Training Programs to Become an LPN in Alaska
Practical nursing in Alaska is a growing career with strong projected job demand for future years. Many individuals interested in a career in health care use the LPN position as a stepping stone to later move on to a different career position in nursing, hospital management or other health services.
Working as an LPN will give the individual experience and insight into what its like to work directly with patients, work under the supervision of doctors and RNs, and become comfortable working in different health care environments.
Training to become an LPN in Alaska is relatively simple and can be completed in a condensed one year course offered by a technical school or online college. Alternatively, training can be obtained through a two-year Associate’s degree program that includes the basic principles and prerequisites for practical nursing and additional courses in science, mathematics and English. The advantages of the two-year program are that it awards an Associate’s degree and better prepares the individual for further educational pursuits. The shorter one-year program is ideal for those seeking to start work as an LPN as quickly as possible.
Typical coursework included in an LPN training program includes classes such as Nursing Care of Adults in Acute Care, Foundations of Nursing, Parent-Child Nursing, Clinical Skills, Anatomy, Physiology, Nutrition, Microbiology, Human Lifespan Development and more. The coursework is designed to lay the proper foundation for LPN students to properly care for patients and also to be able to understand the underlying scientific principles behind modern medicine.
In-state tuition costs for an LPN program at a four-year university such as the University of Alaska at Anchorage range around $4,500 per year plus room and board. The costs of LPN training at a community college are much lower for those seeking to remain on a tight budget. LPN licenses in Alaska must be renewed every two years with the completion of 30 hours of CE coursework. The costs of continuing education courses are minimal and many schools offer this training online.
LPNs can make a strong salary working in Alaska hospitals, health clinics, private doctor’s offices and nursing facilities. Many experienced LPNs are making close to $50,000 per year in Alaska. That equates to an hourly wage of around $20-$25 per hour, which compares well to other professions with similar training requirements.
After completing a qualified state-approved practical nursing education program the graduate will be eligible to challenge the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nursing. If the student passes the exam, the State Division of Occupational Licensing will issue the student their License in Practical Nursing.
LPN Training Classes in Alaska
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
List of Approved AK Practical Nursing Schools
1251 Muldoon Road, Suite 103
Anchorage, AK 99504
3211 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508