How to Become a CNA in Virginia
Choosing to become a certified nursing assistant (CNA) is one of a handful of professions that focuses on personal care rather than just medical care, and offers the opportunity to interact more directly with patients. Being a CNA is both challenging and rewarding and the right choice for a highly motivated individual in search of a fast paced career.
CNAs are very much sought after individuals who work with the nursing staff and provide personal and basic care to patients while under the direction of a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN). CNA opportunities are always increasing as healthcare options also increase. Medical candidates also become CNAs and work within the industry while pursuing other healthcare fields such as nursing, physician and medical technicians.
The state of Virginia requires all CNAs to complete an approved CNA training program and become licensed. The training program must cover 120 hours and include 60 hours of class work and 60 hours of clinical training. After completing the training program candidates are required to take the state mandated CNA exam. The exam is administered by Pearson VUE Testing Services and candidates must contact Pearson VUE to schedule the exam. The exam is a two part exam, one part being 75 multiple choice questions and the second part being the clinical task demonstration. The clinical demonstrations are performed before the chosen evaluation board. CNA candidates must pass both parts to become licensed. Candidates who pass the exam will be issued a license and those who do not pass the exam will be given another opportunity to take the exam.
Once licensed, CNAs are required to renew their license every two years. CNAs will be notified of renewal 60 days prior to license expiration and renewal is accomplished online. CNAs must document 8 hours of actual CNA employment within the 24 months prior to expiration to qualify for license renewal.
CNAs find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care centers and home and private duty care. CNAs typically work one of three shifts, day evening and night, and either work one typical shift or different shifts on a rotating basis to include weekdays, weekends and holidays.
CNAs assist the nursing staff with patient care and the tasks include toileting, dressing, feeding, personal hygiene, transporting patients to other areas of the facility for appointments, tests and recreational events and light housekeeping. CNAs also assist physicians and nurses with procedures if necessary, gather vital signs, document patient interactions when warranted and collect non-invasive fluid specimens.
The average CNA salary in Virginia is $29,000 annually. Starting salaries are about $20,000 annually and top out at about $48,000. The salary package for CNAs often include health benefits sometimes including dental and vision care, compensated time off, short and/or long term disability, tuition reimbursement, performance bonuses and night shift differential payments.
CNA Training Classes in Virginia
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education