How to Become a CNA in Iowa
Enrolling in a CNA training course in Iowa can be a great first step towards a lifelong career in the nursing field. If you are ultimately interested in becoming a Registered Nurse (RN) but want to sample the daily work routine before you commit 2-4 years of time and anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 in educational expenses, the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) position can be a great start. With very basic requirements and a short amount of education/training required, this certification can be achieved in 4-6 weeks. Lets take a look at the simple steps to becoming a CNA in Iowa.
The most basic requirements to become a CNA include a clean criminal background, being at least 18 years old and holding a high school diploma or equivalent degree. Once those items are out of the way the next step will be to select a CNA training school. This site is designed to help provide information to prospective students considering the CNA career in Iowa. Our course listings are comprised of Iowa state approved CNA training courses offered from various educational institutions. From this list, students can begin identifying programs of interest and making individual inquiries to find out more about each program, including faculty tenure, course schedules and curriculum. It is important for students to be selective when choosing their school, because they will be relying on the knowledge and training acquired through this program to perform the job functions of a CNA. It is advisable to choose a reputable program with a strong teaching staff, high graduation rate and strong exam pass rates. Most of this information can be accessed online or by contacting each school directly.
Once the student has chosen a program and began classes they can expect a curriculum that includes a mixture of typical classroom lecture and hands-on skills training. Both will be required to pass the Iowa CNA certification exam, so both should be treated with equal importance. Since this is the only hands-on practice and training the student will receive before starting their first job as a CNA it is critical that they learn these skills correctly from an experienced instructor. Most Iowa CNA courses include approximately 100 hours of instruction, which might sound like a lot, but really is not very much to prepare for an entire career.
After completing the training program, the prospective CNA will be eligible to sit for the Iowa state CNA certification exam. This test will be divided into two parts: written multiple choice questions and hands-on skills assessment. Both must be completed successfully to earn the certification. Upon completion students will have to apply to have their name added to the Iowa Nurse Aide Registry, which is an active list of licensed CNAs in the state of Iowa. This list will be referenced by employers when making hiring decisions.
Once the individual is listed as an actively licensed CNA with the state of Iowa they can begin seeking employment opportunities. Most CNA jobs will be at hospitals, medical centers, health clinics or assisted living facilities. Sometimes CNAs find work at rehabilitation centers or private doctors offices as well. Initial hourly wages for a CNA in Iowa range between $12-$15 per hour. CNAs with more work experience and those working in more favorable job markets or major metropolitan areas can expect higher pay rates.
Find schools using our course list below and feel free to email us if you have any questions about becoming a CNA in Iowa.
CNA Training Classes in Iowa
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Accelerate your nursing career, deliver better patient care and earn 28 CNEs with Vohra’s Wound Certified Nurse (VWCN™) distinction. Use code HELLO50 for $50 off any Wound Care Certification program.
- 11 Core Modules
- 2 Bonus Modules
- Unlimited Access
- 28 ANCC Continuing Nursing Education Credits
- Wound Care Certification
- Wound Care Certification
Our Campus is Now Open and Hands-On Lab is Back in Session! Get Ready to Work! Classes Start Now.
- Medical Assisting (9 Months)
- Dental Assisting (9 Months)
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Medical Assistant
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!