How to Become a CNA in Ohio
As the focus on healthcare increases and the standard of care in long term facilities are elevated certified nursing assistants (CNA) will be in greater demand. CNA candidates are required to complete a CNA training program mandated by the state that provides the necessary level of training to ensure CNAs have the proper knowledge and skill sets to perform the tasks that meet a certain level of quality care.
CNA training and licensing are governed by the Ohio Department of Health. CNAs must complete an approved training program and pass the state mandated exam to test competency and become licensed before being employed as a CNA.
The prerequisite to enroll in a CNA training program is to be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent. Applicants must also undergo a complete physical and a criminal background and fingerprint check.
An approved CNA program must include at least 75 hours of combined class work and clinical training. Programs can be found at healthcare facilities that provide training in exchange for employment, two and four year colleges and universities and vocational training centers. Class work undertaken includes understanding patient’s rights, dealing with emergencies, communication with supervisors and other healthcare staff and patients, basic nursing care and identifying abuse or neglect.
Clinical care tasks undertaken are patient hygiene and sanitation, bathing, feeding, transfer from bed to chair and back again, dressing, preparation for diagnostic testing and providing comfort.
Once the CNA program is successfully completed, the candidate must take the state mandated CNA licensing exam. Applicants for the exam must register with D&S Diversified Technologies, the exam administrators, and receive a date to test. The exam includes two parts. The written portion of the exam includes the completion of at least70 multiple choice questions and the second part of the exam is to complete five clinical tasks chosen at random by the exam evaluator. Both parts of the exam must be completed successfully to become licensed.
All licensed CNAs are added to the Ohio Nurse’s Aide Registry. Potential employers have the ability to check the status of licensing by checking out the registry. CNAs are also granted 120 days from the date of application to test to pass the test. Applicants who do not pass the exam within that 120 day time frame must terminate employment. CNAs have three chances to pass the exam and become licensed. CNAs are required to renew their license every twenty four months. CNAs cannot perform the work of a CNA without being properly licensed. A requirement of renewal is to be actively employed for at least seven and a half hours in a 48 hour period. CNAs will be notified three months prior to the expiration of the license that it is time to renew.
Job growth for CNAs is increasing at the rate of about 14% per year and will continue to grow for the next 10 to 12 years. There is a higher than normal turnover among CNAs as the CNA positions are used as a stepping stone to nursing and other medical and health staff careers. Employment opportunities can be found in nursing homes and hospitals, adult day care centers, private duty and home care and assisted care centers.
The average CNA salary is $28,000 annually. Larger facilities and those located in metropolitan areas may offer above the average salary. Slight salary adjustments are sometimes offered to those who work the night shift and holiday shifts are sometimes paid at time and a half. Other benefits included in the salary package may be health insurance, life insurance, retirement contribution, long term health care and tuition reimbursement.
CNA Training Classes in Ohio
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Nursing (Post-licensure)
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Nursing - Associate of Applied Science
- And more...
- Medical Assisting
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Practical Nursing
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!