How to Become an LPN in Oregon
Becoming a nurse is a rewarding career choice. Nursing is challenging, demanding and at times tiring, but the rewards of nursing are helping a patient get better and getting on with their life or feeling better after a time of not feeling well. Nurses also help patients maintain a level of comfort.
To become an LPN in Oregon, candidates must complete an approved LPN program, pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) and obtain a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) card. An LPN program takes 8 to 12 months to complete and students will receive a certificate or diploma upon completion. There are students who become an LPN and then work while continuing their studies to become a registered nurse (RN).
An LPN program takes a two phase approach. The program uses class work and clinical training to train students to be competent nurses. The competency is checked through the NCLEX-PN. Students must pass the class work, as well as the clinical training to pass the LPN program and graduate.
The state of Oregon defines the beginning of employment to happen when orientation occurs. What that means for the LPN is they must be licensed before starting any nursing job. Oregon does not issue temporary licenses to allow LPNs to work during the exam process.
The NCLEX-PN exam process can be lengthy. The Oklahoma Board of Nursing recommends students submit their application to take the NCLEX-PN one to two months prior to graduation. The application includes a criminal background check and fingerprint card. The student is also required to register with the exam administrator, Pearson VUE. Once the student has graduated and been approved to take the NCLEX-PN, the student schedules an appointment with Pearson VUE to take the exam. Students will be notified within two weeks of the exam and if the student passes the exam, they will be issued an LPN license.
LPNs are required to renew their license every two years. Licenses expire at midnight the day before the licensee’s birthday in even years if the LPN was born in an even year or the odd year if the LPN was born in an odd year. LPNs must complete a onetime requirement of pain management continuing education hours. One hour must be provided by the Oregon Pain Management Commission of Oregon and the additional six hours can be any pain management topics chosen by the LPN. Once those seven hours are completed, no other continuing education requirements are required for license renewal.
In the state of Oregon, LPNs make up 8% of the nursing workforce. Through the year 2020, nursing opportunities will increase by 18 to 20%. Expanding healthcare options and advanced medical technology are bringing the new nursing opportunities. The aging population is requiring healthcare for longer periods of time than in the past and there is a growing demand to fill those needs with nurses, especially LPNs.
LPNs work under the direction of an RN or physician. LPN’s work with other nurses, technicians, nursing assistants and physicians as part of the medical team. LPNs may also specialize in a certain area of healthcare such as respiratory care or childbirth education. LPNs may also supervise the certified nursing assistants or work their way up to unit manager.
LPNs undertake tasks such as implementing and maintaining patient care plans, dispense medication, dress wounds, administer basic patient bedside care, perform diagnostic testing and track the results, monitor vital signs and blood sugar levels, prepare daily reports on patients progress, prepare patients for discharge and answer questions and address concerns from the patient and their families.
LPN Schools in Oregon
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
You can get started on a new career with Institute of Technology. We offer diploma and associate degree programs for careers in the culinary, technical, medical, business, and legal fields.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at www.iot.edu/disclosure.
- Practical Nursing
- Professional Medical Assistant
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Healthcare Administration (BS)
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. in Forensic Psychology: Non-Licensure Track
List of Approved OR Practical Nursing Schools
2600 Northwest College Way
Bend, OR 97701
4000 Lancaster Drive Northeast
PO BOX 14007
Salem, OR 97309
1651 Lexington Avenue
Astoria, OR 97103
400 East Scenic Drive
The Dalles, OR 97058
1425 Northeast Irving Street Building #300
Portland, OR 97232
4707 Silverton Road Northeast
Salem, OR 97305
7390 South 6th Street
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
4000 East 30th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97405
26000 Southeast Stark Street
Gresham, OR 97030
400 Southeast College Way
Newport, OR 97366
3800 Sports Way
Springfield, OR 97477
27375 Southwest Parkway Avenue
Wilsonville, OR 97070
202 South Riverside
Medford, OR 97501
8909 Southwest Barbur Boulevard Suite #100
Portland, OR 97219
650 College Boulevard
Ontario, OR 97914
(541) 881-8822, ext.345
1140 College Road
PO BOX 967
Roseburg, OR 97470