How to Become a CNA in Louisiana
The requirements to become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) in Louisiana are very similar to many other states. Training courses range from 4-8 weeks depending on class schedules, state exam must be passed prior to registering with the state Nurse Aide Registry list, and applicants must be 18 years old with a clean criminal background.
State minimum requirements for CNA training in Louisiana mandate at least 80 hours of training time, split between 40 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical skills training. The student must be labeled as a “trainee” at all times, especially when training in a hospital or assisted living center.
While students are completing their CNA curriculum it is important for them to remember that they will be serving a wide population of patients, and that the core of their profession is providing quality care to patients suffering from illness, disease or injury. The job cannot be taken lightly as CNAs are charged with providing direct patient care and their recorded information regarding patients conditions, vital signs, input/output are all used by nurses and doctors to make important medical decisions regarding patient treatment plans and adjustments to medications.
The knowledge aspect as well as the hands-on skills will both be tested in the Louisiana CNA certification exam, so the student must possess a strong mastery of both aspects. The CNA training curriculum moves quickly and one must be a fast learner to pick up all of the necessary info during the short training period. After completing the education course students in Louisiana must take the exam within 30 days. Once they pass they will be granted their license to practice as a nurse aide in Louisiana. They will have to apply and pay a nominal fee to have their name added to the state Nurse Aide Registry list. The list exists so that can employers and the public can have access to verify licensure at any given time.
The future job outlook for nursing assistants in Louisiana shows great potential. The current healthcare system is strained by a lack of qualified providers. The state obesity rate is at a whopping 34.7% and there is demand for skilled workers. Having your CNA license will allow to apply for positions in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, health clinics and assisted living facilities. The CNA position can also become a springboard for other opportunities in healthcare.
CNA Training Classes in Louisiana
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Further Your Career with a Billing and Coding Diploma from Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Dental Assistant - Diploma
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Occupational Studies
- Medical Office Assistant - Diploma
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)