How to Become a CNA in Maryland
With 138 different state approved CNA training institutions including hospitals, colleges, freestanding programs and nursing homes there are many options for individuals seeking to become a CNA in Maryland. Other similar professions include EMT, dialysis technician and certified medicine aide. Maryland makes it very cut and dry for those interested in becoming a CNA. The simple requirements include a $20 initial CNA certification fee, high school diploma, be at least 18 years old and complete a state approved Geriatric Nursing Assistant (GNA) training program.
The renewal period for CNA license in Maryland is every two years on the 28th day of the applicants birth month, and the cost is $40. The state of Maryland will accept applications from CNAs who are currently licensed in another state but want to practice in Maryland. These persons are not permitted to begin working as a CNA in Maryland until their application is approved.
Typical CNA training curriculum includes classroom learning on the following subjects: infection control, CPR/resuscitation techniques, how to measure and record patient vital signs, range of motion exercises, providing basic care and specialized care giving. Each course should also include hands-on clinical skills training and practice in an actual medical facility. Online CNA programs are available, but hands-on skills practice must be scheduled at a nearby healthcare facility in conjunction with the online learning segment. The hands-on skills will be tested as a part of the state certification exam and cannot be overlooked. It is important to learn these skills from an experienced instructor to ensure complete mastery of them. The final exam will take approximately 2 1/2 hours and will include written multiple choice questions and require a demonstration of 5 essential CNA skills.
A CNA in Maryland can expect to earn a salary of around $24,000-$30,000 per year depending upon work experience, employer and location. Jobs located in major metropolitan areas such as Baltimore will usually pay more than similar jobs in more rural areas. If an individual reaches a point where they have “maxed out” their potential as a CNA the next logical career step would be to become an LPN or Registered Nurse (RN). In either of those positions they will experience a significant pay raise and deal with greater work responsibilities.
CNA Training Classes in Maryland
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Medical Assistant
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
- Dental Assistant
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...