How to Become a CNA in Texas
Interested in becoming a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) in Texas? Here are the steps to follow. First you can start by making sure you are eighteen years of age, have a high school diploma and a clean criminal background. The next step will be to research CNA education programs in Texas starting the the list provided on this page and select a program to enroll in.
Programs are required by the state of Texas to include at least 100 credit hours, 60 classroom hours and 40 hours of hands-on clinical skills training in a nursing facility. Online CNA courses are available in Texas, but the clinical skills training will have to be completed in person at a specified facility. Courses that only include online learning and do not have a clinical skills component will NOT qualify the individual to sit for the state exam or become a licensed CNA in Texas.
Programs vary slightly in their teaching methods and approach, but each program must follow the prescribed curriculum set forth by DADS (Department of Aging and Disability Services) to properly prepare its students to pass the state certification exam and work as a CNA in Texas. There are 25 basic skills that all CNAs must be able to perform. 5 of these skills will be selected at random by the test administrator and the individual will have to demonstrate them to pass the test. The exam will also include a number of written multiple choice questions.
Working as a CNA you will be required to provide direct care to patients, including ambulating, dressing, measuring and recording vital signs, assistance with bathing, dressing, intake/output, transferring patients to and from beds and wheelchairs, range of motion exercises, infection control, hygiene including daily mouth care and other direct patient services. The job can be challenging as many CNAs care for multiple patients at one time and work in fast-paced environments.
You can review the list of state approved CNA training programs in Texas below to identify schools of interest. We recommend that prospective students take their time to research each individual school and program to make sure it is a good fit prior to enrolling. Average cost for a CNA program in Texas is around $600-$1200 including books and tuition. Typical time to complete a CNA training program in Texas is 4-8 weeks.
CNA Training Classes in Texas
UEI College (Formally Anthem College – Bryman School) is for individuals who seek to achieve more with their lives through education and training. No matter what stage of life you find yourself in, it is never too late to set new goals for yourself.
- Medical Assistant Technician - DIP
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting, AAS
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- And more...
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Medical Assistant-Certificate
- Dental Assistant Certificate
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
- Medical Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)