How to Become a CNA in Illinois
The vast and prominent state of Illinois offers many exciting opportunities, and with the high concentration of medical centers and hospitals in the city of Chicago the opportunities for healthcare providers are excellent.
Many people want to enter nursing or healthcare but don’t know how to get started. There are many different pathways one can take, and different positions and specialties within these fields. For those who do not have an exact career path picked out, starting off as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) can be an excellent starting point.
To highlight some of the benefits of becoming a CNA in Illinois, first we examine the extremely short training period of only 4-6 weeks required to gain certification. Other positions might take anywhere from 2-6 years to prepare for. Secondly we consider the cost of education, training and certification. The entire cost of a CNA program from start to finish ranges between $500-$1500, which is very low compared to almost any other profession. Lastly we bring to your attention the versatility of the skills and knowledge required to become a CNA. The information learned and job training required to become a CNA is easily transferrable to many other medical and healthcare positions. Therefore, if you decide later on that you wish to become a nurse or doctor you already have knowledge of the subject matter and can easily build upon your level of understanding and skill set.
Now we move on to state specific training requirements for CNAs in Illinois. In anticipation of the predicted nursing shortage of 21,000 by the year 2020 Governor Pat Quinn and the state of Illinois developed the Illinois Center for Nursing. This entity is in charge of fostering nurse education while maintaining high standards for quality of care. Anyone considering a career in nursing in Illinois should become acquainted with this organization.
To become a CNA in Illinois there are a few simple steps to follow. First, the prospective CNA must be 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent degree and have a clean criminal background. The next step is to identify, enroll and complete a state-approved CNA training program. Our site lists several programs currently offered by educational institutions throughout Illinois and online. After that the CNA hopeful will register to sit for the CNA certification exam in Illinois, and once they pass they will apply to be added to the list of Certified Nursing Assistants licensed to practice in Illinois.
CNA Training Classes in Illinois
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Medical Office Assistant
Northwestern College is a special place. Focused programs. Flexible schedules. Supportive faculty. Externship opportunities. But you probably know all of that. What you may not know is what’s behind it. Our history, our mission, our whole philosophy really. Simply put, it’s about preparing people well and quickly for a lifetime of opportunities.
- Medical Assisting Certificate
- Dental Assisting Certificate
- Medical Assistant
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Dental Assistant
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- Students already licensed as registered nurses can complete RN-BSN program in as few as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate (MSN to FNP)