How to Become a CNA in Maryland
With 138 different state approved CNA training institutions including hospitals, colleges, freestanding programs and nursing homes there are many options for individuals seeking to become a CNA in Maryland. Other similar professions include EMT, dialysis technician and certified medicine aide. Maryland makes it very cut and dry for those interested in becoming a CNA. The simple requirements include a $20 initial CNA certification fee, high school diploma, be at least 18 years old and complete a state approved Geriatric Nursing Assistant (GNA) training program.
The renewal period for CNA license in Maryland is every two years on the 28th day of the applicants birth month, and the cost is $40. The state of Maryland will accept applications from CNAs who are currently licensed in another state but want to practice in Maryland. These persons are not permitted to begin working as a CNA in Maryland until their application is approved.
Typical CNA training curriculum includes classroom learning on the following subjects: infection control, CPR/resuscitation techniques, how to measure and record patient vital signs, range of motion exercises, providing basic care and specialized care giving. Each course should also include hands-on clinical skills training and practice in an actual medical facility. Online CNA programs are available, but hands-on skills practice must be scheduled at a nearby healthcare facility in conjunction with the online learning segment. The hands-on skills will be tested as a part of the state certification exam and cannot be overlooked. It is important to learn these skills from an experienced instructor to ensure complete mastery of them. The final exam will take approximately 2 1/2 hours and will include written multiple choice questions and require a demonstration of 5 essential CNA skills.
A CNA in Maryland can expect to earn a salary of around $24,000-$30,000 per year depending upon work experience, employer and location. Jobs located in major metropolitan areas such as Baltimore will usually pay more than similar jobs in more rural areas. If an individual reaches a point where they have “maxed out” their potential as a CNA the next logical career step would be to become an LPN or Registered Nurse (RN). In either of those positions they will experience a significant pay raise and deal with greater work responsibilities.
CNA Training Classes in Maryland
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Advanced Practice Nurse
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Executive Nursing Leadership
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner