How to Become a CNA in Utah
Nursing is a very challenging and rewarding career and that includes the field of certified nursing assistant (CNA). CNAs assist the nursing staff and take on a variety of tasks in the day to day care of patients. CNAs are necessary around the clock and work one of three shits including day, evening and night. Some facilities employ CNAs to work a particular shift on a regular schedule while other facilities employ CNAs on a rotating day/night, weekday/weeknight/weekend schedule.
The requirements to become a CNA in Utah include completing an approved training program and then passing the state mandated licensing exam. The training programs must be at least 80 hours in length and include a minimum of 50 hours of class work and four 8 hour clinical shifts. CNA candidates must also complete a CPR class and some programs include the class as part of the class work time. The class work includes medical technology, nutrition, effective communication, patient’s rights and reporting. The clinical segment of the training includes hands on training in a healthcare facility and candidates learn the proper way to help a patient in and out of bed, transfer to and from a wheel chair, dressing, washing, toileting and any other tasks that requires assisting patients.
At the successful completion of the training program, each candidate will receive a program completion voucher. The voucher is then sent to the Utah Nurse Aide Registration (UNAR) office and the UNAR will send an invitation to take the licensing exam along with a list of testing sites.
The licensing exam contains two parts. One part is multiple choice questions and the second part is skills demonstration. Candidates must pass both parts of the exam in order to become licensed. If the candidate does not pass both parts after three attempts, the training program must be taken again.
CNA’s in Utah earn an average of $28,000 annually. Starting CNA salaries average about $20,000 annually and top out at $39,000. The actual salary will vary depending on several factors including geographic location and cost of living, years of experience and the type of facility where worked.
CNAs work closely with patients and provide a variety of care tasks including dressing, hygiene, toileting, feeding, assist nurses and physicians with simple procedures, escort patients to various locations within the facility for events, entertainment and medical tests. Some CNAs also collect vital signs, patient history and observe the day to day changes a patient may experience.
CNAs are typically employed in long term care facilities such as nursing homes and assisted care facilities, but CNAs also find employment in outpatient care centers, rehabilitation facilities, group homes, clinics, adult daycare centers, home health care agencies, private duty home care and hospice organizations.
CNA Training Classes in Utah
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AAS)
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner