How to Become an LPN in New Mexico
Licensed practical nurses (LPN) make up 28% of the nursing workforce and nursing opportunities will continue to grow by 24% through the year 2020. New Mexico also has the highest comfort score for LPNs making the state a very attractive place to find employment. The average LPN salary is $50,000 and an entry level LPN salary averages $30,000.
LPN salaries increase throughout their career with years of experience, additional education, area of specialty and type of facility where employed. Salaries are typically based on a 40 hour work week. In addition to monetary salary, additional benefits may include paid time off compensation, health insurance, life insurance, long term disability, 401K and/or pension participation.
LPNs typically find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, public and private clinics, assisted living facilities, rehabilitation centers, educational facilities, incarceration facilities and home health care, hospice and visiting nurse organizations. The actual duties of an LPN will vary with the type of facility where employed, but typically include basic patient care, managing patient care plans, tracking vital signs, performing diagnostic tests and tracking results, dressing wounds and changing bandages, dispensing medication including oral and injections, monitoring patient progress and answering questions and interfacing with patient, doctor’s and families.
LPNs are required to complete an LPN program accredited and approved by the New Mexico State Nursing Board. The program must include class work and clinical training. The LPN program is designed to educate and train the student and prepare them to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
LPN programs typically take 8 to 12 months to complete and students will earn a diploma or certificate. Some schools offer a two year Associate’s degree in Science or Nursing. Students must successfully pass both the class work and clinical training to graduate from the program. Schools require uniforms, usually surgical scrubs, to be worn for the entire program or sometimes just the clinical training. Students are typically required to provide their own uniforms. Course work includes nutrition, pharmacology, medical terminology, nursing fundamentals, anatomy and physiology.
After the student completes an LPN program, they are required to become licensed by the state of New Mexico to practice nursing. 30 days before the completion of classes, the student submits an application to test to the New Mexico State Nursing Board. Once the application is approved, the student will be allowed to practice under a temporary license as an LPN while taking the NCLEX-PN. Upon graduation, the school of choice will be asked to submit a transcript and copy of the diploma, certificate or degree to the State Nursing Board.
Once the application to test has been approved by the State Nursing Board, the student registers with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator and schedules the exam. The student has 90 days to take the exam. If the exam is not taken or not passed within the 90 days, the student will have to apply to take the exam again.
LPNs are required to renew their license every two years and must complete 30 continuing education hours of subjects related to nursing. Each continuing education hour must be at least 50 minutes. All continuing education classes and seminars must meet the approval of the New Mexico State Nursing Board. The State Board of Nursing does not issue paper licenses. When the initial license is granted, the LPN will receive an email containing the license number and the LPN license will be posted on line at the Nursing Board license verification page on the Boards website. When a license is renewed, the information is updated on the verification page.
LPN Schools in New Mexico
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Medical Assistant
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Associate - Occupational Therapy Assistant
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
State Approved New Mexico LPN Schools
807 Mountain Rd
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 247-3658 ext. 45454
417 Schepps Blvd
Clovis, NM 88101
850 N. Telshor, Suite K
Las Cruces, NM 88011
MSC-3DA Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003
366 Luna Dr.
Las Vegas, NM 87701
1500 University Drive
Carlsbad, NM 88220
921 Paseo de Onate
Espanola, NM 87532