How to Become a CNA in Maryland
With 138 different state approved CNA training institutions including hospitals, colleges, freestanding programs and nursing homes there are many options for individuals seeking to become a CNA in Maryland. Other similar professions include EMT, dialysis technician and certified medicine aide. Maryland makes it very cut and dry for those interested in becoming a CNA. The simple requirements include a $20 initial CNA certification fee, high school diploma, be at least 18 years old and complete a state approved Geriatric Nursing Assistant (GNA) training program.
The renewal period for CNA license in Maryland is every two years on the 28th day of the applicants birth month, and the cost is $40. The state of Maryland will accept applications from CNAs who are currently licensed in another state but want to practice in Maryland. These persons are not permitted to begin working as a CNA in Maryland until their application is approved.
Typical CNA training curriculum includes classroom learning on the following subjects: infection control, CPR/resuscitation techniques, how to measure and record patient vital signs, range of motion exercises, providing basic care and specialized care giving. Each course should also include hands-on clinical skills training and practice in an actual medical facility. Online CNA programs are available, but hands-on skills practice must be scheduled at a nearby healthcare facility in conjunction with the online learning segment. The hands-on skills will be tested as a part of the state certification exam and cannot be overlooked. It is important to learn these skills from an experienced instructor to ensure complete mastery of them. The final exam will take approximately 2 1/2 hours and will include written multiple choice questions and require a demonstration of 5 essential CNA skills.
A CNA in Maryland can expect to earn a salary of around $24,000-$30,000 per year depending upon work experience, employer and location. Jobs located in major metropolitan areas such as Baltimore will usually pay more than similar jobs in more rural areas. If an individual reaches a point where they have “maxed out” their potential as a CNA the next logical career step would be to become an LPN or Registered Nurse (RN). In either of those positions they will experience a significant pay raise and deal with greater work responsibilities.
CNA Training Classes in Maryland
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
The Secret to Getting Ahead Is Getting Started
With a mission of helping students graduate, launch better careers, and gain greater independence to live the life they want as soon as possible, Independence University offers flexible fully online degree programs. Program options are available in healthcare, business, information technology, and graphic arts. The programs are career-focused to help ensure the knowledge and skills you learn match what today's employers are looking for.
- Medical Assisting (AOS)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
WELCOME TO PURDUE UNIVERSITY GLOBAL
World-Class Education Tailored for Working Adults
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience tailored for working adults.
- Master of Science in Nursing - MSN/MBA Dual Degree Option
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!