How to Become a CNA in Michigan
With nearly 15% of persons in Michigan age 65 or older there is significant demand for health care providers. For those who enjoy providing quality care and have compassion for people and who might like serving those who are suffering from disease, illness and/or injury the CNA profession might be a great choice. Since the OMNIBUS Act was passed in 1987 the nurse aide profession has been regulated by individual states. To work as a CNA in Michigan the individual must take an approved education course and pass the state exam, which is administered by Prometric.
The state of Michigan also contracts with Prometric to provide and maintain their state Nurse Aide Registry, which lists all licensed CNAs in the state. The registry list also documents any and all disciplinary actions or lapses in licensure for nurse aides in Michigan. This tool can be helpful to employers and is designed to protect the general public. The CNA license in Michigan must be renewed every two years.
Typical CNA training curriculum for Michigan students will include a dose of classroom lecture on subjects such as measuring and recording of patients vital signs, assisting patients with dressing, ambulating, intake and output amongst other things. There are 25 basic CNA skills which must be mastered prior to challenging the state exam. The assigned examiner will request the student to perform 5 skills chosen at random and they must be executed satisfactorily to achieve a passing score.
With unemployment rates ranging between 7.5-8.5% in Michigan from 2013-14 it is crucial for people to choose viable careers to avoid being stuck in unemployment or struggle finding job opportunities. Since all health care facilities must abide by state mandated minimum staffing requirements there is a built-in demand for certified nurse aides. The unemployment rate in Michigan for the health services sector of the economy is actually negative -0.2 which indicates that the demand for CNAs is strong and is projected to continue to grow well into the next decade. For those who start now, there might be possibilities for advancement in the near future. The average CNA salary in Michigan is $27,000 and varies according to number of years of experience, education level, current economic conditions, employer and specific location.
The first step to becoming a CNA in Michigan is to research education programs, choose one and enroll. This page lists state approved CNA training courses available online and at local campus schools. Review the list, contact individual schools to ask questions and select campuses to visit to begin your career.
CNA Training Classes in Michigan
Career Quest Learning Centers offers programs in business, information technology, and health care that are designed to get you into your new career fast.
- Certified Nurse Aide
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Administration (AAS)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)