Training Programs to Become an LPN in Alaska
Practical nursing in Alaska is a growing career with strong projected job demand for future years. Many individuals interested in a career in health care use the LPN position as a stepping stone to later move on to a different career position in nursing, hospital management or other health services.
Working as an LPN will give the individual experience and insight into what its like to work directly with patients, work under the supervision of doctors and RNs, and become comfortable working in different health care environments.
Training to become an LPN in Alaska is relatively simple and can be completed in a condensed one year course offered by a technical school or online college. Alternatively, training can be obtained through a two-year Associate’s degree program that includes the basic principles and prerequisites for practical nursing and additional courses in science, mathematics and English. The advantages of the two-year program are that it awards an Associate’s degree and better prepares the individual for further educational pursuits. The shorter one-year program is ideal for those seeking to start work as an LPN as quickly as possible.
Typical coursework included in an LPN training program includes classes such as Nursing Care of Adults in Acute Care, Foundations of Nursing, Parent-Child Nursing, Clinical Skills, Anatomy, Physiology, Nutrition, Microbiology, Human Lifespan Development and more. The coursework is designed to lay the proper foundation for LPN students to properly care for patients and also to be able to understand the underlying scientific principles behind modern medicine.
In-state tuition costs for an LPN program at a four-year university such as the University of Alaska at Anchorage range around $4,500 per year plus room and board. The costs of LPN training at a community college are much lower for those seeking to remain on a tight budget. LPN licenses in Alaska must be renewed every two years with the completion of 30 hours of CE coursework. The costs of continuing education courses are minimal and many schools offer this training online.
LPNs can make a strong salary working in Alaska hospitals, health clinics, private doctor’s offices and nursing facilities. Many experienced LPNs are making close to $50,000 per year in Alaska. That equates to an hourly wage of around $20-$25 per hour, which compares well to other professions with similar training requirements.
After completing a qualified state-approved practical nursing education program the graduate will be eligible to challenge the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nursing. If the student passes the exam, the State Division of Occupational Licensing will issue the student their License in Practical Nursing.
LPN Training Classes in Alaska
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
List of Approved AK Practical Nursing Schools
1251 Muldoon Road, Suite 103
Anchorage, AK 99504
3211 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508