How to Become a CNA in Ohio
As the focus on healthcare increases and the standard of care in long term facilities are elevated certified nursing assistants (CNA) will be in greater demand. CNA candidates are required to complete a CNA training program mandated by the state that provides the necessary level of training to ensure CNAs have the proper knowledge and skill sets to perform the tasks that meet a certain level of quality care.
CNA training and licensing are governed by the Ohio Department of Health. CNAs must complete an approved training program and pass the state mandated exam to test competency and become licensed before being employed as a CNA.
The prerequisite to enroll in a CNA training program is to be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent. Applicants must also undergo a complete physical and a criminal background and fingerprint check.
An approved CNA program must include at least 75 hours of combined class work and clinical training. Programs can be found at healthcare facilities that provide training in exchange for employment, two and four year colleges and universities and vocational training centers. Class work undertaken includes understanding patient’s rights, dealing with emergencies, communication with supervisors and other healthcare staff and patients, basic nursing care and identifying abuse or neglect.
Clinical care tasks undertaken are patient hygiene and sanitation, bathing, feeding, transfer from bed to chair and back again, dressing, preparation for diagnostic testing and providing comfort.
Once the CNA program is successfully completed, the candidate must take the state mandated CNA licensing exam. Applicants for the exam must register with D&S Diversified Technologies, the exam administrators, and receive a date to test. The exam includes two parts. The written portion of the exam includes the completion of at least70 multiple choice questions and the second part of the exam is to complete five clinical tasks chosen at random by the exam evaluator. Both parts of the exam must be completed successfully to become licensed.
All licensed CNAs are added to the Ohio Nurse’s Aide Registry. Potential employers have the ability to check the status of licensing by checking out the registry. CNAs are also granted 120 days from the date of application to test to pass the test. Applicants who do not pass the exam within that 120 day time frame must terminate employment. CNAs have three chances to pass the exam and become licensed. CNAs are required to renew their license every twenty four months. CNAs cannot perform the work of a CNA without being properly licensed. A requirement of renewal is to be actively employed for at least seven and a half hours in a 48 hour period. CNAs will be notified three months prior to the expiration of the license that it is time to renew.
Job growth for CNAs is increasing at the rate of about 14% per year and will continue to grow for the next 10 to 12 years. There is a higher than normal turnover among CNAs as the CNA positions are used as a stepping stone to nursing and other medical and health staff careers. Employment opportunities can be found in nursing homes and hospitals, adult day care centers, private duty and home care and assisted care centers.
The average CNA salary is $28,000 annually. Larger facilities and those located in metropolitan areas may offer above the average salary. Slight salary adjustments are sometimes offered to those who work the night shift and holiday shifts are sometimes paid at time and a half. Other benefits included in the salary package may be health insurance, life insurance, retirement contribution, long term health care and tuition reimbursement.
CNA Training Classes in Ohio
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
Professional Skills Institute provides industry-modeled, hands-on medical training to prepare graduates for a new career as a Medical Office Assistant, Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, or Pharmacy Technician.
You could start your healthcare career in less time than you think! PSI is the choice for healthcare training that leads to employment.
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Office Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Practical Nursing AAS
- Medical Office Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)