How to Become an LPN in Virginia
An LPN or Licensed Practical Nurse provides basic medical care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or a Doctor. Some of the duties an LPN will perform include changing dressings on wounds, inserting catheters, checking blood pressure and other vital signs. In Virginia, an LPN is allowed to administer IVs including medication used in dialysis.
Although LPN’s cannot administer blood without the signature of an RN. An LPN may also help patients with basic care such as bathing and dressing and will keep accurate records on patient care and health. LPN’s will also discuss care options with patients and their families and report this information to a registered nurse or physician.
Virginia LPN Job Outlook
People considering a job in the medical field should consider a position as an LPN. Students can earn an LPN in a short amount of time and begin working immediately. The job outlook for LPN’s in Virginia will increase of the next 10-20 years. Also students who want to continue their education can earn an RN degree and gain more experience and help patients in a different capacity.
LPN Coursework in Virginia
Students who want to work as an LPN will need to participate in course work to either earn a degree or certificate and pass the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Students will need to take classes like the following:
Foundation Skills in Nursing
Pharmacology for Practical Nurses
LPN Salaries in Virginia
LPN’s in Virginia earn between $19,000 and $37,000 dollars per year. Depending on where the LPN is working, he or she can earn an average of $18.25 per hour if working in a metropolitan area. Salary will also depend on the type of setting where the LPN is working. Most LPN’s work in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Virginia LPN’s may also work in a hospital setting. When considering salary, an LPN also needs to look at additional benefits like healthcare and continued education credits.
LPN Education Requirements in Virginia
All LPN’s working in Virginia will need at least a certificate stating they have completed required course work. To begin coursework, a student will need a high school diploma or GED. An LPN will also need to pass the NCLEX-PN before working as a licensed practical nurse. The more education a person has received, the more likely he or she will earn a higher salary. To administer medication, an LPN in Virginia may also need additional qualifications.
LPN Schools in Virginia
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- And more...
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...