How to Become a CNA in South Carolina
Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) assist nurses with the day to day care of ill, elderly and disabled patients. CNAs are considered to be the backbone of the nursing staff. They spend more time with the patients assisting with a variety of tasks including bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, grooming and any other requests that may come up. CNAs are the eyes and ears of the nursing staff and report changes in patient conditions to the floor nurse.
CNA candidates are required to complete a training program and pass the state mandated exam before becoming a CNA. The CNA programs must be approved by the South Carolina Board of Nursing (SCBON) and be a combination of clinical training and class work. The CNA training program must be a minimum of 100 hours. Clinical training must offer hands on patient care within a healthcare facility.
Before enrolling in a CNA program, candidates must be a high school graduate, or earned a high school equivalency certificate and be 18 years old. Class work includes taking vital signs, emergency procedures, basic nursing care, medical terminology, nutrition, first aid and CPR and communication skills. Clinical training will provide students with instruction regarding the physical treatment of patients. CNA candidates must also pass a criminal background and fingerprint check, as well as a complete physical and drug test.
After completing the training program and with a clear criminal background and fingerprint check in hand, the CNA candidate is required to pass the state mandated licensing exam. CNA exams are scheduled throughout the year on a monthly basis at a variety of testing sites. CNAs should apply to take the exam at the most convenient location. The exam is a two part test that includes a written exam and demonstration of clinical skills. The candidate must pass the written exam with at least a 75% and perform 5 clinical tasks that the evaluator will choose at random.
The CNA has up to three chances to pass the licensing exam and if the candidate does not pass the exam by the third try will be required to complete the CNA training program again. The candidate also has a 90 day grace period after completing the program and taking the exam for the first time to seek and begin employment as a CNA. If the exam is not passed within the 90 day time frame, any employment opportunities become null and void.
Upon passing the exam and becoming licensed, the CNA will apply to the SCBON to be included as a CNA on the Board of Nursing Registry. The registry gives potential employers the ability to check the status of a license at any time and if disciplinary action has been taken against a particular license.
CNAs are required to renew their license every 24 months and the renewal process must be completed before the actual expiration date in order for the license to remain valid without interruption. Licenses can be renewed online or via postal mail.
CNAs find employment in short and long term care facilities, such as nursing homes and assisted care facilities, hospitals, rehabilitative care facilities, as well as private home care. CNAs work under the direction of a nurse, either a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNAs may also take direction from a physician, but it should always be through the nurse in charge.
The average salary for a CNA is $30,000. The starting salary is about $22,000. The actual salary will depend on the type of facility where employed, years of experience and geographic location. CNAs are necessary 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, holidays included. Most facilities that employ CNAs assign shifts on a rotating weekday and weekend schedule.
CNA Training Classes in South Carolina
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Miller-Motte Colleges and Miller-Motte Technical Colleges comprise the Miller-Motte family of schools which is part of Ancora Education. For over a century, Miller-Motte has been a reputable leader in private career education.
- Medical Clinical Assistant
- Medical Clinical Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Certificate
- Medical Office Specialist Certificate
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Helms College, a nonprofit post-secondary career college operated by Goodwill Industries of Middle Georgia and the CSRA, has been granted continued accreditation by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), a national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Multi-Skilled Medical Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration