How to Become an LPN in Oregon
Becoming a nurse is a rewarding career choice. Nursing is challenging, demanding and at times tiring, but the rewards of nursing are helping a patient get better and getting on with their life or feeling better after a time of not feeling well. Nurses also help patients maintain a level of comfort.
To become an LPN in Oregon, candidates must complete an approved LPN program, pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) and obtain a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) card. An LPN program takes 8 to 12 months to complete and students will receive a certificate or diploma upon completion. There are students who become an LPN and then work while continuing their studies to become a registered nurse (RN).
An LPN program takes a two phase approach. The program uses class work and clinical training to train students to be competent nurses. The competency is checked through the NCLEX-PN. Students must pass the class work, as well as the clinical training to pass the LPN program and graduate.
The state of Oregon defines the beginning of employment to happen when orientation occurs. What that means for the LPN is they must be licensed before starting any nursing job. Oregon does not issue temporary licenses to allow LPNs to work during the exam process.
The NCLEX-PN exam process can be lengthy. The Oklahoma Board of Nursing recommends students submit their application to take the NCLEX-PN one to two months prior to graduation. The application includes a criminal background check and fingerprint card. The student is also required to register with the exam administrator, Pearson VUE. Once the student has graduated and been approved to take the NCLEX-PN, the student schedules an appointment with Pearson VUE to take the exam. Students will be notified within two weeks of the exam and if the student passes the exam, they will be issued an LPN license.
LPNs are required to renew their license every two years. Licenses expire at midnight the day before the licensee’s birthday in even years if the LPN was born in an even year or the odd year if the LPN was born in an odd year. LPNs must complete a onetime requirement of pain management continuing education hours. One hour must be provided by the Oregon Pain Management Commission of Oregon and the additional six hours can be any pain management topics chosen by the LPN. Once those seven hours are completed, no other continuing education requirements are required for license renewal.
In the state of Oregon, LPNs make up 8% of the nursing workforce. Through the year 2020, nursing opportunities will increase by 18 to 20%. Expanding healthcare options and advanced medical technology are bringing the new nursing opportunities. The aging population is requiring healthcare for longer periods of time than in the past and there is a growing demand to fill those needs with nurses, especially LPNs.
LPNs work under the direction of an RN or physician. LPN’s work with other nurses, technicians, nursing assistants and physicians as part of the medical team. LPNs may also specialize in a certain area of healthcare such as respiratory care or childbirth education. LPNs may also supervise the certified nursing assistants or work their way up to unit manager.
LPNs undertake tasks such as implementing and maintaining patient care plans, dispense medication, dress wounds, administer basic patient bedside care, perform diagnostic testing and track the results, monitor vital signs and blood sugar levels, prepare daily reports on patients progress, prepare patients for discharge and answer questions and address concerns from the patient and their families.
LPN Schools in Oregon
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Prepare for a Health Care Career with an Online Degree from Keiser University. Get Started Today!
- Keiser University has a variety of degree programs in the health care field including Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Health Science and more!
- From Medical Assisting to Health Science to Health Services Administration, Keiser can help you get started in the health care industry.
- Keiser University has 40 years of experience in helping students reach their personal and professional goals.
- We offer you the support and flexibility you need to fit education into your busy life with our one class at a time schedule
- Health Care - Bachelor Degree
- Healthcare - Online - Associate Degree
- Health Care - Master Degree
- And more...
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
List of Approved OR Practical Nursing Schools
2600 Northwest College Way
Bend, OR 97701
4000 Lancaster Drive Northeast
PO BOX 14007
Salem, OR 97309
1651 Lexington Avenue
Astoria, OR 97103
400 East Scenic Drive
The Dalles, OR 97058
1425 Northeast Irving Street Building #300
Portland, OR 97232
4707 Silverton Road Northeast
Salem, OR 97305
7390 South 6th Street
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
4000 East 30th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97405
26000 Southeast Stark Street
Gresham, OR 97030
400 Southeast College Way
Newport, OR 97366
3800 Sports Way
Springfield, OR 97477
27375 Southwest Parkway Avenue
Wilsonville, OR 97070
202 South Riverside
Medford, OR 97501
8909 Southwest Barbur Boulevard Suite #100
Portland, OR 97219
650 College Boulevard
Ontario, OR 97914
(541) 881-8822, ext.345
1140 College Road
PO BOX 967
Roseburg, OR 97470