How to Become a CNA in South Dakota
Students interested in becoming a CNA in South Dakota will start by making sure they meet certain minimum guidelines. The applicant must have a clean and clear criminal background history, be at least eighteen years of age, possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree. The individual must also have a strong passion for providing care for others. The CNA is charged with providing direct care for patients who are ill, diseased or injured. Certified Nursing Assistants work on the front lines of health care and must be able to handle a fast-paced work environment.
Once the above items have been checked off your list you can begin considering individual training schools or institutions. This page lists all state approved schools and training courses throughout South Dakota and online. A good way to decide between different schools is by comparing online peer reviews, graduation rates, job placement and state exam pass rates. Schools with a poor track record of success amongst their graduates are not likely to be a good fit.
The CNA training curriculum must be at least 75 hours in South Dakota and must provide students with the necessary skills they need to perform the job duties and functions of a nursing assistant. Clinical skills must be practiced and tested in a real health care environment such as a nursing home or hospital before the person can become licensed to work as a CNA. There is no room for error on the clinical skills portion of the state CNA certification exam; failing to perform any one of the requested skills will result in a failing grade on the entire exam.
Nursing home based programs can be appealing because the cost of tuition is usually covered by the facility in exchange for a period of employment once licensed. Other schools might offer more job flexibility by not requiring employment upon completion and by possibly having a job placement program in place to help recent graduates find the best employment opportunities. Typical tuition costs for CNA training in South Dakota will range between $500-$1500 depending on the institution.
CNA Training Classes in South Dakota
- Medical Assisting A.A.S.
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Nursing BSN B.S.
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
Brenau Adult and Graduate Studies: Designed with You in Mind
If you are a busy, working adult, Brenau offers professionally focused undergraduate and graduate degrees and professional certification programs in flexible, convenient formats that meet your goals and fit your schedule. Brenau has a rich history of 135 years, with more than 35 years of experience in delivering programs for adults. As a Brenau student, you can schedule your classes in a format that is convenient to you. Many of our programs can be completed 100% online.
- Middle Grades Education (Ed.S.)