How to Become an LPN in New Mexico
Licensed practical nurses (LPN) make up 28% of the nursing workforce and nursing opportunities will continue to grow by 24% through the year 2020. New Mexico also has the highest comfort score for LPNs making the state a very attractive place to find employment. The average LPN salary is $50,000 and an entry level LPN salary averages $30,000.
LPN salaries increase throughout their career with years of experience, additional education, area of specialty and type of facility where employed. Salaries are typically based on a 40 hour work week. In addition to monetary salary, additional benefits may include paid time off compensation, health insurance, life insurance, long term disability, 401K and/or pension participation.
LPNs typically find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, public and private clinics, assisted living facilities, rehabilitation centers, educational facilities, incarceration facilities and home health care, hospice and visiting nurse organizations. The actual duties of an LPN will vary with the type of facility where employed, but typically include basic patient care, managing patient care plans, tracking vital signs, performing diagnostic tests and tracking results, dressing wounds and changing bandages, dispensing medication including oral and injections, monitoring patient progress and answering questions and interfacing with patient, doctor’s and families.
LPNs are required to complete an LPN program accredited and approved by the New Mexico State Nursing Board. The program must include class work and clinical training. The LPN program is designed to educate and train the student and prepare them to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
LPN programs typically take 8 to 12 months to complete and students will earn a diploma or certificate. Some schools offer a two year Associate’s degree in Science or Nursing. Students must successfully pass both the class work and clinical training to graduate from the program. Schools require uniforms, usually surgical scrubs, to be worn for the entire program or sometimes just the clinical training. Students are typically required to provide their own uniforms. Course work includes nutrition, pharmacology, medical terminology, nursing fundamentals, anatomy and physiology.
After the student completes an LPN program, they are required to become licensed by the state of New Mexico to practice nursing. 30 days before the completion of classes, the student submits an application to test to the New Mexico State Nursing Board. Once the application is approved, the student will be allowed to practice under a temporary license as an LPN while taking the NCLEX-PN. Upon graduation, the school of choice will be asked to submit a transcript and copy of the diploma, certificate or degree to the State Nursing Board.
Once the application to test has been approved by the State Nursing Board, the student registers with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator and schedules the exam. The student has 90 days to take the exam. If the exam is not taken or not passed within the 90 days, the student will have to apply to take the exam again.
LPNs are required to renew their license every two years and must complete 30 continuing education hours of subjects related to nursing. Each continuing education hour must be at least 50 minutes. All continuing education classes and seminars must meet the approval of the New Mexico State Nursing Board. The State Board of Nursing does not issue paper licenses. When the initial license is granted, the LPN will receive an email containing the license number and the LPN license will be posted on line at the Nursing Board license verification page on the Boards website. When a license is renewed, the information is updated on the verification page.
LPN Schools in New Mexico
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing for Baccalaureate Degree Graduates
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
State Approved New Mexico LPN Schools
807 Mountain Rd
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 247-3658 ext. 45454
417 Schepps Blvd
Clovis, NM 88101
850 N. Telshor, Suite K
Las Cruces, NM 88011
MSC-3DA Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003
366 Luna Dr.
Las Vegas, NM 87701
1500 University Drive
Carlsbad, NM 88220
921 Paseo de Onate
Espanola, NM 87532