How to Become a CNA in Florida
With CNA salaries in Florida averaging around $41,000 per year, it is hard to find a better paying profession in the healthcare industry that requires as little training as a short 4-week CNA education program. With one of the largest elderly populations of any state in the country, Florida’s 18% elderly residents contribute to the huge overall demand for healthcare services throughout the state. This demand means that finding employment as a CNA should not be too difficult while living in Florida.
The first step to becoming licensed is to make sure you are at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or equivalent degree, and can pass a criminal background check. Most authorities will take a fingerprint scan and check it against several different national and international databases. All felonies and some misdemeanors will be grounds for immediate disqualification. Any incidents involving abuse or mistreatment of elderly or handicapped individuals will bar that individual from becoming a CNA.
The next step is to select an education program to obtain the knowledge and skills required of a CNA. There are a variety of schools that offer many different CNA training courses, many of which can be completed in 4-6 weeks. Some important factors to consider when selecting a program are graduation and exam pass rates, quality and tenure of course instructors, and reputation of the institution. You can research these items online using Google search, or by visiting nursing forums where people share their experiences. You can also contact schools directly for specific questions or set up campus tours to view the facilities.
After selecting and completing a Florida state approved CNA training program the next step will be to take the Florida CNA certification exam, administered by Prometric. The exam will include two parts: written multiple questions and hands-on skill assessment. Both must be completed satisfactorily to earn a passing score. After that the newly licensed CNA will be added to the Florida Nurse Aide Registry list and can begin seeking employment as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA).
For current nurse aides seeking greater employment opportunities within the same field with higher earnings potential there are two logical progressions; either to become an LPN or a Registered Nurse. Our site contains program listings for those certifications as well. Someone with experience as a CNA can always take the next step in career advancement when they feel ready. The work experience and healthcare knowledge will give them a head start on the path to becoming an RN or LPN should they choose to do so.
CNA Training Classes in Florida
Train for the real-world skills that help you launch a successful technology or healthcare career with a degree, or diploma from Florida Career College.
- Patient Care Technician (10-month diploma program)
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month diploma program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month diploma program)
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Our mission is to provide career focused education for the purpose of gaining entry-level employment and advancement opportunities which will empower college students to positively contribute to their communities.
- Medical Assistant - Associate
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
About City College
Since 1984, City College, a private not-for-profit university, has been dedicated to providing a hands-on, practical and relevant college education to students in Florida and online. Our mission is to educate and train students in their chosen major, in preparation for employment in specific career fields. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult thinking about returning to college, or a military veteran seeking a new civilian career, the City College Office of Admissions will help you make the right choice for your unique situation and begin a rewarding new career.
We offer our students an atmosphere of caring and respect. At City College you’re not just a student, you’re family.
- D.P. - Medical Assisting
- A.S. - A.H. - Medical Assisting
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences - Pre-Physician Assistant Concentration
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- And more...
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Assistant
- A.S. - Nursing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!