How to Become a CNA in Louisiana
The requirements to become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in Louisiana are very similar to many other states. Training courses range from 4-8 weeks depending on class schedules, state exam must be passed prior to registering with the state Nurse Aide Registry list, and applicants must be 18 years old with a clean criminal background.
State minimum requirements for CNA training in Louisiana mandate at least 80 hours of training time, split between 40 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical skills training. The student must be labeled as a “trainee” at all times, especially when training in a hospital or assisted living center.
While students are completing their CNA curriculum it is important for them to remember that they will be serving a wide population of patients, and that the core of their profession is providing quality care to patients suffering from illness, disease or injury. The job cannot be taken lightly as CNAs are charged with providing direct patient care and their recorded information regarding patients conditions, vital signs, input/output are all used by nurses and doctors to make important medical decisions regarding patient treatment plans and adjustments to medications.
The knowledge aspect as well as the hands-on skills will both be tested in the Louisiana CNA certification exam, so the student must possess a strong mastery of both aspects. The CNA training curriculum moves quickly and one must be a fast learner to pick up all of the necessary info during the short training period. After completing the education course students in Louisiana must take the exam within 30 days. Once they pass they will be granted their license to practice as a nurse aide in Louisiana. They will have to apply and pay a nominal fee to have their name added to the state Nurse Aide Registry list. The list exists so that can employers and the public can have access to verify licensure at any given time.
The future job outlook for nursing assistants in Louisiana shows great potential. The current healthcare system is strained by a lack of qualified providers. The state obesity rate is at a whopping 34.7% and there is demand for skilled workers. Having your CNA license will allow to apply for positions in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, health clinics and assisted living facilities. The CNA position can also become a springboard for other opportunities in healthcare.
CNA Training Classes in Louisiana
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
A new career is closer than you think!
McCann School of Business & Technology has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Their faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to pursue your career.
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...