How to Become a CNA in Pennsylvania
Certified nursing assistants (CNA) are in demand as the nature of nursing changes. With the advancement of healthcare options coupled with longevity, the growing population requires healthcare for longer periods of time. The field of nursing is expanding and through the year 2020, nursing assistant opportunities will increase by a rate of 20%.
To ensure the safety of the patients and the best care possible, CNAs are required to complete a training program approved by the Pennsylvania Board of nursing (PBON) and the State Health Department. The state age limit requires a candidate to be at least 16 years old to be eligible take the training program and state licensing exam, but some training facilities require an enrollee to be at least 18 years old and hold a high school diploma or equivalent. Candidates must also be proficient in math and English, pass a criminal background and fingerprint check and a complete physical exam and infectious disease screening.
The federal CNA training program requirements include a two part, 75 hour program covering class work and clinical training, but the state of Pennsylvania requires the program to cover class work and hands on clinical training in a 120 hour program. Clinical training must take place in a healthcare facility and allow the student to participate in hands on training.
After the training is completed, CNA candidates are required to pass a state mandated two part exam that includes a written portion and clinical skills demonstration. Both parts of the exam must be passed successfully to become licensed. Both parts of the exam are based on the class work and clinical skills training. The written exam includes 70 multiple choice questions, to be completed within 90 minutes, and the clinical skills portion requires the candidate to demonstrate 5 clinical skills chosen at random and evaluated by the examination board. 4 of the 5 clinical skills must be completed with 100% accuracy to pass this part of the test. When the CNA has successfully passed the exam, they will be added to the Board of Nursing Registry and receive a certificate within a reasonable time frame.
The exam is administrated by Pearson VUE Testing Services. After completing the training program, CNA candidates will register with Pearson VUE and then be assigned a date to test. The candidate has up to 24 months from the date of program completion to take the exam. If the exam is not taken within that time frame, the training program will have to be completed again.
With a valid license in hand, the CNA can seek out employment opportunities in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities, rehabilitative care centers and private home care and any other short or long term care facility. CNAs may work one of three shifts, day, evening or night and work on a rotating weekday, weekend basis.
CNAs are required to renew their license every two years. CNAs must be able to document at least 8 hours of CNA employment. The license can be renewed online or via postal mail.
The average CNA salary is $28,000 annually. The staring salary is $19,000 annually. Salary will increase with additional and specialized training and experience. The actual salary will also depend on the facility where employed, geographic location of the facility and years of experience. The maximum CNA salary will top out at about $49,000.
Becoming a CNA is often used as a stepping stone to a nursing career. Nursing students often become CNAs to increase their level of experience while attending school and often times will find better nursing opportunities upon graduation because of their CNA training and experience.
CNA Training Classes in Pennsylvania
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant Technician (Associate in Specialized Technology Degree)
- And more...
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood Career Institute focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Medical Assisting - Associate
- Medical Assistant
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
No matter what occupation you choose to pursue, the competition for a good job is fierce. Lansdale School of Business (LSB) can help you stand out from the rest by teaching you the specific skills you need to succeed in the career you desire.
- Associate Degree-Medical Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education