How to Become a CNA in Oregon
Becoming a certified nursing assistant (CNA) can be a challenge, but it also brings great rewards. There is a great deal of satisfaction that can be garnished from helping others in a healthcare environment. Working as a CNA is also a stepping stone to a nursing career and will give the nursing student valuable healthcare experience.
CNAs work under the direction of a nurse, either a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNAs also work in tandem with the nursing staff to provide all around patient care. Part of the CNAs training is to observe patients for reactions to medication and the environment around them, as well as take note of the physical condition of patients and note any changes. CNAs keep the charge nurse apprised of each patient through notes and reports and verbal reporting.
The first step to becoming a CNA is to complete a CNA training program approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBON). Approved programs must encompass at least 150 hours with at least 51 hours of class work, 75 hours of clinical, hands on training and 24 hours completing laboratory work including phlebotomy and CPR training. Class work included in the CNA program is medical terminology, basic nursing care, patient rights, nutrition, phlebotomy and emergency response.
The prerequisite to enroll in a CNA program is to be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent. CNA program enrollees will also be required to complete a criminal background and fingerprint check to establish moral character and a complete physical examination to establish fitness to carry out the rigors of CNA duties.
The CNA exam is administered by Headmaster Testing Services through the D&S Diversified Technologies Company. The application to take the exam is submitted to the OSBON and after a review for completeness, the applicant will be required to register and take the exam through the testing service company.
The CNA exam is a two part test and includes a written exam that includes 77 multiple choice questions and a passing score is 65%. 90 minutes are allotted for the written exam. The second part of the exam is a demonstration of clinical skills. The exam evaluator will choose 5 CNA tasks at random and the applicant will have 45 minutes to complete each task. The passing score for the clinical skills test is 80%. The CNA candidate will be notified via postal mail of exam results. All CNAs who pass the exam will be listed in the Oregon State Board of Nursing Registry.
Once licensed, CNAs can pursue employment opportunities. Such opportunities will be found at long and short term care facilities including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care centers, rehabilitative care facilities and private and home care settings. The average Level I CNA salary is $29,000. The average salary is expected to rise slightly as the demand for qualified CNAs continue and opportunities increase. The Oregon Labor market expects CNA opportunities to increase by 24% through the year 2018.
CNAs are required to renew their license every two years. Renewal notices are sent to CNAs approximately 90 days before licenses expire. A license may be renewed online or through postal mail. Licenses must be renewed before the expiration date. CNAs who allow their license to lapse will be required to follow the license reinstatement procedure.
The duties of a CNA include helping patients with bathing, dressing, feeding, day to day activities, transporting patients to activities and physical therapy and weight monitoring. CNAs are also responsible for changing linens distributing breakfast, lunch or dinner at meal time and snacks if patients are hungry between meals.
CNA Training Classes in Oregon
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AAS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Founded more than 130 years ago by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne has grown to become one of the nation's top Catholic universities. The school’s mission is to provide a well-rounded education that challenges students academically while nourishing their spiritual and ethical development. Today, Duquesne is home to 10 schools of study and serves more than 10,000 students.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...