How to Become a CNA in Texas
Interested in becoming a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) in Texas? Here are the steps to follow. First you can start by making sure you are eighteen years of age, have a high school diploma and a clean criminal background. The next step will be to research CNA education programs in Texas starting the the list provided on this page and select a program to enroll in.
Programs are required by the state of Texas to include at least 100 credit hours, 60 classroom hours and 40 hours of hands-on clinical skills training in a nursing facility. Online CNA courses are available in Texas, but the clinical skills training will have to be completed in person at a specified facility. Courses that only include online learning and do not have a clinical skills component will NOT qualify the individual to sit for the state exam or become a licensed CNA in Texas.
Programs vary slightly in their teaching methods and approach, but each program must follow the prescribed curriculum set forth by DADS (Department of Aging and Disability Services) to properly prepare its students to pass the state certification exam and work as a CNA in Texas. There are 25 basic skills that all CNAs must be able to perform. 5 of these skills will be selected at random by the test administrator and the individual will have to demonstrate them to pass the test. The exam will also include a number of written multiple choice questions.
Working as a CNA you will be required to provide direct care to patients, including ambulating, dressing, measuring and recording vital signs, assistance with bathing, dressing, intake/output, transferring patients to and from beds and wheelchairs, range of motion exercises, infection control, hygiene including daily mouth care and other direct patient services. The job can be challenging as many CNAs care for multiple patients at one time and work in fast-paced environments.
You can review the list of state approved CNA training programs in Texas below to identify schools of interest. We recommend that prospective students take their time to research each individual school and program to make sure it is a good fit prior to enrolling. Average cost for a CNA program in Texas is around $600-$1200 including books and tuition. Typical time to complete a CNA training program in Texas is 4-8 weeks.
CNA Training Classes in Texas
UEI College (Formally Anthem College – Bryman School) is for individuals who seek to achieve more with their lives through education and training. No matter what stage of life you find yourself in, it is never too late to set new goals for yourself.
- Medical Assistant Technician - DIP
- Business Studies
- Dental Assisting
- Medical Administrative Assisting Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Professional Massage Therapy
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration
- Automotive Service Technician
- Combination Welding
- Diesel Heavy Truck
- Medical Administrative Assisting Technology - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (Post PTA)
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Pre-Nursing
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Medical Assisting, AAS
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- Practical Nurse, Diploma
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!