How to Become a CNA in Maryland
With 138 different state approved CNA training institutions including hospitals, colleges, freestanding programs and nursing homes there are many options for individuals seeking to become a CNA in Maryland. Other similar professions include EMT, dialysis technician and certified medicine aide. Maryland makes it very cut and dry for those interested in becoming a CNA. The simple requirements include a $20 initial CNA certification fee, high school diploma, be at least 18 years old and complete a state approved Geriatric Nursing Assistant (GNA) training program.
The renewal period for CNA license in Maryland is every two years on the 28th day of the applicants birth month, and the cost is $40. The state of Maryland will accept applications from CNAs who are currently licensed in another state but want to practice in Maryland. These persons are not permitted to begin working as a CNA in Maryland until their application is approved.
Typical CNA training curriculum includes classroom learning on the following subjects: infection control, CPR/resuscitation techniques, how to measure and record patient vital signs, range of motion exercises, providing basic care and specialized care giving. Each course should also include hands-on clinical skills training and practice in an actual medical facility. Online CNA programs are available, but hands-on skills practice must be scheduled at a nearby healthcare facility in conjunction with the online learning segment. The hands-on skills will be tested as a part of the state certification exam and cannot be overlooked. It is important to learn these skills from an experienced instructor to ensure complete mastery of them. The final exam will take approximately 2 1/2 hours and will include written multiple choice questions and require a demonstration of 5 essential CNA skills.
A CNA in Maryland can expect to earn a salary of around $24,000-$30,000 per year depending upon work experience, employer and location. Jobs located in major metropolitan areas such as Baltimore will usually pay more than similar jobs in more rural areas. If an individual reaches a point where they have “maxed out” their potential as a CNA the next logical career step would be to become an LPN or Registered Nurse (RN). In either of those positions they will experience a significant pay raise and deal with greater work responsibilities.
CNA Training Classes in Maryland
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.