How to Become a CNA in Iowa
Enrolling in a CNA training course in Iowa can be a great first step towards a lifelong career in the nursing field. If you are ultimately interested in becoming a Registered Nurse (RN) but want to sample the daily work routine before you commit 2-4 years of time and anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 in educational expenses, the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) position can be a great start. With very basic requirements and a short amount of education/training required, this certification can be achieved in 4-6 weeks. Lets take a look at the simple steps to becoming a CNA in Iowa.
The most basic requirements to become a CNA include a clean criminal background, being at least 18 years old and holding a high school diploma or equivalent degree. Once those items are out of the way the next step will be to select a CNA training school. This site is designed to help provide information to prospective students considering the CNA career in Iowa. Our course listings are comprised of Iowa state approved CNA training courses offered from various educational institutions. From this list, students can begin identifying programs of interest and making individual inquiries to find out more about each program, including faculty tenure, course schedules and curriculum. It is important for students to be selective when choosing their school, because they will be relying on the knowledge and training acquired through this program to perform the job functions of a CNA. It is advisable to choose a reputable program with a strong teaching staff, high graduation rate and strong exam pass rates. Most of this information can be accessed online or by contacting each school directly.
Once the student has chosen a program and began classes they can expect a curriculum that includes a mixture of typical classroom lecture and hands-on skills training. Both will be required to pass the Iowa CNA certification exam, so both should be treated with equal importance. Since this is the only hands-on practice and training the student will receive before starting their first job as a CNA it is critical that they learn these skills correctly from an experienced instructor. Most Iowa CNA courses include approximately 100 hours of instruction, which might sound like a lot, but really is not very much to prepare for an entire career.
After completing the training program, the prospective CNA will be eligible to sit for the Iowa state CNA certification exam. This test will be divided into two parts: written multiple choice questions and hands-on skills assessment. Both must be completed successfully to earn the certification. Upon completion students will have to apply to have their name added to the Iowa Nurse Aide Registry, which is an active list of licensed CNAs in the state of Iowa. This list will be referenced by employers when making hiring decisions.
Once the individual is listed as an actively licensed CNA with the state of Iowa they can begin seeking employment opportunities. Most CNA jobs will be at hospitals, medical centers, health clinics or assisted living facilities. Sometimes CNAs find work at rehabilitation centers or private doctors offices as well. Initial hourly wages for a CNA in Iowa range between $12-$15 per hour. CNAs with more work experience and those working in more favorable job markets or major metropolitan areas can expect higher pay rates.
Find schools using our course list below and feel free to email us if you have any questions about becoming a CNA in Iowa.
CNA Training Classes in Iowa
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- And more...
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)