How to Become a CNA in Texas
Interested in becoming a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) in Texas? Here are the steps to follow. First you can start by making sure you are eighteen years of age, have a high school diploma and a clean criminal background. The next step will be to research CNA education programs in Texas starting the the list provided on this page and select a program to enroll in.
Programs are required by the state of Texas to include at least 100 credit hours, 60 classroom hours and 40 hours of hands-on clinical skills training in a nursing facility. Online CNA courses are available in Texas, but the clinical skills training will have to be completed in person at a specified facility. Courses that only include online learning and do not have a clinical skills component will NOT qualify the individual to sit for the state exam or become a licensed CNA in Texas.
Programs vary slightly in their teaching methods and approach, but each program must follow the prescribed curriculum set forth by DADS (Department of Aging and Disability Services) to properly prepare its students to pass the state certification exam and work as a CNA in Texas. There are 25 basic skills that all CNAs must be able to perform. 5 of these skills will be selected at random by the test administrator and the individual will have to demonstrate them to pass the test. The exam will also include a number of written multiple choice questions.
Working as a CNA you will be required to provide direct care to patients, including ambulating, dressing, measuring and recording vital signs, assistance with bathing, dressing, intake/output, transferring patients to and from beds and wheelchairs, range of motion exercises, infection control, hygiene including daily mouth care and other direct patient services. The job can be challenging as many CNAs care for multiple patients at one time and work in fast-paced environments.
You can review the list of state approved CNA training programs in Texas below to identify schools of interest. We recommend that prospective students take their time to research each individual school and program to make sure it is a good fit prior to enrolling. Average cost for a CNA program in Texas is around $600-$1200 including books and tuition. Typical time to complete a CNA training program in Texas is 4-8 weeks.
CNA Training Classes in Texas
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Vocational Nursing
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
- Practical Nursing
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Diploma in Dental Assisting
Get hands-on training with South Texas Vocational Technical Institute. We offer a number of diploma programs in the skilled trades and health and wellness fields at our campuses in Weslaco, Corpus Christi, McAllen, San Antonio, and Brownsville, Texas.
- Medical Administrative Assisting Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Advanced Practice Nurse
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Executive Nursing Leadership