How to Become a CNA in Tennessee
Tennessee is a very easy state to become a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) because they accept many forms of pre qualification. Tennessee accepts reciprocity applications form all other states except Georgia, North Carolina and Florida. Outside of those excluded states, a CNA from another state can move to Tennessee and apply for CNA license through reciprocity as long as they don’t have any documented instances of abuse or disciplinary action against them. Tennessee also allows trained military medics, LPNs and RNs to challenge the state certification exam without taking any CNA training course.
Individuals who don’t meet any of the above mentioned criteria who want to become a CNA in Tennessee can enroll in a state approved nurse aide training program and then they will be eligible to sit for the state exam. Training courses in Tennessee only require 75 credit hours, and must include at least 16 hours in the following subjects: Communication and Interpersonal Skills, Residents Rights, Residents Independence, Safety and Emergency Procedures including the Heimlich Maneuver, and Infection Control. All CNA education courses should be held by a Registered Nurse as the instructor and must prepare the students to be able to perform the 25 basic skills required of a CNA. The state exam will test 5 of these skills at random.
Since the CNA training program is only 4-8 weeks long, students can quickly become certified and enter the job market. Being trained as a CNA is a highly marketable skill since long term care facilities and nursing homes rely primarily on the nurse aide staff to provide all of the direct patient care. Each state has a minimum number of nurse aides required per patient that applies to care facilities. Therefore there is a built-in demand for CNAs as long as people are getting older.
CNA employment opportunities are not limited to long term care facilities, there will also be job openings in hospitals, rehab centers, health clinics and private doctors offices. The CNA salary range in Tennessee is between $22,000-$28,000 per year depending on experience, employer, location and economy. Working as a nurse aide can be rewarding and also very challenging as the job requires providing lots of care and attention to sick and injured persons. The CNA is on the front lines of the health care team and interacts directly with patients during each workday.
This page lists state approved programs for students in Tennessee who want to complete the CNA education requirement and challenge the certification exam. Our listings include TN state approved courses with contact information for each school. We also list online schools that offer CNA training for Tennessee students. We encourage students to research multiple schools before enrolling and do their due diligence in selecting the training program that best suits their needs.
CNA Training Classes in Tennessee
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Medical Assisting - Associate
- Dental Assisting, Associates Degree
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
Miller-Motte Colleges and Miller-Motte Technical Colleges comprise the Miller-Motte family of schools which is part of Ancora Education. For over a century, Miller-Motte has been a reputable leader in private career education.
- Medical Clinical Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)