How to Become a CNA in Vermont
Nursing is a fast paced career that offers challenge and something different every day. There is an increased need for entry level health care professionals and a certified nursing assistant (CNA) are very much in demand.
CNAs typically work in the long term care settings such as nursing homes and home health care, but will also find employment in clinics and hospitals. The average CNA salary is $27,000 annually and the starting salary is $21,000 annually. Part of the CNA salary is benefits that include health insurance and sometimes including dental and eye health, compensated time off, tuition reimbursement, retirement contribution and long term disability. Actual salary depends on geographic location where the cost of living may differ and years of experience.
CNA candidates are required by state law to attend a training program that includes 75 combined hours of class work and clinical training in a workplace setting. The training program must be approved by the Vermont Board of Nursing (VBON) and the Vermont Department of Health (VDOH). Candidates must hold a high school diploma or approved equal, and there is no age limit to enroll in such a program. According to the Federal Government, it is possible to be reimbursed by the government if employment is secured in a facility that supports a Medicare/Medicaid program. To be eligible for reimbursement for tuition, students must work in such a facility within 12 months of program completion.
Once the CNA training program has been competed candidates must pass the two part state licensing exam. The exam is given in two parts. The first part is a written exam that contains 75 multiple choice questions and the second part is a clinical demonstration before the evaluation board. Students must pass both the written exam before moving onto the clinical. CNAs must pass both parts of the exam to become licensed. Students must bring proof of high school education, passport type photograph and dressed in their clinical scrubs. If the student does not pass the exam after three tries, they will have to repeat the training program.
CNAs are required to renew their license every two years. CNAs are required to be licensed before practicing and that includes orientation. CNAs will be added to the Nurse Registry upon becoming licensed. CNAs must provide proof of being employed as a CNA for at least 50 days.
The tasks a CNA will undertake include dressing, feeding, toileting, observation, assisting a nurse or physician in routine diagnostic testing and weight management of patients. CNAs may also assist the nursing staff in other areas as well, such as taking vital signs and patient history.
CNA Training Classes in Vermont
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- AAS Medical Assisting
- BS Nursing Generalist
- AAS/ADN Nursing
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Practical Nurse (LPN)-CERT
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...