quickest pathways into a career in nursing and/or healthcare. With training courses as short as 3 weeks there is no other medical field certification that can be completed faster than the CNA designation. Although the CNA position might not be a final resting place, it provides an excellent springboard into the healthcare field. Working as a CNA can award the individual with great hands-on experience in a variety of medical scenarios. Working under the direct supervision of a doctor or nurse allows the CNA to get a peek into the professional duties of higher level healthcare providers. Many CNAs continue their education and later become a Registered Nurse (R.N.), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or physician.
Working as a CNA can prove to be an exciting and rewarding career position in itself as many CNAs enjoy the fast-paced work schedule and enjoy helping and interacting with a variety of different patients. There are many not-so-desirable aspects of being a CNA, which include cleaning up vomit, excrement, blood and urine (in some cases). CNAs can be called upon to perform a lot of duties within their position and must be ready, willing and able to perform the required work load.
CNA Training Programs
There are many training programs available for those seeking to become a CNA. The American Red Cross is the largest national provider of CNA training in the US and they offer courses in various cities throughout the country. The average course length is between 4-8 weeks and is taught using a combination of classroom lecture, book/DVD learning and hands-on experience taught by experienced and knowledgeable educators. The training curriculum includes Infection Control Methods, Communication Skills, Teamwork, Caregiving, Workplace Safety and Clinical Skills. Since providing care is at the core of the CNA job description most courses have a strong emphasis on caregiving techniques.
Students can attend any CNA training program as long as it is state approved and meets the minimum requirements set forth by The Nursing Home Reform Act (part of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987). Prospective students should choose a program carefully and base their decision on key factors such as exam pass rates, graduation rates, program tenure and quality of staff instructors.
CNA Certification Exam and State License
After completing an approved training program candidates will be eligible to take the State Competency Test also known as the CNA Certification Exam. The test is administered by PearsonVue and consists of a written and oral portion and a hands-on skills test. Upon successful completion the student will receive their CNA license in the mail shortly thereafter. Most states will require applicants to have a clean criminal background and pass a physical exam prior to issuing their license.
CNA Career Facts
There were over 1.5 million CNA employment positions in the U.S. in 2010. Between 2010-2020 CNA job growth is expected to rise about 20% adding approximately 300,000 new CNA job openings. This presents an excellent opportunity for newly licensed CNAs to enter the work force. Average pay rates for a CNA hover around $24,000 per year. CNAs are also referred to as Home Health Aides, Nursing Assistants and Nurse Aides. Most CNA positions will be found in hospitals, assisted living centers and rehabilitation care facilities.
Schools That Offer CNA Training Courses
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...