How to Become an LPN in Nevada
Licensed practical nurses (LPN) are in demand and make up 12% of the Nevada nursing workforce. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for nurses will continue to grow by 22% through the year 2020. That translates to about 20,000 new nursing positions across the state.
The average LPN salary is $44,000 annually, which is about 7% lower than the national average, and the average starting LPN salary is $22,000 to $24,000 annually and tops out at about $67,000. LPNs can increase their salary by working the night shift, which typically carries a higher hourly wage and work in high stress environments such as urgent care and emergency rooms. LPNs can also increase their salary by specializing in areas such as IV therapy or childbirth education.
Obtaining an LPN certification is the quickest way to become a nurse in Nevada. An LPN program can be completed in 8 to 12 months and the successful candidate will receive a certificate or diploma. There are nursing programs that offer an Associate’s degree in Nursing and take two years to complete. All LPN programs must be accredited and approved by the Nevada Board of Nursing. The LPN program will include clinical training as well as class work with courses in subjects such as nursing fundamentals, pharmacology, nursing administration and communication, physiology, psychology, nutrition, anatomy and obstetric, pediatric and geriatric studies. Associate degree programs will also include microbiology, math, composition and additional classes in nursing fundamentals.
Clinical training will take place in a health care facility and students will experience hands-on patient care under the guidance of a registered and certified nursing instructor. Students will also have the opportunity to rotate through all departments in the healthcare facility. When choosing an LPN program, make sure the school is approved for both class work and clinical training.
The purpose of an LPN program is to educate and train students in the field of nursing and prepare students to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for LPNs (NCLEX-PN). An LPN cannot legally practice nursing in the State of Nevada without being licensed.
Upon successful completion of the LPN program, the school will send a document of completion to the Nevada Nursing Board that allows the student to work as an LPN while in the exam process. Employers will hire graduates with the understanding the employee pass the exam within 90 days and become licensed. Students apply to the State of Nevada Nursing Board to take the exam, and the application packet will include identification, including a passport type photo, documentation of United States citizenship, a criminal background check and a fingerprint card. The student is also required to register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The Nursing Board will review the application and upon approval will notify Pearson VUE. Pearson will issue the applicant an authorization to test (ATT) document. The student will need to present the ATT on the day of the exam.
Students will take the NCLEX exam at one of the Pearson testing sites in Nevada and the applicant can choose the location most convenient for them. Test results are available within 48 hours of taking the test and applicants that pass the exam will be notified by email along with their license number. Nevada does not issue paper licenses. All license information can be accessed through the Nevada Board of Nursing website, including employers who wish to check whether a particular individual has a valid LPN license.
All LPNs are required to renew their license every two years and are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education during the two years between renewals. The continuing education hours can be taken online or in person, but all programs must be approved by the State Nursing Board. At the time of license renewal, the LPN does not have to provide documentation of the hours, but the State Nursing Board will perform audits at random and ask to see continuing education documentation.
LPN Schools in Nevada
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- RNs, join one of GCU's CCNE-accredited bachelor's, master's or doctoral nursing programs.
- Offering a full spectrum of nursing programs to fit your education needs and career aspirations.
- Online and evening classes designed to meet the needs of working students and adults.
- A holistic, physical, emotional and spiritual approach to patient care is taught in the classroom.
- Curriculum that connects classroom theories to working scenarios through many modalities.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.)
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - BSN Track - Nurse Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - RN Track - Nurse Informatics
List of Approved NV Practical Nursing Schools
5580 Kietzke Ln.
Reno, NV 89511
Health Science Center, W1A 6375
W. Charleston Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89146
170 N. Stephanie St.
Henderson, NV 89014
1500 College Pkwy.
Elko, NV 89801
3535 W. Sahara Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89102
3231 N. Decatur Blvd., #319
Las Vegas, NV 89130
7000 Dandini Blvd. RDMT 417
Reno, NV 89512
2201 W. College Pkwy.
Carson City, NV 89701