Training Programs to Become an LPN in Arizona
Practical nursing is a very hands-on profession which involves a lot of personal care including helping patients with hygiene, administering medicine and testing for abnormalities. The LPN position also demands a very detail-oriented individual who takes notice of any changes in patient’s condition and/or vital signs, records information accurately and is familiar with measurements and basic math calculations.
For those who are so inclined to take on this challenging and well-paid position there are many LPN schools throughout Arizona and online that offer courses to meet pre-licensure education requirements.
LPN training can be completed at a community college, four-year university or online school that offers a state-approved course. In 2012 Mohave Community College in Lake Havasu City AZ boasted the highest on-time graduation rate for students in a practical nursing program throughout the state of Arizona at an astounding 95%. Eight of the different Maricopa Community College campuses currently offer LPN training programs that meet state education requirements. While the student is the most important deciding factor in ultimate success, it is wise to choose a strongly recommended training program with a tenured faculty staff to ensure the best training possible. Many online colleges and universities offer convenient online LPN programs for students with busy work schedules, family commitments or difficulties reaching a nearby campus location. Many of these online programs are accredited and offer students great flexibility in the completion of their LPN training.
Beyond learning the clinical skills necessary to function as a practical nurse, most LPN training programs include classes such as Human Anatomy & Physiology, Mathematics, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Fundamental Chemistry, Developmental Psychology, College Composition and General Biology. Shorter LPN programs are designed to give the student the basic fundamentals and knowledge required to perform the job duties of an LPN, whereas longer courses lay the framework for further study in Nursing or the later completion of a Bachelor’s degree program in the sciences.
After completing a state-approved training program the license to practice must be awarded by the Arizona State Board of Nursing after the individual has passed the NCLEX-PN examination and applied for their license. Certain items might disqualify an individual from obtaining an LPN license in Arizona, such as a felony conviction.
LPN career options and future job outlook are strong in Arizona. With a burgeoning elderly population, Arizona plays host to a large number of nursing homes, retirement communities and assisted living facilities. State guidelines have certain minimum staffing requirements for such facilities which include state-mandated numbers of nurses on staff per a certain number of residents or patients. This provides a fountain of opportunity for current and future LPNs working in the state of Arizona. Beyond caring for the elderly, Arizona LPNs can find employment in hospitals, health clinics, doctor offices and rehabilitation centers.
LPN Training Classes in Arizona
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Arizona College prepares students to work in the 'real world' of medicine. With the use of lecture and laboratory teaching, we provide our students with hands on experience.
- Nursing- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Medical Assisting
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Doctor of Health Science
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
List of Approved AZ Practical Nursing Schools
4585 E. Speedway Boulevard
Tucson, AZ 85712
1601 W. Main
Mesa, AZ 85201
3000 N. Dysart Rd
Avondale, Arizona 85023
555 North 18th St, Suite 110
Phoenix, AZ 85006
Fast Track Practical Nursing Program
108 N. 40th St.
Phoenix, Arizona 85034
1801 Detroit Avenue
Kingman, Arizona 86401
Health Occupations Programs
5901 South Calle Santa Cruz
Tucson, Arizona 85709
The directory listings above indicate all of the Arizona state approved LPN programs currently available to students. Our site strives to provide the most accurate and update school listing information. If you encounter a bad link or outdated information please report it to us via email and we will research and make the necessary correction. We also welcome information or updates from students or staff members from the above listed schools.
There are several schools in Arizona that have state board approval to offer a Practical Nursing option in addition to their Associate Degree RN program, but not every one of these schools offers an LPN program. We suggest that students contact these schools individually or check their website for up-to-date information. Here are the names and websites of these schools:
Arizona Western College
Central Arizona College
Coconino Community College
Eastern Arizona College
MaricopaNursing at Chandler Gilbert Community College
MaricopaNursing at Estrella Mountain Community College
MaricopaNursing at GateWay Community College
MaricopaNursing at Glendale Community College
MaricopaNursing at Mesa Community College
MaricopaNursing at Paradise Valley Community College
MaricopaNursing at Phoenix College
MaricopaNursing at Scottsdale Community College
Mohave Community College
Northland Pioneer College
Pima Community College
Pima Medical Institute Mesa Campus
Pima Medical Institute Tucson Campus