How to Become an LPN in Utah
The Utah State Board of Nursing regulates the licensing and practice of nurses in the state. There are more than 3,300 licensed practical nurses (LPN) in Utah, which makes up 11% of the entire nursing workforce in Utah. Utah is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
An LPN registered in another Compact state can practice nursing in Utah without a new license. However, if an LPN makes Utah their primary home residence, they will have to obtain a new license in Utah.
LPNs are required to complete an accredited and approved LPN program and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) in order to be employed as an LPN. A student enrolled in a registered nurse (RN) program may apply for LPN by equivalency once the equivalent LPN course work has been completed. This will allow the student to take the NCLEX-PN exam, and if the student passes work as an LPN while completing studies to become an RN. Graduates of the LPN program will receive a diploma or certificate.
Courses taken in an LPN program include nutrition, anatomy, microbiology, nursing fundamentals, medical terminology, basic and advanced first aid, obstetric, pediatric and geriatric studies. Clinical training is held at an area healthcare facility. The training allows students to experience firsthand, hands-on patient care and participate in actual care situations. Students must pass both phases of the course in order to graduate. Classes and clinical training are taught by registered nurses who are also certified nursing instructors.
Students in the final semester of the LPN program are allowed to apply to the Utah State Board of Nursing to take the NCLEX-PN exam and register for the NCLEX-PN exam. Students must also complete a criminal background check and fingerprint card. Students who have their fingerprint card completed by the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) of Utah will not be charged a fee.
Once Pearson VUE has been notified the student’s application has been approved, including successful clearance of the background check and fingerprint card, the student will be notified and allowed to schedule the exam. The student will be notified of the results within two weeks and will receive their paper license within three weeks. If the student does not pass the exam, they are allowed to reapply and take the exam after a 45 day waiting period.
LPNs in Utah are required to renew their license every two years and LPN licenses expire on the last day of the licensee’s birth month. Requirements for renewal are to submit an application no sooner than 60 days prior to expiration for renewal and complete 30 hours of continuing education, or 200 practice hours and 15 hours of continuing education or 400 practice hours.
LPNs are in great demand in Utah and by the year 2020, nursing opportunities will increase by 20 to 22%. The average salary is $39,500 and entry level LPNs can expect to earn $26,000 their first year of employment. In addition to salary, LPNs often receive other benefits that may include health insurance, pension and/or 401K participation, long and short term disability, dental insurance and tuition reimbursement. LPNs can often increase their salary by enhancing their education by taking additional nursing classes and taking on higher levels of responsibility.
LPNs will find employment in hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities and rehabilitative centers, private and public clinics, correctional facilities, educational facilities, summer camps and occupational health centers. Large corporations often have an on-site first aid facility that will employ an LPN. For LPNs who would rather not practice in a medical facility will find employment reviewing medical claims for insurance companies.
LPN Schools in Utah
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
List of Approved UT Practical Nursing Schools
1301 North 600 West
Logan, UT 84321
550 E 300 S
Kaysville, UT 84037
Mountainland Applied Technology College
200 N Washington Blvd
Ogden, UT 84404
150 College Avenue
Ephraim, UT 84627
1100 E Lagoon St
Roosevelt, UT 84066
5100 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
School of Nursing
Ogden, UT 84408