Finding LPN Training Programs
Our website is designed to help current and prospective nursing students find the education programs they are seeking. We have compiled a hand-picked list of LPN training and education programs in each state for our visitors to browse. Our hand-crafted program lists are comprised of schools that are approved by the State Board of Nursing.
We also utilize a live software program that searches a wide database of campus schools and online colleges by geographic area and displays relevant results to our web visitors. The results are sorted by program type and state.
LPN Job Duties and Functions
The core competencies required of a practical nurse include providing excellent patient care, ensuring accuracy in their documentations of patient conditions and executing the orders provided by their supervising doctor or nurse in a precise manner. LPNs are responsible for a lot of data collection, such as measuring patients vital signs, changes in patients health conditions, reactions to medicines and/or treatments, sleep patterns and bowel movements. Recording patient data with very careful attention to detail is critical, as doctors and nurses rely on this data to make important decisions regarding the care of their patients. If the data is in-accurate or incomplete the patient can end up suffering the consequences.
The work structure that the LPN functions within includes working under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse (R.N.) or physician. In some cases less experienced LPNs may work under the supervision of a senior-level LPN. Many work schedules include nights, weekends and holidays since the demands of healthcare never cease. Many LPNs enjoy nice benefits packages since they work for healthcare providers.
LPNs play a crucial role in the delivery of health care services to individuals in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, health clinics, rehabilitation centers, hospitals and doctors offices. Since LPNs can serve in so many different health care environments this makes them highly employable, especially while demand for healthcare is growing rapidly. Many LPNs act as liaisons between doctors and patients/patients families. While doctors are busy devising care plans for many different patients they rely upon the LPN to further explain the recommended course of action, possible side effects, different outcomes to patients and their family members. Most patients will have questions and concerns about their medical condition and or treatments that the LPN can answer or document the concerns and summarize them so the doctor can provide a proper response.
Limitations to the role of an LPN will mainly be determined by individual state laws. Each state has their own discretion and regulations in place regarding the limited scope of a Licensed Practical Nurse. For example, in some states LPNs can administer medicine, and in other states they cannot. State licensing requirements also might differ slightly and minimum staffing requirements as well. A simple check with the state board of nursing can usually provide exact guidelines for LPN education, training requirements, staffing regulations and scope of practice.
LPN Education and Training Requirements
Practical Nurse training requirements are very straightforward; pre-licensure education requirements can be met by completing an approximately one-year training course or a two-year Associate’s degree program with a concentration in practical nursing. Any education program must be approved by the state in which the individual is seeking licensure and be accredited. Once the student obtains a certificate of completion they are allowed to make application for the NCLEX-PN examination. After passing the exam they can apply to become a Licensed Practical Nurse in that state.
Many states bar individuals with previous felony convictions from obtaining an LPN license. Most states also require the applicant to be at least 18 years of age and hold a high school diploma or equivalent degree. Licensing boards always prefer candidates with a strong sense of ethics and a genuine dedication to patient care.
Typical LPN training programs include coursework such as Human Anatomy, Physiology, Basic Chemistry, Biology and Microbiology, Nursing, Pharmacology, Legal/Ethical Compliance and Clinical Skills. Courses can be found at technical schools, community colleges, online schools and some four-year universities.
LPN Job Outlook and LPN Salary
As stated earlier, LPNs are considered very employable right now because of growing demand for healthcare services, further projected growth and expected retirement of many current LPNs. Bureau of Labor Statistics data confirms the above information and projects LPN job growth to move faster than most other occupations. The average LPN salary is just north of $40,000 per year and varies according to geographic location, education level, work experience, employment setting and current economic conditions.
Schools That Offer LPN Training Courses
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- And more...