How to Become a CNA in South Carolina
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) assist nurses with the day to day care of ill, elderly and disabled patients. CNAs are considered to be the backbone of the nursing staff. They spend more time with the patients assisting with a variety of tasks including bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, grooming and any other requests that may come up. CNAs are the eyes and ears of the nursing staff and report changes in patient conditions to the floor nurse.
CNA candidates are required to complete a training program and pass the state mandated exam before becoming a CNA. The CNA programs must be approved by the South Carolina Board of Nursing (SCBON) and be a combination of clinical training and class work. The CNA training program must be a minimum of 100 hours. Clinical training must offer hands on patient care within a healthcare facility.
Before enrolling in a CNA program, candidates must be a high school graduate, or earned a high school equivalency certificate and be 18 years old. Class work includes taking vital signs, emergency procedures, basic nursing care, medical terminology, nutrition, first aid and CPR and communication skills. Clinical training will provide students with instruction regarding the physical treatment of patients. CNA candidates must also pass a criminal background and fingerprint check, as well as a complete physical and drug test.
After completing the training program and with a clear criminal background and fingerprint check in hand, the CNA candidate is required to pass the state mandated licensing exam. CNA exams are scheduled throughout the year on a monthly basis at a variety of testing sites. CNAs should apply to take the exam at the most convenient location. The exam is a two part test that includes a written exam and demonstration of clinical skills. The candidate must pass the written exam with at least a 75% and perform 5 clinical tasks that the evaluator will choose at random.
The CNA has up to three chances to pass the licensing exam and if the candidate does not pass the exam by the third try will be required to complete the CNA training program again. The candidate also has a 90 day grace period after completing the program and taking the exam for the first time to seek and begin employment as a CNA. If the exam is not passed within the 90 day time frame, any employment opportunities become null and void.
Upon passing the exam and becoming licensed, the CNA will apply to the SCBON to be included as a CNA on the Board of Nursing Registry. The registry gives potential employers the ability to check the status of a license at any time and if disciplinary action has been taken against a particular license.
CNAs are required to renew their license every 24 months and the renewal process must be completed before the actual expiration date in order for the license to remain valid without interruption. Licenses can be renewed online or via postal mail.
CNAs find employment in short and long term care facilities, such as nursing homes and assisted care facilities, hospitals, rehabilitative care facilities, as well as private home care. CNAs work under the direction of a nurse, either a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNAs may also take direction from a physician, but it should always be through the nurse in charge.
The average salary for a CNA is $30,000. The starting salary is about $22,000. The actual salary will depend on the type of facility where employed, years of experience and geographic location. CNAs are necessary 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, holidays included. Most facilities that employ CNAs assign shifts on a rotating weekday and weekend schedule.
CNA Training Classes in South Carolina
- Keiser University Online
- Offering 100% online programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees at Keiser!
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (Post PTA)
- Associate of Applied Science Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!