How to Become a CNA in Oklahoma
Certified nursing assistants (CNA) are trained to assist the nursing staff in delivering patient care. CNAs help patients with day to day routines such as dressing, bathing, toileting and feeding. CNAs work closely with the nursing staff and observe patient reaction to the environment around them, as well as changes in physical conditions that may require the attention of a nurse.
CNAs are required by state law to complete an approved training program and become licensed. All CNA programs must be approved and accredited by the Oklahoma Department of Health. The training programs are required to be a minimum of 120 hours in length and include class work and a minimum of 16 hours in clinical training in a healthcare facility.
Class work includes basic nursing care, medical terminology, addressing emergency situations, illness prevention, patients and working with incapacitated patients. Clinical training will include working with patients within a healthcare setting and providing the basic hygiene, dressing, feeding, transfer from bed to chair and chair to bed, assist with walking and observing the physical condition.
The CNA exam is divided into two parts and includes 72 multiple choice questions and a passing score is 75%. The second part of the exam is clinical performance. The exam evaluator will randomly choose 5 tasks for the examinee to perform. All tasks must be performed on a volunteer to the satisfaction of the exam evaluation board. The CNA candidate must pass both parts of the exam in order to be licensed.
A CNA candidate must hold a high school diploma or equivalency and be at least 18 years of age. The application to all CNA training programs include a criminal background and fingerprint check, a complete physical exam and the appropriate inoculations, such as a TB skin test.
Once the training program has been completed, the CNA candidate applies to D&S Diversified Technologies to take the Oklahoma State Nurse Aid Competency Test. Once the application has been approved, the applicant will be assigned a test date.
After passing the exam, the CNA will have to apply to the Oklahoma nursing registry to be listed as a licensed CNA. It may take up to 6 weeks before being officially certified and appearing in the registry, but CNA’s will be able to accept an offer of employment and begin work, by submitting the program completion certificate and notice of passing the exam. CNAs cannot legally perform the functions of a nursing assistant without being properly licensed.
CNAs can expect an average salary of $29,000 and a starting salary of $19,000. The actual salary will depend on geographic location, type of facility where employed and years of experience. Facilities in metropolitan areas tend to offer a slightly higher salary due to higher cost of living. CNAs can expect to receive some benefits as part of the compensation package and include health and dental insurance, retirement contributions, short and/or long term disability and tuition reimbursement.
CNAs are required to renew their license every two years. CNAs are required to document a minimum of 8 hours of CNA employment during the previous 24 months. Acceptable documentation includes verification of employment from an employer or a copy of a pay stub or W2. CNAs who cannot document that time will be required to take the written part of the licensing exam again to maintain licensing.
Employment opportunities for CNAs are found in nursing homes, hospitals, rehabilitative facilities, assisted care centers, private care and home care settings. CNAs work under the direction of a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNAs work one of three shifts, day evening or night and may be assigned a particular shift or assigned shifts on a rotating basis.
CNA Training Classes in Oklahoma
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...