How to Become a CNA in Illinois
The vast and prominent state of Illinois offers many exciting opportunities, and with the high concentration of medical centers and hospitals in the city of Chicago the opportunities for healthcare providers are excellent.
Many people want to enter nursing or healthcare but don’t know how to get started. There are many different pathways one can take, and different positions and specialties within these fields. For those who do not have an exact career path picked out, starting off as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) can be an excellent starting point.
To highlight some of the benefits of becoming a CNA in Illinois, first we examine the extremely short training period of only 4-6 weeks required to gain certification. Other positions might take anywhere from 2-6 years to prepare for. Secondly we consider the cost of education, training and certification. The entire cost of a CNA program from start to finish ranges between $500-$1500, which is very low compared to almost any other profession. Lastly we bring to your attention the versatility of the skills and knowledge required to become a CNA. The information learned and job training required to become a CNA is easily transferrable to many other medical and healthcare positions. Therefore, if you decide later on that you wish to become a nurse or doctor you already have knowledge of the subject matter and can easily build upon your level of understanding and skill set.
Now we move on to state specific training requirements for CNAs in Illinois. In anticipation of the predicted nursing shortage of 21,000 by the year 2020 Governor Pat Quinn and the state of Illinois developed the Illinois Center for Nursing. This entity is in charge of fostering nurse education while maintaining high standards for quality of care. Anyone considering a career in nursing in Illinois should become acquainted with this organization.
To become a CNA in Illinois there are a few simple steps to follow. First, the prospective CNA must be 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent degree and have a clean criminal background. The next step is to identify, enroll and complete a state-approved CNA training program. Our site lists several programs currently offered by educational institutions throughout Illinois and online. After that the CNA hopeful will register to sit for the CNA certification exam in Illinois, and once they pass they will apply to be added to the list of Certified Nursing Assistants licensed to practice in Illinois.
CNA Training Classes in Illinois
- Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Dental Assistant
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education