How to Become a CNA in Michigan
With nearly 15% of persons in Michigan age 65 or older there is significant demand for health care providers. For those who enjoy providing quality care and have compassion for people and who might like serving those who are suffering from disease, illness and/or injury the CNA profession might be a great choice. Since the OMNIBUS Act was passed in 1987 the nurse aide profession has been regulated by individual states. To work as a CNA in Michigan the individual must take an approved education course and pass the state exam, which is administered by Prometric.
The state of Michigan also contracts with Prometric to provide and maintain their state Nurse Aide Registry, which lists all licensed CNAs in the state. The registry list also documents any and all disciplinary actions or lapses in licensure for nurse aides in Michigan. This tool can be helpful to employers and is designed to protect the general public. The CNA license in Michigan must be renewed every two years.
Typical CNA training curriculum for Michigan students will include a dose of classroom lecture on subjects such as measuring and recording of patients vital signs, assisting patients with dressing, ambulating, intake and output amongst other things. There are 25 basic CNA skills which must be mastered prior to challenging the state exam. The assigned examiner will request the student to perform 5 skills chosen at random and they must be executed satisfactorily to achieve a passing score.
With unemployment rates ranging between 7.5-8.5% in Michigan from 2013-14 it is crucial for people to choose viable careers to avoid being stuck in unemployment or struggle finding job opportunities. Since all health care facilities must abide by state mandated minimum staffing requirements there is a built-in demand for certified nurse aides. The unemployment rate in Michigan for the health services sector of the economy is actually negative -0.2 which indicates that the demand for CNAs is strong and is projected to continue to grow well into the next decade. For those who start now, there might be possibilities for advancement in the near future. The average CNA salary in Michigan is $27,000 and varies according to number of years of experience, education level, current economic conditions, employer and specific location.
The first step to becoming a CNA in Michigan is to research education programs, choose one and enroll. This page lists state approved CNA training courses available online and at local campus schools. Review the list, contact individual schools to ask questions and select campuses to visit to begin your career.
CNA Training Classes in Michigan
Career Quest Learning Centers offers programs in business, information technology, and health care that are designed to get you into your new career fast.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Administration (AAS)
Since 1866, Davenport University has been providing students with real-world experience, giving them the edge they need to get the career they want.
Our goal is to offer guaranteed job placement to most of our students by 2020.
- Medical Assisting, AAS
- Veterans Bachelor of Science in Nursing (VBSN)
- Nursing Pre-Licensure, BS - College of Health Professions
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)