How to Become an LPN in Utah
The Utah State Board of Nursing regulates the licensing and practice of nurses in the state. There are more than 3,300 licensed practical nurses (LPN) in Utah, which makes up 11% of the entire nursing workforce in Utah. Utah is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
An LPN registered in another Compact state can practice nursing in Utah without a new license. However, if an LPN makes Utah their primary home residence, they will have to obtain a new license in Utah.
LPNs are required to complete an accredited and approved LPN program and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) in order to be employed as an LPN. A student enrolled in a registered nurse (RN) program may apply for LPN by equivalency once the equivalent LPN course work has been completed. This will allow the student to take the NCLEX-PN exam, and if the student passes work as an LPN while completing studies to become an RN. Graduates of the LPN program will receive a diploma or certificate.
Courses taken in an LPN program include nutrition, anatomy, microbiology, nursing fundamentals, medical terminology, basic and advanced first aid, obstetric, pediatric and geriatric studies. Clinical training is held at an area healthcare facility. The training allows students to experience firsthand, hands-on patient care and participate in actual care situations. Students must pass both phases of the course in order to graduate. Classes and clinical training are taught by registered nurses who are also certified nursing instructors.
Students in the final semester of the LPN program are allowed to apply to the Utah State Board of Nursing to take the NCLEX-PN exam and register for the NCLEX-PN exam. Students must also complete a criminal background check and fingerprint card. Students who have their fingerprint card completed by the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) of Utah will not be charged a fee.
Once Pearson VUE has been notified the student’s application has been approved, including successful clearance of the background check and fingerprint card, the student will be notified and allowed to schedule the exam. The student will be notified of the results within two weeks and will receive their paper license within three weeks. If the student does not pass the exam, they are allowed to reapply and take the exam after a 45 day waiting period.
LPNs in Utah are required to renew their license every two years and LPN licenses expire on the last day of the licensee’s birth month. Requirements for renewal are to submit an application no sooner than 60 days prior to expiration for renewal and complete 30 hours of continuing education, or 200 practice hours and 15 hours of continuing education or 400 practice hours.
LPNs are in great demand in Utah and by the year 2020, nursing opportunities will increase by 20 to 22%. The average salary is $39,500 and entry level LPNs can expect to earn $26,000 their first year of employment. In addition to salary, LPNs often receive other benefits that may include health insurance, pension and/or 401K participation, long and short term disability, dental insurance and tuition reimbursement. LPNs can often increase their salary by enhancing their education by taking additional nursing classes and taking on higher levels of responsibility.
LPNs will find employment in hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities and rehabilitative centers, private and public clinics, correctional facilities, educational facilities, summer camps and occupational health centers. Large corporations often have an on-site first aid facility that will employ an LPN. For LPNs who would rather not practice in a medical facility will find employment reviewing medical claims for insurance companies.
LPN Schools in Utah
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Medical Assistant
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Healthcare Administration (BS)
- Nursing Education (AD)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
List of Approved UT Practical Nursing Schools
1301 North 600 West
Logan, UT 84321
550 E 300 S
Kaysville, UT 84037
Mountainland Applied Technology College
200 N Washington Blvd
Ogden, UT 84404
150 College Avenue
Ephraim, UT 84627
1100 E Lagoon St
Roosevelt, UT 84066
5100 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
School of Nursing
Ogden, UT 84408