How to Become a CNA in West Virginia
Working as a certified nursing assistant (CNA) is one of the several fields in the medical world that is very much in demand. With an increase in healthcare options, the advancement of medical technology and longevity, the population is requiring healthcare for longer periods of time. Opportunities for CNAs will continue to increased and an aggressive pace until the year 2020.
Becoming a CNA in West Virginia requires the candidate to meet several prerequisites including the completion of an approved CNA training program and pass the licensing exam mandated by the states Board of Nursing. Most CNA training programs require the student to be at least 18 years of age, hold a high school diploma or equivalent and complete a criminal background and fingerprint check, as well as a complete physical evaluation.
CNA training programs in West Virginia include a 120 hours of classroom study and laboratory training and of clinical training. Class work will cover 65 hours and clinical work will cover 55 hours. Clinical training must be completed in a facility that is approved by Medicare/Medicaid. There is no fee for the training programs for students who have a job offer from a Medicare/Medicaid approved facility. Most CNA training programs can be completed in six to eight weeks. All training programs must be approved by the West Virginia Board of Nursing (WVBON) in order to be a valid program.
When the student successfully completes the training program, the next step is to pass the CNA competency evaluation to become certified and licensed. The Professional Health Care Development company administers the exam. The exam is given in two parts and includes a written portion and a clinical demonstration portion. The clinical part of the test will be performed before an evaluation board and students will be asked to demonstrate five clinical tasks and incorporate safety, good hygiene, privacy practices and dignity when dealing with the patient in the demonstrations.
Both parts of the exam must be completed successfully in order to pass the exam and be placed on the West Virginia Nurse Aide Registry. Licensing is valid for two years and at the end of every two year period CNAs must renew their license.
The average starting salary for CNAs is $22,000 annually. The overall average salary for CNAs is $31,000 and an experienced CNA can possibly earn $40,000. The actual salary will depend on a variety of factors including geographic location coupled with the cost of living, number of years on the job and type of facility where employed. CNAs can increase their salary by pursing a nursing degree and a great many nurses use the CNA profession as a stepping stone in the nursing direction.
CNAs find employment in nursing homes and hospitals, as well as group homes, rehabilitative facilities, doctor’s offices, clinics, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and private home care.
CNA Training Classes in West Virginia
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...