How to Become a CNA in Wisconsin
A certified nursing assistant (CNA) is an integral part of the nursing staff and assist nurses with the everyday care of patients. The job can be demanding, but it is an ideal fit for anyone who wants to work in the nursing field in a challenging environment.
To become a CNA in Wisconsin requires candidates to complete a training program approved by the Wisconsin Board of Nursing and pass a state mandated licensing exam. The training programs must include 88 hours of class work and 32 hours of clinical training. The class work includes medical terminology, effective communication and reporting, nutrition, patient rights and confidentiality and patient observation. Clinical training takes place within a healthcare facility and candidates learn patient care and handling, fluid and food monitoring, tracking vital signs and CPR certified.
Candidates who successfully complete the training program will be allowed to take the state licensing exam. The licensing exam, which is also called the Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP), is administered by Pearson VUE Testing Services. Candidates must apply to take the exam within one year of program completion. The application to take the exam is submitted to the office of the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry. The application includes documentation of program completion and a criminal background and fingerprint check. Once the application is approved, the candidate will be notified with an exam date and a selection of testing sites.
The licensing exam is completed in two steps. The first step is a written or oral exam and the second part is a demonstration of clinical skills before an evaluation board. Candidates will have up to two chances to pass the licensing exam before being required to complete the training program again.
Once a CNA is properly licensed, the CNA will be listed in the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry and they can pursue CNA employment. CNAs are typically employed in long term care facilities, but will also find employment in other facilities, as well and include group homes, hospice organizations, visiting nurse organizations, private home care and rehabilitative facilities.
CNA tasks include assisting patients with toileting, feeding, dressing, transfer from bed to chair and back again, assist with walking, collecting vital signs, monitoring food and fluid intake and out go and escort to other parts of the facility for activities or other appointments.
The average CNA salary is $25,000 annually and tops out at about $48,000. The actual salary largely depends on several factors including type of facility where employed, years of experience and geographic location and the cost of living. CNAs can also increase their salary level by completing advance CNA care programs. Some facilities will pay a salary differential to employees who work the night shift.
CNA Training Classes in Wisconsin
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Works closely with an advisory board from the medical community to ensure that their curriculum, equipment and instruction are current and relevant.
- Offers special tuition pricing for Veterans, Active Duty Military and spouses/qualifying dependents of all Active Duty, National Guard and Reserves.
- ABHES-accredited: An advantage upon graduation
- Short-term education: Programs range from 10 months to 2 years
- Blackboard Learn mobile allows students to complete assignments on the go.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...