How to Become a CNA in Iowa
Enrolling in a CNA training course in Iowa can be a great first step towards a lifelong career in the nursing field. If you are ultimately interested in becoming a Registered Nurse (RN) but want to sample the daily work routine before you commit 2-4 years of time and anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 in educational expenses, the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) position can be a great start. With very basic requirements and a short amount of education/training required, this certification can be achieved in 4-6 weeks. Lets take a look at the simple steps to becoming a CNA in Iowa.
The most basic requirements to become a CNA include a clean criminal background, being at least 18 years old and holding a high school diploma or equivalent degree. Once those items are out of the way the next step will be to select a CNA training school. This site is designed to help provide information to prospective students considering the CNA career in Iowa. Our course listings are comprised of Iowa state approved CNA training courses offered from various educational institutions. From this list, students can begin identifying programs of interest and making individual inquiries to find out more about each program, including faculty tenure, course schedules and curriculum. It is important for students to be selective when choosing their school, because they will be relying on the knowledge and training acquired through this program to perform the job functions of a CNA. It is advisable to choose a reputable program with a strong teaching staff, high graduation rate and strong exam pass rates. Most of this information can be accessed online or by contacting each school directly.
Once the student has chosen a program and began classes they can expect a curriculum that includes a mixture of typical classroom lecture and hands-on skills training. Both will be required to pass the Iowa CNA certification exam, so both should be treated with equal importance. Since this is the only hands-on practice and training the student will receive before starting their first job as a CNA it is critical that they learn these skills correctly from an experienced instructor. Most Iowa CNA courses include approximately 100 hours of instruction, which might sound like a lot, but really is not very much to prepare for an entire career.
After completing the training program, the prospective CNA will be eligible to sit for the Iowa state CNA certification exam. This test will be divided into two parts: written multiple choice questions and hands-on skills assessment. Both must be completed successfully to earn the certification. Upon completion students will have to apply to have their name added to the Iowa Nurse Aide Registry, which is an active list of licensed CNAs in the state of Iowa. This list will be referenced by employers when making hiring decisions.
Once the individual is listed as an actively licensed CNA with the state of Iowa they can begin seeking employment opportunities. Most CNA jobs will be at hospitals, medical centers, health clinics or assisted living facilities. Sometimes CNAs find work at rehabilitation centers or private doctors offices as well. Initial hourly wages for a CNA in Iowa range between $12-$15 per hour. CNAs with more work experience and those working in more favorable job markets or major metropolitan areas can expect higher pay rates.
Find schools using our course list below and feel free to email us if you have any questions about becoming a CNA in Iowa.
CNA Training Classes in Iowa
Midwest Technical Institute (MTI) is a year-round school providing vocational training in skilled trades and allied health career fields where job growth is expected.
- Medical Assisting (9 Months)
- Dental Assisting (9 Months)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Medical Assistant
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!