How to Become a CNA in Michigan
With nearly 15% of persons in Michigan age 65 or older there is significant demand for health care providers. For those who enjoy providing quality care and have compassion for people and who might like serving those who are suffering from disease, illness and/or injury the CNA profession might be a great choice. Since the OMNIBUS Act was passed in 1987 the nurse aide profession has been regulated by individual states. To work as a CNA in Michigan the individual must take an approved education course and pass the state exam, which is administered by Prometric.
The state of Michigan also contracts with Prometric to provide and maintain their state Nurse Aide Registry, which lists all licensed CNAs in the state. The registry list also documents any and all disciplinary actions or lapses in licensure for nurse aides in Michigan. This tool can be helpful to employers and is designed to protect the general public. The CNA license in Michigan must be renewed every two years.
Typical CNA training curriculum for Michigan students will include a dose of classroom lecture on subjects such as measuring and recording of patients vital signs, assisting patients with dressing, ambulating, intake and output amongst other things. There are 25 basic CNA skills which must be mastered prior to challenging the state exam. The assigned examiner will request the student to perform 5 skills chosen at random and they must be executed satisfactorily to achieve a passing score.
With unemployment rates ranging between 7.5-8.5% in Michigan from 2013-14 it is crucial for people to choose viable careers to avoid being stuck in unemployment or struggle finding job opportunities. Since all health care facilities must abide by state mandated minimum staffing requirements there is a built-in demand for certified nurse aides. The unemployment rate in Michigan for the health services sector of the economy is actually negative -0.2 which indicates that the demand for CNAs is strong and is projected to continue to grow well into the next decade. For those who start now, there might be possibilities for advancement in the near future. The average CNA salary in Michigan is $27,000 and varies according to number of years of experience, education level, current economic conditions, employer and specific location.
The first step to becoming a CNA in Michigan is to research education programs, choose one and enroll. This page lists state approved CNA training courses available online and at local campus schools. Review the list, contact individual schools to ask questions and select campuses to visit to begin your career.
CNA Training Classes in Michigan
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Since 1866, Davenport University has been providing students with real-world experience, giving them the edge they need to get the career they want.
Our goal is to offer guaranteed job placement to most of our students by 2020.
- Nursing Completion Program, BS
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!