Training Programs to Become an LPN in Alaska
Practical nursing in Alaska is a growing career with strong projected job demand for future years. Many individuals interested in a career in health care use the LPN position as a stepping stone to later move on to a different career position in nursing, hospital management or other health services.
Working as an LPN will give the individual experience and insight into what its like to work directly with patients, work under the supervision of doctors and RNs, and become comfortable working in different health care environments.
Training to become an LPN in Alaska is relatively simple and can be completed in a condensed one year course offered by a technical school or online college. Alternatively, training can be obtained through a two-year Associate’s degree program that includes the basic principles and prerequisites for practical nursing and additional courses in science, mathematics and English. The advantages of the two-year program are that it awards an Associate’s degree and better prepares the individual for further educational pursuits. The shorter one-year program is ideal for those seeking to start work as an LPN as quickly as possible.
Typical coursework included in an LPN training program includes classes such as Nursing Care of Adults in Acute Care, Foundations of Nursing, Parent-Child Nursing, Clinical Skills, Anatomy, Physiology, Nutrition, Microbiology, Human Lifespan Development and more. The coursework is designed to lay the proper foundation for LPN students to properly care for patients and also to be able to understand the underlying scientific principles behind modern medicine.
In-state tuition costs for an LPN program at a four-year university such as the University of Alaska at Anchorage range around $4,500 per year plus room and board. The costs of LPN training at a community college are much lower for those seeking to remain on a tight budget. LPN licenses in Alaska must be renewed every two years with the completion of 30 hours of CE coursework. The costs of continuing education courses are minimal and many schools offer this training online.
LPNs can make a strong salary working in Alaska hospitals, health clinics, private doctor’s offices and nursing facilities. Many experienced LPNs are making close to $50,000 per year in Alaska. That equates to an hourly wage of around $20-$25 per hour, which compares well to other professions with similar training requirements.
After completing a qualified state-approved practical nursing education program the graduate will be eligible to challenge the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nursing. If the student passes the exam, the State Division of Occupational Licensing will issue the student their License in Practical Nursing.
LPN Training Classes in Alaska
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Prepare for a Health Care Career with an Online Degree from Keiser University. Get Started Today!
- Keiser University has a variety of degree programs in the health care field including Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Health Science and more!
- From Medical Assisting to Health Science to Health Services Administration, Keiser can help you get started in the health care industry.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- We offer you the support and flexibility you need to fit education into your busy life with our one class at a time schedule
- Health Care - Bachelor Degree
- Healthcare - Online - Associate Degree
- Health Care - Master Degree
- And more...
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
List of Approved AK Practical Nursing Schools
1251 Muldoon Road, Suite 103
Anchorage, AK 99504
3211 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508