How to Become a CNA in South Carolina
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) assist nurses with the day to day care of ill, elderly and disabled patients. CNAs are considered to be the backbone of the nursing staff. They spend more time with the patients assisting with a variety of tasks including bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, grooming and any other requests that may come up. CNAs are the eyes and ears of the nursing staff and report changes in patient conditions to the floor nurse.
CNA candidates are required to complete a training program and pass the state mandated exam before becoming a CNA. The CNA programs must be approved by the South Carolina Board of Nursing (SCBON) and be a combination of clinical training and class work. The CNA training program must be a minimum of 100 hours. Clinical training must offer hands on patient care within a healthcare facility.
Before enrolling in a CNA program, candidates must be a high school graduate, or earned a high school equivalency certificate and be 18 years old. Class work includes taking vital signs, emergency procedures, basic nursing care, medical terminology, nutrition, first aid and CPR and communication skills. Clinical training will provide students with instruction regarding the physical treatment of patients. CNA candidates must also pass a criminal background and fingerprint check, as well as a complete physical and drug test.
After completing the training program and with a clear criminal background and fingerprint check in hand, the CNA candidate is required to pass the state mandated licensing exam. CNA exams are scheduled throughout the year on a monthly basis at a variety of testing sites. CNAs should apply to take the exam at the most convenient location. The exam is a two part test that includes a written exam and demonstration of clinical skills. The candidate must pass the written exam with at least a 75% and perform 5 clinical tasks that the evaluator will choose at random.
The CNA has up to three chances to pass the licensing exam and if the candidate does not pass the exam by the third try will be required to complete the CNA training program again. The candidate also has a 90 day grace period after completing the program and taking the exam for the first time to seek and begin employment as a CNA. If the exam is not passed within the 90 day time frame, any employment opportunities become null and void.
Upon passing the exam and becoming licensed, the CNA will apply to the SCBON to be included as a CNA on the Board of Nursing Registry. The registry gives potential employers the ability to check the status of a license at any time and if disciplinary action has been taken against a particular license.
CNAs are required to renew their license every 24 months and the renewal process must be completed before the actual expiration date in order for the license to remain valid without interruption. Licenses can be renewed online or via postal mail.
CNAs find employment in short and long term care facilities, such as nursing homes and assisted care facilities, hospitals, rehabilitative care facilities, as well as private home care. CNAs work under the direction of a nurse, either a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNAs may also take direction from a physician, but it should always be through the nurse in charge.
The average salary for a CNA is $30,000. The starting salary is about $22,000. The actual salary will depend on the type of facility where employed, years of experience and geographic location. CNAs are necessary 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, holidays included. Most facilities that employ CNAs assign shifts on a rotating weekday and weekend schedule.
CNA Training Classes in South Carolina
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assisting
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AAS Medical Assisting
- BS Health Science (Post PTA)
- And more...
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- AOS Medical Assisting - Management Concentration
- AOS Medical Assisting - Clinical Concentration
- Medical Assistant Certificate
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Applied Science
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education (Bridge)