Training Programs to Become an LPN in Indiana
The field of nursing is expanding at a much faster pace than any other profession or career. Nursing is a very demanding profession, but brings with it great rewards for people who have the desire to take care of patients.
Qualified nurses are in demand and those individuals who can work efficiently with other staff members, communicates with staff and patients effectively and work in a timely manner within the policies and procedures of the facility. Becoming an LPN in Indiana requires the individual to complete an accredited nursing program and passing the state mandated NCLEX-PN exam. LPN’s make up 26% of the nursing force in Indiana.
An LPN degree and education in Indiana is regulated by the Indiana State Board of Nursing. Schools offering nursing programs and LPN courses must be accredited and accepted by the Board of Nursing. Students who take a non-accredited LPN program will not be allowed to take the state mandated licensing exam. The LPN student will be required to meet the requirements of the school to be admitted to the program. Nursing schools in Indiana require applicants to undergo a criminal background check before being admitted to the program. Before students can participate in the clinical training portion of the program, the student must complete a drug test and provide documentation of a clear TB test.
An LPN program in Indiana takes 8 to 15 months to complete and includes class work and hands on clinical training. Class work includes medical terminology, anatomy and microbiology, nutrition, pharmacology, nursing skills and nursing management and related math and science classes. The clinical training portion of the program will be held at an area health care facility and students will have the opportunity to train in each department.
The result of the LPN program is a certificate or an Associate’s Degree. The program is designed to prepare the student to take the NCLEX-PN exam, a state mandated exam required for licensing. LPN’s must be licensed by the State of Indiana to legally work as an LPN.
Practical Nurse License
Upon completion of the LPN program graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN exam. The exam is a nationwide exam and administered by Pearson VUE. The exam applicant applies to the State Board of Nursing with the appropriate information and documentation. The Board reviews the application for completeness and notifies the applicant of a favorable review. The exam applicant applies to Pearson VUE to take the NCLEX-PN exam. The applicant will be sent to the most convenient testing location. Once registered with Pearson VUE the applicant has 90 days to take the exam.
The LPN candidate will be notified by the Board of Nursing in about 4 weeks after the exam whether the candidate has passed or failed the exam. The Board of Nursing will authorize a certificate to the LPN who passes the exam and a breakdown of the scores for the candidate who did not pass the exam.
Students who do not pass the exam will have an opportunity to retake the exam by submitting an application of retake. The second pass at the exam cannot be taken for at least 90 days from the date of the first exam.
All LPN licenses must be renewed every two years. All licenses expire on 31 March of the even numbered years. The license renewal period is 60 days prior to expiration. Licensees must also complete 24 hours of continuing education during the two years the license is valid.
Salaries, Duties and Future Job Outlook
LPN salaries in Indiana average $18.25 per hour for an annual salary of $37,900. The entry level salary for LPN’s is about $20,000 to $25,000 and tops out at $51,000. The actual starting salary and salary increases throughout their career depend on level of responsibility taken on and place of employment.
LPN job duties vary depending on the facility and category of patient, but typically LPN’s track vital signs and food intake, dispense medications according to the care plan, implement diagnostic tests and track results, perform basic patient care, dress wounds, provide comfort for the patient and family and work with the nurse in charge and physicians for the benefit of the patient.
The future of nursing and Indiana LPN job outlook is bright and accelerating quickly. According to the United States Bureau of Labor, the field of nursing is expanding offering more opportunities for LPN’s due to better care and treatment methods and the ability to provide medical care in facilities other than hospitals, including home care. Through the year 2020 nursing opportunities are expected to increase 20 to 25%.
LPN Training Classes in Indiana
The path to a brighter future isn’t always clear. We face roadblocks and detours. Sometimes, we make a wrong turn and get lost. No matter where you are in your journey, Baker College can help you move forward to a rewarding career.
At Baker College, we know the importance of a quality education. We are regionally accredited with award-winning faculty. We will be there every step of the way so you can get where you’re going.
- Nursing (Post-licensure)
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Medical Assistant
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
List of Approved IN Practical Nursing Schools
3000 East Coliseum Blvd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
1200 N. Meridian Street, Suite 100
Indianapolis, IN 46204
(Formally Commonwealth Business College)
1000 East 80th Place, Suite #205M
Merrillville, IN 46410
800-258-3321 ext 41
1030 East Jefferson Blvd
South Bend, IN 46617
(Formerly Olympia College)
8585 Broadway, Suite 550
Merrillville, IN 46410
104 West 53rd St.
Anderson, IN 46013
200 Daniels Way
Bloomington, IN 47404
4475 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN 47203
3501 First Avenue
Evansville, IN 47710
3800 North Anthony Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46805
1400 East 35th Ave
Gary, IN 46409
1 North Calbert Way
P.O. Box 780
Greencastle, IN 46135
50 W. Fall Creek Pkwy North Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46208
1815 East Morgan Street
P.O. Box 1373
Kokomo, IN 46903
3101 South Creasy Lane, Box 6299
Lafayette, IN 47903
590 Ivy Tech Drive
Madison, IN 47250
4301 South Cowan Road
Muncie, IN 47303
765-643-7133 ext. 2341
2357 Chester Blvd
Richmond, IN 47374
8204 Highway 311
Sellersburg, IN 47172
220 Dean Johnson Blvd
South Bend, IN 46601
7999 US Highway 41 South
Terre Haute, IN 47802
3100 Ivy Tech Drive
Valparaiso, IN 46383
1901 East 86th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46240
7230 Woodland Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46278
107 South Pennsylvania
Marion, IN 46952
6612 E. 75th Street, Suite 500
Indianapolis, IN 46250
7230 Engle Road
Fort Wayne, IN 46804
1500 American Way
Greenwood, IN 46142
1002 North First Street
Vincennes, IN 47591
850 College Avenue
Jasper, IN 47546