How to Become a CNA in Illinois
The vast and prominent state of Illinois offers many exciting opportunities, and with the high concentration of medical centers and hospitals in the city of Chicago the opportunities for healthcare providers are excellent.
Many people want to enter nursing or healthcare but don’t know how to get started. There are many different pathways one can take, and different positions and specialties within these fields. For those who do not have an exact career path picked out, starting off as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) can be an excellent starting point.
To highlight some of the benefits of becoming a CNA in Illinois, first we examine the extremely short training period of only 4-6 weeks required to gain certification. Other positions might take anywhere from 2-6 years to prepare for. Secondly we consider the cost of education, training and certification. The entire cost of a CNA program from start to finish ranges between $500-$1500, which is very low compared to almost any other profession. Lastly we bring to your attention the versatility of the skills and knowledge required to become a CNA. The information learned and job training required to become a CNA is easily transferrable to many other medical and healthcare positions. Therefore, if you decide later on that you wish to become a nurse or doctor you already have knowledge of the subject matter and can easily build upon your level of understanding and skill set.
Now we move on to state specific training requirements for CNAs in Illinois. In anticipation of the predicted nursing shortage of 21,000 by the year 2020 Governor Pat Quinn and the state of Illinois developed the Illinois Center for Nursing. This entity is in charge of fostering nurse education while maintaining high standards for quality of care. Anyone considering a career in nursing in Illinois should become acquainted with this organization.
To become a CNA in Illinois there are a few simple steps to follow. First, the prospective CNA must be 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent degree and have a clean criminal background. The next step is to identify, enroll and complete a state-approved CNA training program. Our site lists several programs currently offered by educational institutions throughout Illinois and online. After that the CNA hopeful will register to sit for the CNA certification exam in Illinois, and once they pass they will apply to be added to the list of Certified Nursing Assistants licensed to practice in Illinois.
CNA Training Classes in Illinois
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Medical Assistant