How to Become a CNA in Louisiana
The requirements to become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in Louisiana are very similar to many other states. Training courses range from 4-8 weeks depending on class schedules, state exam must be passed prior to registering with the state Nurse Aide Registry list, and applicants must be 18 years old with a clean criminal background.
State minimum requirements for CNA training in Louisiana mandate at least 80 hours of training time, split between 40 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical skills training. The student must be labeled as a “trainee” at all times, especially when training in a hospital or assisted living center.
While students are completing their CNA curriculum it is important for them to remember that they will be serving a wide population of patients, and that the core of their profession is providing quality care to patients suffering from illness, disease or injury. The job cannot be taken lightly as CNAs are charged with providing direct patient care and their recorded information regarding patients conditions, vital signs, input/output are all used by nurses and doctors to make important medical decisions regarding patient treatment plans and adjustments to medications.
The knowledge aspect as well as the hands-on skills will both be tested in the Louisiana CNA certification exam, so the student must possess a strong mastery of both aspects. The CNA training curriculum moves quickly and one must be a fast learner to pick up all of the necessary info during the short training period. After completing the education course students in Louisiana must take the exam within 30 days. Once they pass they will be granted their license to practice as a nurse aide in Louisiana. They will have to apply and pay a nominal fee to have their name added to the state Nurse Aide Registry list. The list exists so that can employers and the public can have access to verify licensure at any given time.
The future job outlook for nursing assistants in Louisiana shows great potential. The current healthcare system is strained by a lack of qualified providers. The state obesity rate is at a whopping 34.7% and there is demand for skilled workers. Having your CNA license will allow to apply for positions in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, health clinics and assisted living facilities. The CNA position can also become a springboard for other opportunities in healthcare.
CNA Training Classes in Louisiana
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Dental Assistant - Diploma
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Occupational Studies
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- Students already licensed as registered nurses can complete RN-BSN program in as few as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education