How to Become a CNA in Wisconsin
A certified nursing assistant (CNA) is an integral part of the nursing staff and assist nurses with the everyday care of patients. The job can be demanding, but it is an ideal fit for anyone who wants to work in the nursing field in a challenging environment.
To become a CNA in Wisconsin requires candidates to complete a training program approved by the Wisconsin Board of Nursing and pass a state mandated licensing exam. The training programs must include 88 hours of class work and 32 hours of clinical training. The class work includes medical terminology, effective communication and reporting, nutrition, patient rights and confidentiality and patient observation. Clinical training takes place within a healthcare facility and candidates learn patient care and handling, fluid and food monitoring, tracking vital signs and CPR certified.
Candidates who successfully complete the training program will be allowed to take the state licensing exam. The licensing exam, which is also called the Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP), is administered by Pearson VUE Testing Services. Candidates must apply to take the exam within one year of program completion. The application to take the exam is submitted to the office of the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry. The application includes documentation of program completion and a criminal background and fingerprint check. Once the application is approved, the candidate will be notified with an exam date and a selection of testing sites.
The licensing exam is completed in two steps. The first step is a written or oral exam and the second part is a demonstration of clinical skills before an evaluation board. Candidates will have up to two chances to pass the licensing exam before being required to complete the training program again.
Once a CNA is properly licensed, the CNA will be listed in the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry and they can pursue CNA employment. CNAs are typically employed in long term care facilities, but will also find employment in other facilities, as well and include group homes, hospice organizations, visiting nurse organizations, private home care and rehabilitative facilities.
CNA tasks include assisting patients with toileting, feeding, dressing, transfer from bed to chair and back again, assist with walking, collecting vital signs, monitoring food and fluid intake and out go and escort to other parts of the facility for activities or other appointments.
The average CNA salary is $25,000 annually and tops out at about $48,000. The actual salary largely depends on several factors including type of facility where employed, years of experience and geographic location and the cost of living. CNAs can also increase their salary level by completing advance CNA care programs. Some facilities will pay a salary differential to employees who work the night shift.
CNA Training Classes in Wisconsin
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.)
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - BSN Track - Nurse Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - RN Track - Nurse Informatics