How to Become a CNA in Maryland
With 138 different state approved CNA training institutions including hospitals, colleges, freestanding programs and nursing homes there are many options for individuals seeking to become a CNA in Maryland. Other similar professions include EMT, dialysis technician and certified medicine aide. Maryland makes it very cut and dry for those interested in becoming a CNA. The simple requirements include a $20 initial CNA certification fee, high school diploma, be at least 18 years old and complete a state approved Geriatric Nursing Assistant (GNA) training program.
The renewal period for CNA license in Maryland is every two years on the 28th day of the applicants birth month, and the cost is $40. The state of Maryland will accept applications from CNAs who are currently licensed in another state but want to practice in Maryland. These persons are not permitted to begin working as a CNA in Maryland until their application is approved.
Typical CNA training curriculum includes classroom learning on the following subjects: infection control, CPR/resuscitation techniques, how to measure and record patient vital signs, range of motion exercises, providing basic care and specialized care giving. Each course should also include hands-on clinical skills training and practice in an actual medical facility. Online CNA programs are available, but hands-on skills practice must be scheduled at a nearby healthcare facility in conjunction with the online learning segment. The hands-on skills will be tested as a part of the state certification exam and cannot be overlooked. It is important to learn these skills from an experienced instructor to ensure complete mastery of them. The final exam will take approximately 2 1/2 hours and will include written multiple choice questions and require a demonstration of 5 essential CNA skills.
A CNA in Maryland can expect to earn a salary of around $24,000-$30,000 per year depending upon work experience, employer and location. Jobs located in major metropolitan areas such as Baltimore will usually pay more than similar jobs in more rural areas. If an individual reaches a point where they have “maxed out” their potential as a CNA the next logical career step would be to become an LPN or Registered Nurse (RN). In either of those positions they will experience a significant pay raise and deal with greater work responsibilities.
CNA Training Classes in Maryland
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
- Dental Assistant
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)