How to Become an LPN in Utah
The Utah State Board of Nursing regulates the licensing and practice of nurses in the state. There are more than 3,300 licensed practical nurses (LPN) in Utah, which makes up 11% of the entire nursing workforce in Utah. Utah is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
An LPN registered in another Compact state can practice nursing in Utah without a new license. However, if an LPN makes Utah their primary home residence, they will have to obtain a new license in Utah.
LPNs are required to complete an accredited and approved LPN program and pass the National Council for Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) in order to be employed as an LPN. A student enrolled in a registered nurse (RN) program may apply for LPN by equivalency once the equivalent LPN course work has been completed. This will allow the student to take the NCLEX-PN exam, and if the student passes work as an LPN while completing studies to become an RN. Graduates of the LPN program will receive a diploma or certificate.
Courses taken in an LPN program include nutrition, anatomy, microbiology, nursing fundamentals, medical terminology, basic and advanced first aid, obstetric, pediatric and geriatric studies. Clinical training is held at an area healthcare facility. The training allows students to experience firsthand, hands-on patient care and participate in actual care situations. Students must pass both phases of the course in order to graduate. Classes and clinical training are taught by registered nurses who are also certified nursing instructors.
Students in the final semester of the LPN program are allowed to apply to the Utah State Board of Nursing to take the NCLEX-PN exam and register for the NCLEX-PN exam. Students must also complete a criminal background check and fingerprint card. Students who have their fingerprint card completed by the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) of Utah will not be charged a fee.
Once Pearson VUE has been notified the student’s application has been approved, including successful clearance of the background check and fingerprint card, the student will be notified and allowed to schedule the exam. The student will be notified of the results within two weeks and will receive their paper license within three weeks. If the student does not pass the exam, they are allowed to reapply and take the exam after a 45 day waiting period.
LPNs in Utah are required to renew their license every two years and LPN licenses expire on the last day of the licensee’s birth month. Requirements for renewal are to submit an application no sooner than 60 days prior to expiration for renewal and complete 30 hours of continuing education, or 200 practice hours and 15 hours of continuing education or 400 practice hours.
LPNs are in great demand in Utah and by the year 2020, nursing opportunities will increase by 20 to 22%. The average salary is $39,500 and entry level LPNs can expect to earn $26,000 their first year of employment. In addition to salary, LPNs often receive other benefits that may include health insurance, pension and/or 401K participation, long and short term disability, dental insurance and tuition reimbursement. LPNs can often increase their salary by enhancing their education by taking additional nursing classes and taking on higher levels of responsibility.
LPNs will find employment in hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities and rehabilitative centers, private and public clinics, correctional facilities, educational facilities, summer camps and occupational health centers. Large corporations often have an on-site first aid facility that will employ an LPN. For LPNs who would rather not practice in a medical facility will find employment reviewing medical claims for insurance companies.
LPN Schools in Utah
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Assisting (AOS)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
List of Approved UT Practical Nursing Schools
1301 North 600 West
Logan, UT 84321
550 E 300 S
Kaysville, UT 84037
Mountainland Applied Technology College
200 N Washington Blvd
Ogden, UT 84404
150 College Avenue
Ephraim, UT 84627
1100 E Lagoon St
Roosevelt, UT 84066
5100 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
School of Nursing
Ogden, UT 84408