How to Become a CNA in North Carolina
A Certified Nursing Assistant, CNA, does her work under the supervision of other nurses and licensed medical professionals. They work behind the scenes helping improve patients’ lives.
You must complete a a state approved education program training in general nursing skills. The topics covered will include patient’s rights, basic diagnostic skills and emergency care. You will need to be knowledgeable about infection control and have CPR training. The minimum training time includes at least 16 clinical and 16 classroom hours with a combined total of 75 hours. The coursework may be from a correspondence school, online or local school as well as sponsored by an employer. If the coursework is considered certified, you will be considered to be a CNA.
CNA Certification and License Process
You will require a high school diploma to be accepted into a program and the program must be an accredited nursing assistant program. This will ensure that you will be trained properly and are familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures.
CNA Job Duties
The CNA is a vital member of the healthcare team and will be responsible with a variety of different tasks that will likely change on a day to day basis according to the needs of each patient. One layer of care will be the attention to the patient’s room for the optimal patient comfort. It must remain clean, disinfected and kept sanitary at all times.
Many work in a long term care facility or a nursing home. Here, they provide basic direct patient care in order to assist with all daily living activities. CNAs are expected to take vital signs, keep daily records along with assisting with basic necessities and patient grooming.
Help with the daily living activities will be ongoing both day and night. Patients will require help with eating, bathing, dressing, brushing their teeth and using the restroom. You will be the one to take up the stool and urine samples. These are often necessary for certain tests requested by physicians or laboratory technicians.
Periodically, you will be called upon to lift or move patients from their beds to wheelchairs or other portable equipment for transportation. CNAs with home health care actually will assist the client with light housework and meal preparation.
North Carolina CNA Job Outlook
It is the CNA who will be providing round the clock assistance for the personal care of the patient. There is a strong employment outlook for the future. The baby boomers are aging and will eventually be unable to meet their own daily personal needs.
There will be critical roles to fill in various medical communities as well as nursing homes, hospitals and residential care facilities. Rehabilitation centers and home health services will also be looking for more.
CNA Salaries in North Carolina
Variations on salary can depend on population size to the general competitiveness in the target market.The salary in North Carolina ranges from around $18,000 to around $24,000 per year. Keep your eye on the nursing facilities, they will often provide free training.
Patients love being greeted with a smile and friendly conversation. CNAs provide the much needed interaction. Their work with patients daily offer great emotional and physical support for the patients.
The lure of the healthcare field continues. The certified nursing assistants, or CNAs, are needed more than ever in North Carolina. As you gather more experience, you can apply for positions with more responsibilities and increased pay in hospitals, government agencies, schools or private companies. These employers are happy to pay more based on experience, offer many benefits as well as flexible schedules.
CNA Training Classes in North Carolina
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AAS Medical Assisting
- BS Nursing
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant - AS
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Certificate
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration