How to Become a CNA in South Dakota
Students interested in becoming a CNA in South Dakota will start by making sure they meet certain minimum guidelines. The applicant must have a clean and clear criminal background history, be at least eighteen years of age, possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree. The individual must also have a strong passion for providing care for others. The CNA is charged with providing direct care for patients who are ill, diseased or injured. Certified Nursing Assistants work on the front lines of health care and must be able to handle a fast-paced work environment.
Once the above items have been checked off your list you can begin considering individual training schools or institutions. This page lists all state approved schools and training courses throughout South Dakota and online. A good way to decide between different schools is by comparing online peer reviews, graduation rates, job placement and state exam pass rates. Schools with a poor track record of success amongst their graduates are not likely to be a good fit.
The CNA training curriculum must be at least 75 hours in South Dakota and must provide students with the necessary skills they need to perform the job duties and functions of a nursing assistant. Clinical skills must be practiced and tested in a real health care environment such as a nursing home or hospital before the person can become licensed to work as a CNA. There is no room for error on the clinical skills portion of the state CNA certification exam; failing to perform any one of the requested skills will result in a failing grade on the entire exam.
Nursing home based programs can be appealing because the cost of tuition is usually covered by the facility in exchange for a period of employment once licensed. Other schools might offer more job flexibility by not requiring employment upon completion and by possibly having a job placement program in place to help recent graduates find the best employment opportunities. Typical tuition costs for CNA training in South Dakota will range between $500-$1500 depending on the institution.
CNA Training Classes in South Dakota
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate (MSN to FNP)
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- RN to MSN (Online)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- RN to MSN Informatics Specialization
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)