How to Become an LPN in Nebraska
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) continue to be in demand and make up 23% of the nursing workforce in Nebraska. Employment opportunities are expected to increase by 20 to 22% through the year 2020.
LPN job growth is expected to be a combination of new positions and increasing demand for additional nurses to fill current positions as the population continues to age with greater longevity and the advancement of medical technology that present new healthcare solutions and options.
The average LPN salary in Nebraska is $36,400, based on a 40 hour work week. An entry level LPN can expect to earn $24,000 to $26,000. LPN salaries can top out at $75,000, based on years of experience, level of responsibility and additional education undertaken beyond LPN studies. LPNs that choose to specialize in certain nursing fields, such as IV therapy, foot care or childbirth education, will command higher salaries.
The first step to becoming an LPN in Nebraska is to complete an accredited LPN program. Such programs that offer a certificate or diploma take 8 to 12 months to complete while a two year LPN program offer an Associate’s degree in nursing. LPN programs must be accredited and approved by the Nebraska State Board of Nursing in order for the student to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). LPN programs must be a combination of class work and clinical training. Class work typically includes courses such as nursing fundamentals, communication, medical terminology, nutrition, pharmacology, physiology and anatomy. Additional courses may also include nursing administration and obstetric, pediatric and geriatric studies.
After completing an LPN program, the graduate must apply to take the NCLEX-PN exam. LPNs cannot practice nursing without being licensed. Graduates apply to the Nebraska State Board of Nursing, and the application includes a fingerprint card and criminal background check, drug check, passport type photo, social security number and copy of a valid driver’s license or passport. The student will also be required to provide a copy of their transcript and documentation of successful completion of the LPN program. The transcript and documented proof of completion must be sent directly from the school to the State Nursing Board. The application will be reviewed and approved if all the information is in place.
The student will be required to register to take the exam with Pearson VUE, the administrator of the exam. Pearson will issue an authorization to test (ATT), and the graduate must present the ATT on the day of the exam. The graduate will be notified of the exam results within 48 hours and then be issued a license by postal mail within 7 to 10 days.
LPNs are required to renew their license every two years and licenses expire on 31 October of the odd year. License renewal requires the LPN to have practiced nursing for at least 500 hours during the past 5 years, except for LPNs with less than five years from graduation, 20 hours of continuing education with 10 hours being peer reviewed. LPNs must also complete a refresher program every 5 years and maintain a portfolio that includes the LPNs current competency goals and documentation of the professional activities to meet the goals.
LPNs perform a variety of duties, but those duties may vary according to the facility. LPNs work under the direction of a registered nurse or physician and are part of a medical team that includes nurses, doctors, nursing aides and technicians. LPNs check blood sugar levels, start IV treatments, distribute medications, including oral and injections, dress wounds, track vital signs, perform diagnostic testing, monitor patient progress or lack of progress, implement and maintain patient care plans and render basic patient care.
LPN Schools in Nebraska
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
Founded more than 130 years ago by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne has grown to become one of the nation's top Catholic universities. The school’s mission is to provide a well-rounded education that challenges students academically while nourishing their spiritual and ethical development. Today, Duquesne is home to 10 schools of study and serves more than 10,000 students.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
Approved Nebraska LPN Training Programs
Grand Island Campus
3134 West Highway 34
PO Box 4903
Grand Island, NE 68802
(308) 398-7455 Ext. 7455
PO Box 3777
Omaha, NE 68103
801 East Benjamin Avenue
PO Box 469
Norfolk, NE 68702
5401 South Street
Lincoln, NE 68506
1205 East 3rd Street
McCook, NE 69001
(308) 345-8164 Ext. 8164
4771 W. Scott Rd.
Beatrice, NE 68310
(402) 228-3468 Ext. 264
1601 E. 27th Street
Scottsbluff, NE 69361
(308) 635-3606 Ext. 6060