How to Become a CNA in Utah
Nursing is a very challenging and rewarding career and that includes the field of certified nursing assistant (CNA). CNAs assist the nursing staff and take on a variety of tasks in the day to day care of patients. CNAs are necessary around the clock and work one of three shits including day, evening and night. Some facilities employ CNAs to work a particular shift on a regular schedule while other facilities employ CNAs on a rotating day/night, weekday/weeknight/weekend schedule.
The requirements to become a CNA in Utah include completing an approved training program and then passing the state mandated licensing exam. The training programs must be at least 80 hours in length and include a minimum of 50 hours of class work and four 8 hour clinical shifts. CNA candidates must also complete a CPR class and some programs include the class as part of the class work time. The class work includes medical technology, nutrition, effective communication, patient’s rights and reporting. The clinical segment of the training includes hands on training in a healthcare facility and candidates learn the proper way to help a patient in and out of bed, transfer to and from a wheel chair, dressing, washing, toileting and any other tasks that requires assisting patients.
At the successful completion of the training program, each candidate will receive a program completion voucher. The voucher is then sent to the Utah Nurse Aide Registration (UNAR) office and the UNAR will send an invitation to take the licensing exam along with a list of testing sites.
The licensing exam contains two parts. One part is multiple choice questions and the second part is skills demonstration. Candidates must pass both parts of the exam in order to become licensed. If the candidate does not pass both parts after three attempts, the training program must be taken again.
CNA’s in Utah earn an average of $28,000 annually. Starting CNA salaries average about $20,000 annually and top out at $39,000. The actual salary will vary depending on several factors including geographic location and cost of living, years of experience and the type of facility where worked.
CNAs work closely with patients and provide a variety of care tasks including dressing, hygiene, toileting, feeding, assist nurses and physicians with simple procedures, escort patients to various locations within the facility for events, entertainment and medical tests. Some CNAs also collect vital signs, patient history and observe the day to day changes a patient may experience.
CNAs are typically employed in long term care facilities such as nursing homes and assisted care facilities, but CNAs also find employment in outpatient care centers, rehabilitation facilities, group homes, clinics, adult daycare centers, home health care agencies, private duty home care and hospice organizations.
CNA Training Classes in Utah
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
At Broadveiw University, we prepare students for exciting careers in high-value fields. Imagine getting paid for what you love doing. It all starts with career-based training at Broadview University.
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Education