How to Become a CNA in Louisiana
The requirements to become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in Louisiana are very similar to many other states. Training courses range from 4-8 weeks depending on class schedules, state exam must be passed prior to registering with the state Nurse Aide Registry list, and applicants must be 18 years old with a clean criminal background.
State minimum requirements for CNA training in Louisiana mandate at least 80 hours of training time, split between 40 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical skills training. The student must be labeled as a “trainee” at all times, especially when training in a hospital or assisted living center.
While students are completing their CNA curriculum it is important for them to remember that they will be serving a wide population of patients, and that the core of their profession is providing quality care to patients suffering from illness, disease or injury. The job cannot be taken lightly as CNAs are charged with providing direct patient care and their recorded information regarding patients conditions, vital signs, input/output are all used by nurses and doctors to make important medical decisions regarding patient treatment plans and adjustments to medications.
The knowledge aspect as well as the hands-on skills will both be tested in the Louisiana CNA certification exam, so the student must possess a strong mastery of both aspects. The CNA training curriculum moves quickly and one must be a fast learner to pick up all of the necessary info during the short training period. After completing the education course students in Louisiana must take the exam within 30 days. Once they pass they will be granted their license to practice as a nurse aide in Louisiana. They will have to apply and pay a nominal fee to have their name added to the state Nurse Aide Registry list. The list exists so that can employers and the public can have access to verify licensure at any given time.
The future job outlook for nursing assistants in Louisiana shows great potential. The current healthcare system is strained by a lack of qualified providers. The state obesity rate is at a whopping 34.7% and there is demand for skilled workers. Having your CNA license will allow to apply for positions in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, health clinics and assisted living facilities. The CNA position can also become a springboard for other opportunities in healthcare.
CNA Training Classes in Louisiana
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Dental Assistant - Diploma
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education