How to Become a CNA in Texas
Interested in becoming a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) in Texas? Here are the steps to follow. First you can start by making sure you are eighteen years of age, have a high school diploma and a clean criminal background. The next step will be to research CNA education programs in Texas starting the the list provided on this page and select a program to enroll in.
Programs are required by the state of Texas to include at least 100 credit hours, 60 classroom hours and 40 hours of hands-on clinical skills training in a nursing facility. Online CNA courses are available in Texas, but the clinical skills training will have to be completed in person at a specified facility. Courses that only include online learning and do not have a clinical skills component will NOT qualify the individual to sit for the state exam or become a licensed CNA in Texas.
Programs vary slightly in their teaching methods and approach, but each program must follow the prescribed curriculum set forth by DADS (Department of Aging and Disability Services) to properly prepare its students to pass the state certification exam and work as a CNA in Texas. There are 25 basic skills that all CNAs must be able to perform. 5 of these skills will be selected at random by the test administrator and the individual will have to demonstrate them to pass the test. The exam will also include a number of written multiple choice questions.
Working as a CNA you will be required to provide direct care to patients, including ambulating, dressing, measuring and recording vital signs, assistance with bathing, dressing, intake/output, transferring patients to and from beds and wheelchairs, range of motion exercises, infection control, hygiene including daily mouth care and other direct patient services. The job can be challenging as many CNAs care for multiple patients at one time and work in fast-paced environments.
You can review the list of state approved CNA training programs in Texas below to identify schools of interest. We recommend that prospective students take their time to research each individual school and program to make sure it is a good fit prior to enrolling. Average cost for a CNA program in Texas is around $600-$1200 including books and tuition. Typical time to complete a CNA training program in Texas is 4-8 weeks.
CNA Training Classes in Texas
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assistant
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Medical Assistant-Certificate
- Dental Assistant Certificate
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Assistant-Associate
- Medical Assistant-Diploma
- Dental Assistant-Diploma
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Get hands-on training with South Texas Vocational Technical Institute. We offer a number of diploma programs in the skilled trades and health and wellness fields at our campuses in Weslaco, Corpus Christi, McAllen, San Antonio, and Brownsville, Texas.
- Medical Administrative Assisting Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting