Training Programs to Become an LPN in Missouri
The field of nursing has experienced rapid growth over the last decade, due in part to the advancement of medical technology and more care options and opportunities being available. In the state of Missouri, the number of LPNs employed in the healthcare industry account for 23% of all nurses employed in the state.
Becoming an LPN in Missouri is a challenge, but the rewards are worth the time and effort it takes to conquer the challenges. It is important to keep in mind becoming an LPN is demanding both emotionally and physically. It takes a person with a caring attitude and the necessary discipline to balance the needs of the patient, their families and the policies and procedures of the healthcare facility while maintaining medical quality and bureaucratic integrity.
Education Requirements for LPNs in Missouri
LPN schools and programs in Missouri must be accredited by the Missouri State Board of Nursing. LPN students who wish to become licensed are required to attend a program at an accredited school, pass the NCLEX-PN exam and earn a CPR card. Most LPN programs in Missouri take 12 to 18 months to complete. The length of the program depends on the courses included in the program. There are certain courses mandated by the State Board of Nursing, and some schools include additional classes that will allow for a more rounded program.
LPN programs include class work and hands on, clinical training. Class work includes classes such as nursing fundamentals, anatomy, physiology, biology, microbiology and introduction to pharmacology. Other classes include communications, medical terminology, contemporary health issues and medical administrative procedures. Students will also participate in clinical training at a local healthcare facility.
The License Application
LPN candidates may apply to the Nursing Board to take the state mandated NCLEX-PN examination during the final three months of the program. The application can be downloaded from the Missouri State Board of Nursing website. The application includes screening questions regarding criminal activity and drug use or treatment. Such questions answered with a yes, will need explanatory documentation.
The applicant must also include a 2 inch by 2 inch photograph with the application, and the application package including all documents has to be notarized. The applicant will also have to undergo a fingerprint based criminal history check.
The LPN candidate has 90 days to take and pass the NCLEX-PN exam. The 90 day clock begins the day of graduation and the student may work as a graduate nurse for those 90 days with the understanding the exam must be taken and passed in order to continue working beyond the 90 days. If a graduate nurse does not take the NCLEX-PN exam within those 90 days, the candidate could lose the opportunity to go through the exam process.
The state of Missouri is part of the Nursing Licensure Compact. The Nursing Compact allows nurses to have one multistate license. This gives nurses the ability to practice in their home state as well as other states belonging to the Compact without accruing additional licensing fees. This offers the nursing profession greater nursing mobility of nurses to better accommodate the nursing profession.
The NCLEX-PN application is submitted to the Missouri Licensing Board and reviewed for completeness. The Licensing Board will notify the applicant of the application approval and the applicant schedules an examination date with Pearson VUE, the examination processor. The exam will be taken at the most convenient location for the applicant.
The exam is 5 hours long and includes two optional breaks. The exam is computer based and contains 205 questions. Results are available from the Missouri Board of Nursing within 30 days.
The licensing board will notify each applicant in writing with the results of the exam. Applicants who are employed will have their exam scores sent to the employer.
If an applicant does not pass the exam, they can petition to retake the exam by scheduling a retake and paying the exam fee. The applicant must wait at least 90 days before the exam can be retaken.
LPNs are required to renew their license every two years. All LPN licenses expire on 31 May on even numbered years. Renewal notices are sent to the address on file with the State Nursing Board. License renewals can be completed by mail or in person. In person renewals are not quicker than a renewal by mail. Both methods take approximately to complete, and the renewed license will be returned via postal mail in both cases.
Salaries and the Future of Practical Nursing
LPN salaries in Missouri begin between $21,000 and $25,000 and currently tops out at $53,000. The top salary is based on years of experience, shift worked and the area of healthcare the LPN works. The average LPN salary based on the entire state is $47,000 per year.
The Missouri LPN job outlook is accelerating with opportunities for LPN’s. Nursing is expanding at a quick pace, and the employment outlook is healthy and will remain steady through the year 2020, according to the United States Board of Labor. Nursing will expand an average of 22% over the next 7 years. LPN’s will find employment in hospitals, short and long term care facilities, occupational healthcare facilities, private doctor’s offices, educational and government facilities.
LPN Training Classes in Missouri
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
Founded more than 130 years ago by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne has grown to become one of the nation's top Catholic universities. The school’s mission is to provide a well-rounded education that challenges students academically while nourishing their spiritual and ethical development. Today, Duquesne is home to 10 schools of study and serves more than 10,000 students.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.)
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - BSN Track - Nurse Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - RN Track - Nurse Informatics
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
South Technical High School
12721 West Watson Road
Sunset Hills, Missouri 63127
6347 Plymouth Avenue
Wellston, Missouri 63133
2001 West Broadway
Bolivar, Missouri 65613
1080 South Silver Springs Rd.
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63703
1600 East Elm
Harrisonville, Missouri 64701
609 River Street
Carthage, Missouri 64836
602 S Fifth Street
Clinton, Missouri 64735
Kansas City, Missouri 64111
3950 East Newman
Joplin, Missouri 64804
2800 Palmyra Rd.
Hannibal, Missouri 63401
3434 Faraon Street
St. Joseph, MO 64506
1000 Viking Drive
Hillsboro, MO 63050
1103 South Cottage Grove
Kirksville, MO 63501
1310 E. Route 66
Lebanon, MO 65536
Health Science Annex
817 South Business Hwy 13
Lexington, MO 64067
605 Union Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101
P.O. Box 1000
Park Hills, MO 63601
101 College Ave
Moberly, MO 65270
660-263-4110, ext. 11251
2900 Doreli Lane
Mexico, MO 65265
2015 N. West St
Nevada, MO 64772
1301 Main St.
Trenton, MO 64683
660-359-3948, ext. 1310
1515 South Munn
Maryville, MO 644687
1401 Daily Road
Bethany, MO 64424
660-359-3948, ext. 1905
1801 Branch Street
Platte City, MO 64079
816-858-5505, ext. 18
10698 Historic Hwy 165
Hollister, MO 65672
1001 East Chestnut Expressway
Springfield, MO 65802
3203 Oak Grove Road
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
500 Forum Dr
Rolla, MO 65401
900 West Vest
Marshall, MO 65340
100 Richmond Center
St. Peters, MO 63376
Sikeston, MO 63801
573-472-8887, ext. 202
613 West First St.
West Plains, MO 65775
#1 Academy Place
Dardenne Prairie, MO 63368
1297 N. Highway Dr.
Fenton, MO 63026
3201 West 16th Street
Sedalia, MO 65301
660-596-7329, ext. 329
1694 Ashley Road
Boonville, MO 65233
112 S Pine
Eldon, Missouri 65026
573-392-8060, ext. 512
6915 So. Hwy 63
Houston, MO 65483
1317 West State Hwy 84
Hayti, MO 63851
1400 West Washington
Kennett, MO 63857
205 South Ridgeview Drive
Warrensburg, MO 64093
1978 Image Dr
Washington, Missouri 63090
636-231-2141, ext. 2912
400 GW Lane
Waynesville, MO 65583