How to Become a CNA in Oregon
Becoming a certified nursing assistant (CNA) can be a challenge, but it also brings great rewards. There is a great deal of satisfaction that can be garnished from helping others in a healthcare environment. Working as a CNA is also a stepping stone to a nursing career and will give the nursing student valuable healthcare experience.
CNAs work under the direction of a nurse, either a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNAs also work in tandem with the nursing staff to provide all around patient care. Part of the CNAs training is to observe patients for reactions to medication and the environment around them, as well as take note of the physical condition of patients and note any changes. CNAs keep the charge nurse apprised of each patient through notes and reports and verbal reporting.
The first step to becoming a CNA is to complete a CNA training program approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBON). Approved programs must encompass at least 150 hours with at least 51 hours of class work, 75 hours of clinical, hands on training and 24 hours completing laboratory work including phlebotomy and CPR training. Class work included in the CNA program is medical terminology, basic nursing care, patient rights, nutrition, phlebotomy and emergency response.
The prerequisite to enroll in a CNA program is to be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent. CNA program enrollees will also be required to complete a criminal background and fingerprint check to establish moral character and a complete physical examination to establish fitness to carry out the rigors of CNA duties.
The CNA exam is administered by Headmaster Testing Services through the D&S Diversified Technologies Company. The application to take the exam is submitted to the OSBON and after a review for completeness, the applicant will be required to register and take the exam through the testing service company.
The CNA exam is a two part test and includes a written exam that includes 77 multiple choice questions and a passing score is 65%. 90 minutes are allotted for the written exam. The second part of the exam is a demonstration of clinical skills. The exam evaluator will choose 5 CNA tasks at random and the applicant will have 45 minutes to complete each task. The passing score for the clinical skills test is 80%. The CNA candidate will be notified via postal mail of exam results. All CNAs who pass the exam will be listed in the Oregon State Board of Nursing Registry.
Once licensed, CNAs can pursue employment opportunities. Such opportunities will be found at long and short term care facilities including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care centers, rehabilitative care facilities and private and home care settings. The average Level I CNA salary is $29,000. The average salary is expected to rise slightly as the demand for qualified CNAs continue and opportunities increase. The Oregon Labor market expects CNA opportunities to increase by 24% through the year 2018.
CNAs are required to renew their license every two years. Renewal notices are sent to CNAs approximately 90 days before licenses expire. A license may be renewed online or through postal mail. Licenses must be renewed before the expiration date. CNAs who allow their license to lapse will be required to follow the license reinstatement procedure.
The duties of a CNA include helping patients with bathing, dressing, feeding, day to day activities, transporting patients to activities and physical therapy and weight monitoring. CNAs are also responsible for changing linens distributing breakfast, lunch or dinner at meal time and snacks if patients are hungry between meals.
CNA Training Classes in Oregon
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
Altierus is a non-profit, higher educational school system with 21 campuses in 11 states, operated as Altierus Career College or Career Education. And being a student here is different. Because we don't see you as just a student. We see you as an individual within our community with your own reasons for being here.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Associate of Applied Science - Medical Assistant
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AAS)
You can get started on a new career with Institute of Technology. We offer diploma and associate degree programs for careers in the culinary, technical, medical, business, and legal fields.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at www.iot.edu/disclosure.
- Professional Medical Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?