Training Programs to Become an LPN in Minnesota
The nursing profession is one of the most rewarding professions for anyone dedicated to the care of the ill and injured.
It takes a strong work ethic and the desire to help others to be a nurse. Nurses must be able to communicate effectively and follow written and oral directions. Licensed practical nurses are required by state and federal law to become licensed in order to work as an LPN in Minnesota.
LPN Education Requirements in Minnesota
All LPN license candidates must take an approved nursing program from an accredited nursing school. LPN programs can be completed within 12 to 18 months. The LPN schools and programs in Minnesota must meet the requirements of the Minnesota State Nursing Board and include class work and clinical training in all nursing programs. Course work includes biology, chemistry, physiology, nutrition, pharmaceuticals, nursing practice, pediatric and obstetric and geriatric care. Other courses include nursing management, medical terminology, surgical procedures, basic patient care and data collection and correlation.
The clinical training portion of the program will include hands on care at a local healthcare facility. Students will rotate through the different departments and receive instruction from a medical professional trained in nursing instruction. Students must pass both portions of the program to pass the class and graduate the program.
Students who do not complete the program will have the opportunity to retake those classes or clinical training sessions until all classes are completed satisfactorily. Upon successful completion, the graduate will receive a certificate of completion or an Associate’s degree in nursing.
Minnesota LPN License
Once the student has completed the LPN program at an accredited school, it is time to take the licensing exam to become a licensed practical nurse. The applicant applies to the State Nursing Board to take the exam and upon approval of the application will be directed to register with Pearson VUE, the official exam administer. The applicant will them petition Pearson and be assigned a day and time to take the NCLEX-PN license exam. The applicant will be directed to the most convenient location.
The exam must be taken within 90 days of receiving the approval to take the exam from the state licensing board. While the graduate is waiting to take the test and for the duration of time waiting for test results, the graduate may work as an LPN. If the graduate does not pass the exam within that time frame, the privilege to work expires.
The graduate will receive the results of the exam via postal mail, or students can check in the Pearson VUE online data base. The passing score will not be revealed, but the student who fails the test will have the opportunity to review their test score and the breakdown of the entire test.
The newly licensed LPN will receive a certificate citing the successful completion of the exam. This is the only time the state licensing board will issue a paper document. LPN’s are required to renew their LPN license on their birthday every two years. Depending on the date of the test and the applicant’s birthday, the initial license may be valid for less than two years. After that all licenses will be valid for a full 24 months.
A condition of renewal for LPN’s includes taking 12 continuing education credits every 24 months. The classes can be taken online from certified online training centers. The LPN will have to document the classes with the certificate awarded upon completion of the continuing education hours.
Minnesota LPN Salaries and Career Outlook
LPN salaries in Minnesota average $42,000 annually. Entry level LPN salaries start at $25,000 and top out at $60,000. Salary increases through the years depend on the individual, their level of responsibility and the type of facility where employed. Salary also depends on the shift worked. LPN’s working the evening or night shift typically is compensated at a slightly higher rate than an LPN who works the day shift.
LPN job duties include taking direction from a registered nurse, physician or nurse practitioner. The tasks of an LPN include dispensing prescribed medication, monitoring patients progress, developing and implementing a care plan, monitoring vital signs, preparing patient reports, dress wounds, perform simple diagnostic procedures and teach patients good health habits.
The Minnesota LPN job outlook is bright for qualified and licensed LPN’s. Nursing in Minnesota is on the rise and LPN’s will find a variety of opportunities at hospitals, long and short term healthcare facilities, occupational and educational facilities, assisted living facilities and private clinics and doctor’s offices. The growth of the nursing profession is projected to increase by 20 to 22% by the year 2020, according to the United States Bureau of Labor.
LPN Training Classes in Minnesota
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
Founded more than 130 years ago by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne has grown to become one of the nation's top Catholic universities. The school’s mission is to provide a well-rounded education that challenges students academically while nourishing their spiritual and ethical development. Today, Duquesne is home to 10 schools of study and serves more than 10,000 students.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA)
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
List of Approved MN Practical Nursing Schools
1601 Jefferson Street
Alexandria, MN 56308
1355 West Highway 10
Anoka, MN 55303
501 West College Drive
Brainerd, MN 56401
1300 145th Street East
Rosemount, MN 55068
2101 14th Street
Cloquet, MN 55720
Eden Prairie Campus
13100 College View Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55347
Brooklyn Park Campus
9000 Brooklyn Blvd.
Brooklyn Park, MN 55455
1851 East Highway 169
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
2101 Trinity Road
Duluth, MN 55811
1100 Industrial Park Drive
P.O. Box 648
Eveleth, MN 55734
1501 Hennepin Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55403
1250 Homer Road
Winona, MN 55987
Red Wing Campus
308 Pioneer Road
Red Wing, MN 55066
Detroit Lakes Campus
900 Highway 34 East
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
Fergus Falls Campus
1414 College Way
Fergus Falls, MN 56537
1900 28th Avenue S.
Moorhead, MN 56560
405 Colfax Avenue SW
PO Box 566
Wadena, MN 56482
Worthington, MN 56187
1314 North Hiawatha Ave
Pipestone, MN 56164
2022 Central Ave NE
East Grand Forks, MN 56721
Thief River Falls Campus
1101 Highway One East
Thief River Falls, MN 56701
121 Center St E
Roseau, MN 56751
905 Grant Avenue SE
Bemidji, MN 56601
900 4th Street SE
Pine City, MN 55063
130 St. Andrews Drive
Mankato, MN 56001
Brooklyn Park Campus
8307 93rd Ave N
Brooklyn Park, MN 55455
3500 Federal Drive
Eagan, MN 55112
1250 29th Avenue S
Moorhead, MN 56560
St. Cloud Campus
226 Park Ave S
St. Cloud, MN 56301
2101 15th Avenue NW
Willmar, MN 56201
2 Century Avenue SE
Hutchinson, MN 55350
1900 Eighth Avenue NW
Austin, MN 55912
851 30th Avenue SE
Rochester, MN 55904
1540 Northway Drive
St. Cloud, MN 56303
235 Marshall Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55102
North Mankato Campus
1920 Lee Boulevard
North Mankato, MN 56003