How to Become an LPN in New Mexico
Licensed practical nurses (LPN) make up 28% of the nursing workforce and nursing opportunities will continue to grow by 24% through the year 2020. New Mexico also has the highest comfort score for LPNs making the state a very attractive place to find employment. The average LPN salary is $50,000 and an entry level LPN salary averages $30,000.
LPN salaries increase throughout their career with years of experience, additional education, area of specialty and type of facility where employed. Salaries are typically based on a 40 hour work week. In addition to monetary salary, additional benefits may include paid time off compensation, health insurance, life insurance, long term disability, 401K and/or pension participation.
LPNs typically find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, public and private clinics, assisted living facilities, rehabilitation centers, educational facilities, incarceration facilities and home health care, hospice and visiting nurse organizations. The actual duties of an LPN will vary with the type of facility where employed, but typically include basic patient care, managing patient care plans, tracking vital signs, performing diagnostic tests and tracking results, dressing wounds and changing bandages, dispensing medication including oral and injections, monitoring patient progress and answering questions and interfacing with patient, doctor’s and families.
LPNs are required to complete an LPN program accredited and approved by the New Mexico State Nursing Board. The program must include class work and clinical training. The LPN program is designed to educate and train the student and prepare them to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
LPN programs typically take 8 to 12 months to complete and students will earn a diploma or certificate. Some schools offer a two year Associate’s degree in Science or Nursing. Students must successfully pass both the class work and clinical training to graduate from the program. Schools require uniforms, usually surgical scrubs, to be worn for the entire program or sometimes just the clinical training. Students are typically required to provide their own uniforms. Course work includes nutrition, pharmacology, medical terminology, nursing fundamentals, anatomy and physiology.
After the student completes an LPN program, they are required to become licensed by the state of New Mexico to practice nursing. 30 days before the completion of classes, the student submits an application to test to the New Mexico State Nursing Board. Once the application is approved, the student will be allowed to practice under a temporary license as an LPN while taking the NCLEX-PN. Upon graduation, the school of choice will be asked to submit a transcript and copy of the diploma, certificate or degree to the State Nursing Board.
Once the application to test has been approved by the State Nursing Board, the student registers with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator and schedules the exam. The student has 90 days to take the exam. If the exam is not taken or not passed within the 90 days, the student will have to apply to take the exam again.
LPNs are required to renew their license every two years and must complete 30 continuing education hours of subjects related to nursing. Each continuing education hour must be at least 50 minutes. All continuing education classes and seminars must meet the approval of the New Mexico State Nursing Board. The State Board of Nursing does not issue paper licenses. When the initial license is granted, the LPN will receive an email containing the license number and the LPN license will be posted on line at the Nursing Board license verification page on the Boards website. When a license is renewed, the information is updated on the verification page.
LPN Schools in New Mexico
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (RN-MSN)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (RN to MSN)
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. in Forensic Psychology: Non-Licensure Track
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
State Approved New Mexico LPN Schools
807 Mountain Rd
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 247-3658 ext. 45454
417 Schepps Blvd
Clovis, NM 88101
850 N. Telshor, Suite K
Las Cruces, NM 88011
MSC-3DA Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003
366 Luna Dr.
Las Vegas, NM 87701
1500 University Drive
Carlsbad, NM 88220
921 Paseo de Onate
Espanola, NM 87532