How to Become a CNA in Tennessee
Tennessee is a very easy state to become a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) because they accept many forms of pre qualification. Tennessee accepts reciprocity applications form all other states except Georgia, North Carolina and Florida. Outside of those excluded states, a CNA from another state can move to Tennessee and apply for CNA license through reciprocity as long as they don’t have any documented instances of abuse or disciplinary action against them. Tennessee also allows trained military medics, LPNs and RNs to challenge the state certification exam without taking any CNA training course.
Individuals who don’t meet any of the above mentioned criteria who want to become a CNA in Tennessee can enroll in a state approved nurse aide training program and then they will be eligible to sit for the state exam. Training courses in Tennessee only require 75 credit hours, and must include at least 16 hours in the following subjects: Communication and Interpersonal Skills, Residents Rights, Residents Independence, Safety and Emergency Procedures including the Heimlich Maneuver, and Infection Control. All CNA education courses should be held by a Registered Nurse as the instructor and must prepare the students to be able to perform the 25 basic skills required of a CNA. The state exam will test 5 of these skills at random.
Since the CNA training program is only 4-8 weeks long, students can quickly become certified and enter the job market. Being trained as a CNA is a highly marketable skill since long term care facilities and nursing homes rely primarily on the nurse aide staff to provide all of the direct patient care. Each state has a minimum number of nurse aides required per patient that applies to care facilities. Therefore there is a built-in demand for CNAs as long as people are getting older.
CNA employment opportunities are not limited to long term care facilities, there will also be job openings in hospitals, rehab centers, health clinics and private doctors offices. The CNA salary range in Tennessee is between $22,000-$28,000 per year depending on experience, employer, location and economy. Working as a nurse aide can be rewarding and also very challenging as the job requires providing lots of care and attention to sick and injured persons. The CNA is on the front lines of the health care team and interacts directly with patients during each workday.
This page lists state approved programs for students in Tennessee who want to complete the CNA education requirement and challenge the certification exam. Our listings include TN state approved courses with contact information for each school. We also list online schools that offer CNA training for Tennessee students. We encourage students to research multiple schools before enrolling and do their due diligence in selecting the training program that best suits their needs.
CNA Training Classes in Tennessee
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Associate Degree in Nursing
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Nursing (Post-licensure)
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Certificate in Medical Assisting
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science with a Concentration in Nuclear Medicine
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!