How to Become an LPN in Virginia
An LPN or Licensed Practical Nurse provides basic medical care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or a Doctor. Some of the duties an LPN will perform include changing dressings on wounds, inserting catheters, checking blood pressure and other vital signs. In Virginia, an LPN is allowed to administer IVs including medication used in dialysis.
Although LPN’s cannot administer blood without the signature of an RN. An LPN may also help patients with basic care such as bathing and dressing and will keep accurate records on patient care and health. LPN’s will also discuss care options with patients and their families and report this information to a registered nurse or physician.
Virginia LPN Job Outlook
People considering a job in the medical field should consider a position as an LPN. Students can earn an LPN in a short amount of time and begin working immediately. The job outlook for LPN’s in Virginia will increase of the next 10-20 years. Also students who want to continue their education can earn an RN degree and gain more experience and help patients in a different capacity.
LPN Coursework in Virginia
Students who want to work as an LPN will need to participate in course work to either earn a degree or certificate and pass the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Students will need to take classes like the following:
Foundation Skills in Nursing
Pharmacology for Practical Nurses
LPN Salaries in Virginia
LPN’s in Virginia earn between $19,000 and $37,000 dollars per year. Depending on where the LPN is working, he or she can earn an average of $18.25 per hour if working in a metropolitan area. Salary will also depend on the type of setting where the LPN is working. Most LPN’s work in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Virginia LPN’s may also work in a hospital setting. When considering salary, an LPN also needs to look at additional benefits like healthcare and continued education credits.
LPN Education Requirements in Virginia
All LPN’s working in Virginia will need at least a certificate stating they have completed required course work. To begin coursework, a student will need a high school diploma or GED. An LPN will also need to pass the NCLEX-PN before working as a licensed practical nurse. The more education a person has received, the more likely he or she will earn a higher salary. To administer medication, an LPN in Virginia may also need additional qualifications.
LPN Schools in Virginia
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...