How to Become a CNA in California
The sunshine state offers residents many exciting career opportunities. Due to its large population and abundance of senior citizens, California provides a great environment for healthcare providers to thrive. One of the quickest entry-level positions that can be started in the healthcare industry is the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA). This position is widely available in medical facilities, health clinics, hospitals, private doctors offices, assisted living centers, health and wellness centers and holistic medicine clinics.
The CNA is in charge of the most basic care taking duties and works directly with patients under the supervision of a doctor or Registered Nurse (RN). The job can be daunting because each CNA will usually be in charge of anywhere from 2-8 patients at one time. The information provided by the CNA will be used by the supervising doctor or nurse to make important decisions regarding patients care plans, medications and ongoing treatments.
The basic skills required of a CNA include bathing, ambulating, feeding, helping with intake and output, measuring and recording vitals, assisting with bedpan, handling colostomy bags and applying splints or braces. These tasks can often become grueling over time, and many CNAs decide to further their careers in nursing by taking courses to become an RN or LPN. These positions offer higher pay, more complex job duties and opportunities for even further career advancement and employment opportunities.
California offers many exciting employment opportunities for newly licensed CNAs, such as per-diem work, full-time employment or part-time. Right now there are job openings at Kaiser Permanente, UC San Diego Medical Center and the Department of Veteran Affairs in San Francisco. Typical CNA salary or pay rate in California falls between $20-$60 thousand per year, depending on employer, geographic location, work experience, education and current market conditions.
CNA Training Classes in California
- Accelerate your nursing career, deliver better patient care and earn 28 CNEs with Vohra’s Wound Certified Nurse (VWCN™) distinction. Use code HELLO50 for $50 off any Wound Care Certification program.
- 11 Core Modules
- 2 Bonus Modules
- Unlimited Access
- 28 ANCC Continuing Nursing Education Credits
- Wound Care Certification
- Wound Care Certification
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Respiratory Therapy
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!