Training Programs to Become an LPN in Maine
Nursing is a profession that is expanding very rapidly. According to the United States Bureau of Labor, it is the profession that is outpacing all other careers and professions.
In the field of nursing, License Practical Nurses (LPN) makes up 11% of the nursing force in the state of Maine. The demand for qualified LPN’s continues to be a concern for the healthcare industry as Maine is anticipating a nursing shortage if the roles are not replenished.
The first requirement to become an LPN is the completion of the initial educational process. LPN degrees and education in Maine must meet the requirements of the Maine State Board of Nursing and includes the schools and the programs being accredited and recognized by the State Nursing Board. The LPN programs take 12 to 18 months to complete and becoming an LPN is the quickest way to enter the nursing field. The LPN programs are required to be a combination of class work and clinical training. Clinical training is typically taught at a local healthcare facility with training held in all departments.
The LPN application must meet the requirements of the school of choice and provide the necessary documentation for acceptance and admission. Typical requirements include the submission of an application and documenting evidence to prove identity and location. The applicant will have to provide a high school transcript and a diploma or an equivalency certificate.
All nursing schools require an applicant to undergo a criminal background check as well as a drug test. Most schools require applicants to provide documentation of recent, clear tuberculosis (TB) test and a mumps, measles and rubella (MMR) vaccine if born before 1957 and a clear Hepatitis test. If the school does not require such vaccinations at the time of application, it will be required before participation in clinical training.
The LPN License in Maine
LPNs are required to be licensed before working in a nursing capacity. The application to take the NCLX-PN exam is submitted to the Maine State Board of Nursing. The application must contain a passport type photograph of the applicant that is no older than two years. The application and all accompanying documents must be notarized. The board will review the application for completeness and information validity. Once the application is approved, the applicant will be notified and given an authorization to test (ATT).
The applicant then registers with Pearson VUE, the administers of the NCLEX-PN. There will be a separate fee payable to Pearson for the exam as well as the application fee payable to the Nursing Board. Pearson will assign the application to the most convenient testing site. The applicant has 90 days in which to take the test from the day the ATT is issued. The exam contains 205 questions and 5 hours are allotted to take the test.
The applicant will be notified of passing or failing the exam via postal mail. If the applicant passes the exam, their score is not revealed. If the applicant does not pass, the applicant will receive a breakdown of the score. The applicant will be eligible to take the exam again in 90 days.
The successful applicant will receive a paper document with name, license number and date of issue. LPN licenses are subject to renewal every two years on the LPN’s birthday. The LPN will receive a post card notice of the approaching renewal date and will have the opportunity to renew the license by postal mail or online.
Average LPN Salary and Job Duties
The average LPN salaries in Maine are currently $19.10 per hour. That calculates to an annual salary of $39,728 and based on a 40 hour work week. LPN’s who work in metropolitan areas will find the average salary about 2 to 3% higher than in non-metropolitan areas. The starting salary for an entry level LPN is $23,000 annually and tops out at $57,000 annually, depending on years of experience and level of responsibility. There is usually a differential paid to an LPN who works the evening or night shift.
LPNs typically work under the direction of a registered nurse and undertakes a variety of responsibilities. LPN job duties include basic patient care, implementing care plans, observing patients behavior and reactions to medication and health care procedures, dispense medications prescribed by a physician or nurse practitioner, draw blood samples and administer routine diagnostic tests. LPN’s need the ability to implement written and oral instructions, communicate effectively, react quickly to emergency situations and allay patient fears.
The Maine LPN job outlook is expected to remain healthy as the demand for nurses continue to increase. The demand for qualified LPNs continues to barely meet the supply. The nursing profession in the state of Maine is expected to increase at the rate of 10 to 20% through the year 2020. In order to attract the necessary number of LPN’s to keep up with demand, some health care facilities are offering more flexible schedules in addition to signing bonuses, educational benefits, student loan reimbursements and an uptick in vacation time, sick time and pension participation.
LPN Training Classes in Maine
IWU's online degree programs are completely online, eliminating the commute and classroom lectures from your day. Because you decide when to study, in most cases you are free to complete the 12 to 15 hours course commitment per week at your own pace and in the learning style that is best for you.
Where Is Indiana Wesleyan University?
Indiana Wesleyan University is located in Marion, Indiana. As an online student attending Indiana Wesleyan University Online, you may or may not have to visit Indiana Wesleyan University’s campus.
- M.S. Nursing - Psychiatric Mental Health
- M.S. Nursing and Master of Business Administration
- M.S. Nursing - Primary Care
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Professional Medical Assistant
List of Approved ME Practical Nursing Schools
1250 Turner St.
Auburn, ME 04210
207 Gannett Dr., Ste. 1
So. Portland, ME 04106