How to Become a CNA in Wyoming
The field of nursing offers several career opportunities and certified nursing assistant (CNA) is one of them. CNAs are trained to assist nurses in the day to day care of patients, mostly in long term care facilities. Some nurses get their start working as CNAs while pursuing a nursing degree and many nurses find taking this route enhances their nursing career.
The need for qualified CNAs will continue to outpace supply as CNAs tend to move onto to nursing careers and the population continues to experience longevity. CNA candidates are required to complete a CNA training program approved by the Wyoming Board of Nursing (WBON) and pass a state mandate exam to demonstrate competency in order to become licensed. Candidates have up to one year from completing the training program to take the exam.
Training programs include class work and clinical training. Class work includes infection control, effective communication, medical terminology, patient’s rights, reporting and basic patient care. Students will also participate in a 40 hour clinical training program at a long term care facility.
After completing the CNA training program candidates are required to become licensed. The Wyoming Chapter of the American Red Cross administers the exam and candidates must apply to the Red Cross. Exam applicants are required to complete a criminal background and fingerprint check before taking the exam. Graduates of an approved program may apply for a temporary work permit to allow CNAs to begin employment while in the exam process. The permit is valid for 120 days and become invalid when the candidate takes the exam. If the candidate fails the exam, the temporary permit cannot be renewed.
CNA licenses expire on 31 December of every year and subject to renewal. CNAs are required to complete a minimum of 16 hours of employment as a CNA and 24 hours of in-service education hours every renewal period.
CNAs typically find employment in hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities, group homes, day surgery centers, doctor’s office and with visiting nurse and hospice organizations. CNAs can also find employment in private home care opportunities, must CNAs must work with a registered nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN) and that nurse must be available by telephone at all times, if they are not located on site.
The average CNA salary in Wyoming is $30,000 annually. The starting salary is about $22,000 and CNAs can top out at $44,000 annually with longevity. CNAs may also increase their salary by pursuing advanced CNA training programs and taking on greater responsibility. The actual salary depends on the cost of living in a particular geographic location, years of experience and type of facility where employed.
CNAs perform a variety of tasks including bathing, toileting, feeding, and dressing and undressing, transfer from bed to chair and chair to bed and escorting to activities, events and appointments around the facility.
CNA Training Classes in Wyoming
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education