How to Become a CNA in Oregon
Becoming a certified nursing assistant (CNA) can be a challenge, but it also brings great rewards. There is a great deal of satisfaction that can be garnished from helping others in a healthcare environment. Working as a CNA is also a stepping stone to a nursing career and will give the nursing student valuable healthcare experience.
CNAs work under the direction of a nurse, either a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNAs also work in tandem with the nursing staff to provide all around patient care. Part of the CNAs training is to observe patients for reactions to medication and the environment around them, as well as take note of the physical condition of patients and note any changes. CNAs keep the charge nurse apprised of each patient through notes and reports and verbal reporting.
The first step to becoming a CNA is to complete a CNA training program approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing (OSBON). Approved programs must encompass at least 150 hours with at least 51 hours of class work, 75 hours of clinical, hands on training and 24 hours completing laboratory work including phlebotomy and CPR training. Class work included in the CNA program is medical terminology, basic nursing care, patient rights, nutrition, phlebotomy and emergency response.
The prerequisite to enroll in a CNA program is to be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent. CNA program enrollees will also be required to complete a criminal background and fingerprint check to establish moral character and a complete physical examination to establish fitness to carry out the rigors of CNA duties.
The CNA exam is administered by Headmaster Testing Services through the D&S Diversified Technologies Company. The application to take the exam is submitted to the OSBON and after a review for completeness, the applicant will be required to register and take the exam through the testing service company.
The CNA exam is a two part test and includes a written exam that includes 77 multiple choice questions and a passing score is 65%. 90 minutes are allotted for the written exam. The second part of the exam is a demonstration of clinical skills. The exam evaluator will choose 5 CNA tasks at random and the applicant will have 45 minutes to complete each task. The passing score for the clinical skills test is 80%. The CNA candidate will be notified via postal mail of exam results. All CNAs who pass the exam will be listed in the Oregon State Board of Nursing Registry.
Once licensed, CNAs can pursue employment opportunities. Such opportunities will be found at long and short term care facilities including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care centers, rehabilitative care facilities and private and home care settings. The average Level I CNA salary is $29,000. The average salary is expected to rise slightly as the demand for qualified CNAs continue and opportunities increase. The Oregon Labor market expects CNA opportunities to increase by 24% through the year 2018.
CNAs are required to renew their license every two years. Renewal notices are sent to CNAs approximately 90 days before licenses expire. A license may be renewed online or through postal mail. Licenses must be renewed before the expiration date. CNAs who allow their license to lapse will be required to follow the license reinstatement procedure.
The duties of a CNA include helping patients with bathing, dressing, feeding, day to day activities, transporting patients to activities and physical therapy and weight monitoring. CNAs are also responsible for changing linens distributing breakfast, lunch or dinner at meal time and snacks if patients are hungry between meals.
CNA Training Classes in Oregon
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
- Our Healthcare programs prepare graduates for a booming Healthcare industry allowing them to apply their classroom knowledge in our simulation labs during educational scenarios and training exercises.
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (RN to BSN) expands knowledge in areas of research, theory, leadership, community concepts, healthcare policy and current trends in healthcare.
- The RN to BSN program is specifically designed for students to increase their understanding of advanced nursing roles. A Registered Nurse (RN) License is required prior to admitance to this program.
- The Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN) is uniquely focused on nursing education. This program fosters independent learning and cultivates an in-depth understanding.
- Students learn to implement nursing course curriculum using evidence-based practice throughout the duration of the MSN program while engaging in scholarly work, research and teaching practicum.
- At Hallmark University, we designed our simulation labs and facilities to look and feel just like a hospital and modern healthcare environments.
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!