Training Programs to Become an LPN in Michigan
In Michigan, Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) make up 18%, that translates to 18,720 LPNs, of the entire nursing force. Nursing is a very rewarding profession, but at the same time it is very demanding.
Nurses must have the passion to care for patients no matter the level of illness or injury. Nurses must also be able to make decisions based on written instructions, policies and procedures, work within precise time limits and standards of accuracy and communicate effectively with other staff members, patients and families.
Practical Nursing Education
LPN schools and programs in Michigan must be accredited and accepted by the Michigan Board of Nursing. LPN candidates are required to complete an accredited LPN nursing program that offers both class and clinical training. Such programs typically take up to 18 months to complete and prepare the student to take the NCLEX-PN exam, the state mandated licensing exam for LPN’s.
The LPN program includes class work and clinical training. The courses included are nursing fundamentals, biology, physiology, microbiology, medical terms, psychology, growth and development, principles of patient care, emergency care and pediatric and obstetric nursing. The courses may vary depending on the school attended.
The clinical training will put to use the class work and build skills for hands on patient care. The clinical training will take place at one or more local health care facilities. The training is taught by a medical professional such as a registered nurse or nurse practitioner who is also a trained nursing instructor. The clinical training is graded just as class work is graded and students must receive a passing grade to complete the program.
The Licensing Process
LPN students are required to take the state mandated NCLEX-PN exam in order to earn an LPN license. LPN’s are required by law to be licensed in order to practice as an LPN. The NCLEX-PN exam is a national exam administered by Pearson VUE. Upon successful completion of the accredited LPN program, the student submits an application to test to the state nursing license board. The application includes a criminal background check and a fingerprint card, as well as documentation from the school attended of successful completion of the program. That information must be sent directly from the school to the nursing board.
The NCLEX-PN application is reviewed by the nursing board and upon acceptance the applicant will be given an authorization to test (ATT). Applicants register with Pearson VUE to take the exam after receiving the ATT. Applicants must take the exam within 90 days of receiving the ATT. Pearson VUE will assign the applicant to a convenient testing location. The exam contains 205 questions and the applicant has 5 hours to complete the exam.
If the applicant passes the test, they will be notified they passed, but will not be given their actual test score. If the applicant does not pass the exam, they will be given a breakdown of their test score. Students who pass will receive their license via postal mail and if they are employed their employer will notified of their exam passing. Students who do not pass the exam will be given the opportunity to retake the exam after waiting 90 days. If the student does not pass the exam within one year of receiving their ATT, they will be required to take the LPN Review Program before they can apply to take the exam again.
LPN’s are subject to license renewal every two years. Licenses expire on 31 March which means the initial license might be valid for less than two years before renewing for the first time. In addition to submitting the required paperwork and fee, LPN’s are also required to complete 25 hours of approved continuing education, with at least one hour in pain and symptom management. Continuing education classes are provided online.
Salaries, Duties and Future LPN Employment Outlook
LPN salaries in Michigan average $20.50 per hour for an annual salary of $42,640, based on a 40 hour workweek. Entry level LPN’s can expect a starting salary of $24,000 and salaries can top out at $60,000, depending on years of experience, area of expertise and level of responsibility.
An LPN works under the direction of a registered nurse, physician or nurse practitioner and LPN job duties include assistance in the development and modification of care plans, dispense prescribed medication, dress wounds, draw blood samples, perform simple diagnostic tests and assist with teaching patients good health habits, to name just a few of the duties.
The Michigan LPN job outlook is quite healthy and growing at a rapid rate. Demand is often outpacing supply as the field of nursing continues to grow. According to the United States Department of Labor, nursing is growing at a greater rate than any other career. The nursing field will grow at the rate of 18% each year through 2020 and present many nursing opportunities for LPNs that were never available before.
LPN Training Classes in Michigan
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
Career Quest Learning Centers offers programs in business, information technology, and health care that are designed to get you into your new career fast.
- Certified Nurse Aide
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Administration (AAS)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
List of Approved MI Practical Nursing Schools
666 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707
1500 University Drive
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
2800 Springport Road
Jackson, MI 49202
2001 N. Lincoln Road
Escanaba, MI 49829
3555 East Patrick Road
Midland, MI 48642
27650 Dequindre Road
Warren, MI 48092
1961 Delta Rd
University Center, MI 48710
19100 Fort Street
Riverview, MI 48193
1750 Woodworth Street NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
26111 Evergreen Road, Suite 303
Southfield, MI 48076
62249 Shimmel Road
Centreville, MI 49032
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
143 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
2111 Emmons Road
Jackson, MI 49201
450 North Avenue
Battle Creek, MI 49017
10775 N. St. Helen Road
Roscommon, MI 48653
650 Easterday Avenue, Sault Ste.
Marie, MI 49783
422 N. Washington Square
Lansing, MI 48933
Saginaw, MI 48933
1375 South Clare Avenue
Harrison, MI 48625
1555 Raisinville Road
Monroe, MI 48161
2800 College Drive
Sidney, MI 48885
221 South Quarterline Road
Muskegon, MI 49442
New Science Facility, Room 2301
Marquette, MI 49855
1701 East Front Street
Traverse City, MI 49686
7350 Cooley Lake Road
Waterford, MI 48327
428 O’Dowd Hall
Rochester, MI 48309
323 Erie Street
Port Huron, MI 48061
18600 Haggerty Road
Livonia, MI 48152
58900 Cherry Grove Road
Dowagiac, MI 49047
16630 Southfield Road
Allen Park, MI 48101
3000 N. Stiles Road
Scottville, MI 49454