Training Programs to Become an LPN in Indiana
The field of nursing is expanding at a much faster pace than any other profession or career. Nursing is a very demanding profession, but brings with it great rewards for people who have the desire to take care of patients.
Qualified nurses are in demand and those individuals who can work efficiently with other staff members, communicates with staff and patients effectively and work in a timely manner within the policies and procedures of the facility. Becoming an LPN in Indiana requires the individual to complete an accredited nursing program and passing the state mandated NCLEX-PN exam. LPN’s make up 26% of the nursing force in Indiana.
An LPN degree and education in Indiana is regulated by the Indiana State Board of Nursing. Schools offering nursing programs and LPN courses must be accredited and accepted by the Board of Nursing. Students who take a non-accredited LPN program will not be allowed to take the state mandated licensing exam. The LPN student will be required to meet the requirements of the school to be admitted to the program. Nursing schools in Indiana require applicants to undergo a criminal background check before being admitted to the program. Before students can participate in the clinical training portion of the program, the student must complete a drug test and provide documentation of a clear TB test.
An LPN program in Indiana takes 8 to 15 months to complete and includes class work and hands on clinical training. Class work includes medical terminology, anatomy and microbiology, nutrition, pharmacology, nursing skills and nursing management and related math and science classes. The clinical training portion of the program will be held at an area health care facility and students will have the opportunity to train in each department.
The result of the LPN program is a certificate or an Associate’s Degree. The program is designed to prepare the student to take the NCLEX-PN exam, a state mandated exam required for licensing. LPN’s must be licensed by the State of Indiana to legally work as an LPN.
Practical Nurse License
Upon completion of the LPN program graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN exam. The exam is a nationwide exam and administered by Pearson VUE. The exam applicant applies to the State Board of Nursing with the appropriate information and documentation. The Board reviews the application for completeness and notifies the applicant of a favorable review. The exam applicant applies to Pearson VUE to take the NCLEX-PN exam. The applicant will be sent to the most convenient testing location. Once registered with Pearson VUE the applicant has 90 days to take the exam.
The LPN candidate will be notified by the Board of Nursing in about 4 weeks after the exam whether the candidate has passed or failed the exam. The Board of Nursing will authorize a certificate to the LPN who passes the exam and a breakdown of the scores for the candidate who did not pass the exam.
Students who do not pass the exam will have an opportunity to retake the exam by submitting an application of retake. The second pass at the exam cannot be taken for at least 90 days from the date of the first exam.
All LPN licenses must be renewed every two years. All licenses expire on 31 March of the even numbered years. The license renewal period is 60 days prior to expiration. Licensees must also complete 24 hours of continuing education during the two years the license is valid.
Salaries, Duties and Future Job Outlook
LPN salaries in Indiana average $18.25 per hour for an annual salary of $37,900. The entry level salary for LPN’s is about $20,000 to $25,000 and tops out at $51,000. The actual starting salary and salary increases throughout their career depend on level of responsibility taken on and place of employment.
LPN job duties vary depending on the facility and category of patient, but typically LPN’s track vital signs and food intake, dispense medications according to the care plan, implement diagnostic tests and track results, perform basic patient care, dress wounds, provide comfort for the patient and family and work with the nurse in charge and physicians for the benefit of the patient.
The future of nursing and Indiana LPN job outlook is bright and accelerating quickly. According to the United States Bureau of Labor, the field of nursing is expanding offering more opportunities for LPN’s due to better care and treatment methods and the ability to provide medical care in facilities other than hospitals, including home care. Through the year 2020 nursing opportunities are expected to increase 20 to 25%.
LPN Training Classes in Indiana
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
Harrison College prides itself on truly knowing our students -- their lives and families, obstacles and motivations and their dreams and goals. We also know their potential -- that's why for more than 100 years, our mission has been to provide a supportive environment, with the expectation that their success also benefits their families, friends and communities. That's the Harrison Difference.
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing AAS
- Medical Assisting Diploma
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Doctor of Health Science
List of Approved IN Practical Nursing Schools
3000 East Coliseum Blvd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
1200 N. Meridian Street, Suite 100
Indianapolis, IN 46204
(Formally Commonwealth Business College)
1000 East 80th Place, Suite #205M
Merrillville, IN 46410
800-258-3321 ext 41
1030 East Jefferson Blvd
South Bend, IN 46617
(Formerly Olympia College)
8585 Broadway, Suite 550
Merrillville, IN 46410
104 West 53rd St.
Anderson, IN 46013
200 Daniels Way
Bloomington, IN 47404
4475 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN 47203
3501 First Avenue
Evansville, IN 47710
3800 North Anthony Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46805
1400 East 35th Ave
Gary, IN 46409
1 North Calbert Way
P.O. Box 780
Greencastle, IN 46135
50 W. Fall Creek Pkwy North Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46208
1815 East Morgan Street
P.O. Box 1373
Kokomo, IN 46903
3101 South Creasy Lane, Box 6299
Lafayette, IN 47903
590 Ivy Tech Drive
Madison, IN 47250
4301 South Cowan Road
Muncie, IN 47303
765-643-7133 ext. 2341
2357 Chester Blvd
Richmond, IN 47374
8204 Highway 311
Sellersburg, IN 47172
220 Dean Johnson Blvd
South Bend, IN 46601
7999 US Highway 41 South
Terre Haute, IN 47802
3100 Ivy Tech Drive
Valparaiso, IN 46383
1901 East 86th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46240
7230 Woodland Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46278
107 South Pennsylvania
Marion, IN 46952
6612 E. 75th Street, Suite 500
Indianapolis, IN 46250
7230 Engle Road
Fort Wayne, IN 46804
1500 American Way
Greenwood, IN 46142
1002 North First Street
Vincennes, IN 47591
850 College Avenue
Jasper, IN 47546