Training Programs to Become an LPN in Maryland
Nursing is a profession on the move and qualified Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) are in demand in the state of Maryland.
LPNs make up 18% of the entire nursing workforce in Maryland and with the advancement of medical technology, the nursing profession will expand to include new opportunities.
Practical Nursing Education in Maryland
The nursing profession is regulated by the Maryland State Board of Nursing. Over the years State Nursing Boards have been active in the advancement of nurses through better training and educational programs. Before an LPN program can be considered as a licensing requisite, the program and school has to receive accreditation from the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
Most LPN courses can be completed in 12 to 18 months and the student will earn a certificate or Associates Degree. There are some schools that offer an Associate’s degree after completing a two year LPN nursing program. Some students opt for an Associate’s degree program in anticipation of eventually completing a Bachelor of Science in nursing program.
No matter the program chosen, the course will include class work and clinical training. The classes are science, nursing and medical related and the clinical portion is hands on training in a health related facility affiliated with the school. The students are taught by a medical professional trained in nursing education. The students must earn a passing grade on their clinical skills, as well as passing grades in the class work in order to complete the program successfully.
Obtaining the LPN License
The next step in obtaining an LPN degrees or certificate is to pass the state mandated NCLEX-PN exam. The graduate must apply to the State Nursing Board to take the exam. The application includes documentation of successful completion of an accredited program, a criminal background check, drug test, and documentation of a clear TB and hepatitis test and passport photograph no older than two years old. The nursing board will review the application for completeness and validity and if everything is in order, the graduate will be notified and allowed to register with Pearson VUE, the NCLEX-PN administrator.
The graduate will have a 90 day time frame in which to register to take the exam and take the exam. The graduate also has to take the exam with one year of successful completion of an LPN program. Graduates may work as an LPN for up to 90 days after graduation. This allows graduates to obtain employment and begin a career in nursing while preparing for the exam. If the graduate does not pass the exam in that time frame, employment must stop immediately.
Any graduate, who does not pass the exam, will have another opportunity to retake the exam in another 90 days. Graduates who do pass the test will receive their LPN license via postal mail. No other paper license will be issued. License checks can be performed online at any time.
Students should keep in mind there are two separate fees to take the NCLEX exam. One fee is payable to the State licensing board to apply yo take the exam and a separate fee payable to Pearson VUE to actually take the exam.
Beginning in 2013, the Maryland LPN license is subject to renewal every two years, based on the licensee’s birthday. LPN’s born in an odd year, will renew their license in the odd year. LPN’s born in an even year will renew their license in the even year. LPN’s will also have the ability to renew their license online.
Maryland is a member of the Multistate Licensure Compact, which means the LPN will be licensed in all Compact member states. The LPN must take the NCLEX-PN exam in their home state.
Salaries, Duties and the Future Employment Outlook for LPNs
Since the field of nursing has become a hot job market, LPN salaries in Maryland have increased to an average of $23.75 per hour for an annual wage of $49,400. Entry level LPN’s can expect an annual starting salary of $25,000 and tops out at $74,000.
The role of nurse has taken on additional dimensions over the years and the LPN job duties in Maryland include assisting registered nurses and nurse practitioner in the day to day operations of patient care. LPNs dispense medication and implement and carry out patient care plans, evaluate patients for medication reaction and responsiveness, track vital signs and perform routine diagnostic tests, dress wounds and sometimes serve as the interface between physician, family and patient.
The field of nursing is expanding faster than any other career or profession according to the United States Labor Bureau. The nursing field will grow by 23 to 25% through the year 2020 and the demand for qualified LPNs will grow with it. The expansion is due in part to better medical technology being available and being available in facilities other than hospitals.
LPN Training Classes in Maryland
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Professional Medical Assistant Plus
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting
List of Approved MD Practical Nursing Schools
12401 Willowbrook Road
Cumberland, MD 21502
2901 Liberty Heights Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21215
1601 Washington Rd.
Westminster, MD 21157
One Seahawk Dr.
North East, MD 21901
8730 Mitchell Rd.
P.O. Box 910
La Plata, MD 20646
CCBC Essex, Room J-101
7201 Rossville Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21237
7932 Opossumtown Pike
Frederick, MD 21702
11400 Robinwood Dr.
Hagerstown, MD 21742
401 Thomas Run Road
Bel Air, MD 21015
10901 Little Patuxent Pkwy.
Columbia, MD 21044
301 Largo Rd.
Center for Health Studies, Room 1409
Largo, MD 20774
200 N. Central Avenue, 4th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
32000 Campus Drive
Salisbury, MD 21804