Training Programs to Become an LPN in Arizona
Practical nursing is a very hands-on profession which involves a lot of personal care including helping patients with hygiene, administering medicine and testing for abnormalities. The LPN position also demands a very detail-oriented individual who takes notice of any changes in patient’s condition and/or vital signs, records information accurately and is familiar with measurements and basic math calculations.
For those who are so inclined to take on this challenging and well-paid position there are many LPN schools throughout Arizona and online that offer courses to meet pre-licensure education requirements.
LPN training can be completed at a community college, four-year university or online school that offers a state-approved course. In 2012 Mohave Community College in Lake Havasu City AZ boasted the highest on-time graduation rate for students in a practical nursing program throughout the state of Arizona at an astounding 95%. Eight of the different Maricopa Community College campuses currently offer LPN training programs that meet state education requirements. While the student is the most important deciding factor in ultimate success, it is wise to choose a strongly recommended training program with a tenured faculty staff to ensure the best training possible. Many online colleges and universities offer convenient online LPN programs for students with busy work schedules, family commitments or difficulties reaching a nearby campus location. Many of these online programs are accredited and offer students great flexibility in the completion of their LPN training.
Beyond learning the clinical skills necessary to function as a practical nurse, most LPN training programs include classes such as Human Anatomy & Physiology, Mathematics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Fundamental Chemistry, Developmental Psychology, College Composition and General Biology. Shorter LPN programs are designed to give the student the basic fundamentals and knowledge required to perform the job duties of an LPN, whereas longer courses lay the framework for further study in Nursing or the later completion of a Bachelor’s degree program in the sciences.
After completing a state-approved training program the license to practice must be awarded by the Arizona State Board of Nursing after the individual has passed the NCLEX-PN examination and applied for their license. Certain items might disqualify an individual from obtaining an LPN license in Arizona, such as a felony conviction.
LPN career options and future job outlook are strong in Arizona. With a burgeoning elderly population, Arizona plays host to a large number of nursing homes, retirement communities and assisted living facilities. State guidelines have certain minimum staffing requirements for such facilities which include state-mandated numbers of nurses on staff per a certain number of residents or patients. This provides a fountain of opportunity for current and future LPNs working in the state of Arizona. Beyond caring for the elderly, Arizona LPNs can find employment in hospitals, health clinics, doctor offices and rehabilitation centers.
LPN Training Classes in Arizona
Arizona College prepares students to work in the 'real world' of medicine. With the use of lecture and laboratory teaching, we provide our students with hands on experience.
- Nursing- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Medical Assisting
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
At Denver College of Nursing, we believe good nurses are the future of quality healthcare. That’s why we strive to achieve excellence in healthcare education every day. We know our students can make a difference in others’ lives while in school by participating in SNA, community service, service –learning and GHP, as well as after graduation—and for years to come.
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
List of Approved AZ Practical Nursing Schools
4585 E. Speedway Boulevard
Tucson, AZ 85712
1601 W. Main
Mesa, AZ 85201
3000 N. Dysart Rd
Avondale, Arizona 85023
555 North 18th St, Suite 110
Phoenix, AZ 85006
Fast Track Practical Nursing Program
108 N. 40th St.
Phoenix, Arizona 85034
1801 Detroit Avenue
Kingman, Arizona 86401
Health Occupations Programs
5901 South Calle Santa Cruz
Tucson, Arizona 85709
The directory listings above indicate all of the Arizona state approved LPN programs currently available to students. Our site strives to provide the most accurate and update school listing information. If you encounter a bad link or outdated information please report it to us via email and we will research and make the necessary correction. We also welcome information or updates from students or staff members from the above listed schools.
There are several schools in Arizona that have state board approval to offer a Practical Nursing option in addition to their Associate Degree RN program, but not every one of these schools offers an LPN program. We suggest that students contact these schools individually or check their website for up-to-date information. Here are the names and websites of these schools:
Arizona Western College
Central Arizona College
Coconino Community College
Eastern Arizona College
MaricopaNursing at Chandler Gilbert Community College
MaricopaNursing at Estrella Mountain Community College
MaricopaNursing at GateWay Community College
MaricopaNursing at Glendale Community College
MaricopaNursing at Mesa Community College
MaricopaNursing at Paradise Valley Community College
MaricopaNursing at Phoenix College
MaricopaNursing at Scottsdale Community College
Mohave Community College
Northland Pioneer College
Pima Community College
Pima Medical Institute Mesa Campus
Pima Medical Institute Tucson Campus