How to Become an LPN in Tennessee
All over the United States, the nursing shortage is steadily increasing. With the growth of technology and the new and increasingly effective health procedures, it is very simple, people are living longer. With the increase in life expectancy, comes the increase need of nurses to care for people. These issues are reflected in the health industry in Tennessee.
There is a growing number of jobs in the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) field in Tennessee. In the state, LPN’s make up approximately 29% of the nurses, with a comfort score that is 13th in the nation. These numbers take into consideration the average LPN salary, the cost of living, and the average state salary.
There are many job openings in the field of nursing. With not only the Tennessee hospitals, but the home health companies, long term care facilities, clinics, and doctor’s offices, the need is ever growing. The health care industry is now offering more flexible schedules, along with educational benefits, better pay, and other special incentives to attempt to keep the staff they have and to recruit new staff. There are some hospitals that are even offering to reimburse for student loans or give sign on bonuses to draw nurses to their facilities.
In Tennessee; Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Memphis offer the greatest number of job opportunities, along with the most educational institutions. The average yearly income for an LPN in Tennessee is $35,990. Of course this number will vary according to the area of the state you live and work in. The nurse that works in the hospital usually earns more that the nurse that works in the doctor’s office. Pay is definitely one thing to take into consideration when choosing a career path, but it is only one of the things that should be considered. Although the home health care agencies, long term care facilities, and doctor’s offices may not pay as much, they are the fastest growing potential employers for the LPN in the state.
Becoming an LPN in the Tennessee, is the fastest way to become a nurse. The LPN course only takes a year and does include hands-on practice. The LPN must have a CPR card and also pass the NCLEX-PN exam after completion of their course. The state requires them to renew their license every two years. It is not mandatory though to have continuing education hours in order to renew this license. The state does require the LPN to have worked as a nurse during the past five years and to have completed two out of the fifteen possible requirements.
With the comfort score of the registered nurses in Tennessee being considerably higher than the LPN’s, it is always good advice that they consider working toward an RN degree. In the state of Tennessee, a career as an LPN can provide security and definitely opportunities. It is always advisable though to continue working toward that RN degree. Always research thoroughly before making a decision, but if becoming a nurse in Tennessee is appealing to you, your career path can definitely lead you to a long and interesting career.
LPN Schools in Tennessee
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- BS Nursing
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AAS Medical Assisting
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Medical Assistant
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
List of Approved TN Practical Nursing Schools
Tennessee College of Applied Technology is the largest institutional provider of Practical Nursing education in the state of Tennessee. With more than 15 different campus locations to choose from, TCAT offers the widest array of physical locations to complete LPN training. Both part-time and full-time programs are available. This school boasts excellent pass rates and placement rates for graduating students of over 90% at almost all campuses. Each campus has its own unique website which describes their LPN program offerings, class schedules, faculty members and more.
355 Scott High Drive
Huntsville, TN 37756
5600 Brainerd Rd, Suite E3
Chattanooga, TN 37411
4501 Amnicola Highway
Chattanooga, TN 37406
Newbern, TN 38059
731-627-2511, ext. 109
2468 Technology Center Drive
Jackson, TN 38301
1233 East College Street
Pulaski, TN 38478
1635 Vo-Tech Drive
Athens, TN 37323
910 Miller Ave
Crossville, TN 38555
740 Highway 46 South
Dickson, TN 37055
1500 Arney Street
Elizabethton, TN 37643
423-547-2590, ext. 412
1745 Harriman Highway
Harriman, TN 37748
716 McMurry Blvd
Harstville, TN 37074
813 West Main Street
Hohenwald, TN 38462
1100 Liberty St.
Knoxville, TN 37919
Tennessee College of Applied Technology Livingston LPN Program
740 Hi Tech Dr.
Livingston, TN 38570
550 Alabama Ave.
Memphis, TN 38105
821 West Louise Ave
Morristown, TN 37813
1303 Old Fort Parkway
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
1405 Madison Street
Shelbyville, TN 37037
100 White Bridge Rd.
Nashville, TN 37209
312 South Wilson Street
Paris, TN 38242