How to Become a CNA in Rhode Island
A certified nursing assistant (CNA) is employed in the healthcare field and is trained to care for patients in a variety of healthcare settings. A CNA works under the supervision of a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). The CNA is the eyes and ears for the nursing staff and acts as the liaison between the patient and the nursing staff. Due to liability issues there are certain procedures a CNA cannot perform.
Eligibility to enroll in a CNA program requires the CNA candidates to be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED, complete a physical test, drug screening, and TB test and receive the required immunizations, as well as pass a criminal background check and fingerprint check.
CNAs find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care centers, adult day care centers and private home care. Nursing students often become CNAs while in school in order to gain valuable healthcare experience. Graduates from nursing school who worked as a CNA will sometimes find it easier finding employment.
CNA candidates are required to complete a 100 hour CNA program, approved by the Rhode Island Department of Health, that includes class work and clinical training and obtain a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) card. The CPR program is sometimes included in the CNA program. CNA programs take 7 to 14 weeks to complete. Topics included in the program include safety and emergency procedures, personal care skills, basic rehabilitative services, social services, resident’s rights and basic nursing skills.
Upon completion of the program, the CNA candidate is required to pass the state mandated, two part CNA exam that includes written and clinical capability demonstration. The exam must be taken within one year of the completion of the CNA exam. CNAs will have up to three opportunities to pass the exam. Nursing students who have completed at least two clinical courses are eligible to take the CNA exam. The exam is scheduled through the CNA program. The exam has 50 written questions and the exam evaluator will choose 5 clinical skills the candidate must perform. The skills are chosen at random, but almost always include proper hand washing.
CNA classes can be found at healthcare academies, vocational training centers and two and four year colleges and universities. There are also healthcare facilities that offer CNA training in exchange for a commitment to work at the facility for a specified period of time.
CNAs may accept employment upon graduation with the stipulation they will pass the CNA exam within 120 days from the effective date of employment. Candidates who change employment while in the 120 grace period will not re-start the 120 day clock.
CNAs are required to renew their license every 2 years on the 30th of June. CNAs are required to complete a minimum of 8 hours employment or a certified CNA program and pass the exam within the previous 24 months. Beginning with the second license renewal CNAs will be required to complete four nursing related continuing education hours.
The average CNA salary in Rhode Island is $30,000 annually. A newly licensed CNA with little or no experience can expect a starting salary of $23,000 annually. The demand for CNAs in Rhode Island as the turnover is high due to CNAs working toward a nursing degree. In addition to salary, CNAs will be offered a benefits package that includes health insurance coverage, compensated vacation and sick time, a salary differential for working the night shift, time and a half for working more than forty hours in a given work week and additional compensation for working on a holiday when not originally scheduled to work.
CNA Training Classes in Rhode Island
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...