How to Become an LPN in Virginia
An LPN or Licensed Practical Nurse provides basic medical care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or a Doctor. Some of the duties an LPN will perform include changing dressings on wounds, inserting catheters, checking blood pressure and other vital signs. In Virginia, an LPN is allowed to administer IVs including medication used in dialysis.
Although LPN’s cannot administer blood without the signature of an RN. An LPN may also help patients with basic care such as bathing and dressing and will keep accurate records on patient care and health. LPN’s will also discuss care options with patients and their families and report this information to a registered nurse or physician.
Virginia LPN Job Outlook
People considering a job in the medical field should consider a position as an LPN. Students can earn an LPN in a short amount of time and begin working immediately. The job outlook for LPN’s in Virginia will increase of the next 10-20 years. Also students who want to continue their education can earn an RN degree and gain more experience and help patients in a different capacity.
LPN Coursework in Virginia
Students who want to work as an LPN will need to participate in course work to either earn a degree or certificate and pass the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Students will need to take classes like the following:
Foundation Skills in Nursing
Pharmacology for Practical Nurses
LPN Salaries in Virginia
LPN’s in Virginia earn between $19,000 and $37,000 dollars per year. Depending on where the LPN is working, he or she can earn an average of $18.25 per hour if working in a metropolitan area. Salary will also depend on the type of setting where the LPN is working. Most LPN’s work in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Virginia LPN’s may also work in a hospital setting. When considering salary, an LPN also needs to look at additional benefits like healthcare and continued education credits.
LPN Education Requirements in Virginia
All LPN’s working in Virginia will need at least a certificate stating they have completed required course work. To begin coursework, a student will need a high school diploma or GED. An LPN will also need to pass the NCLEX-PN before working as a licensed practical nurse. The more education a person has received, the more likely he or she will earn a higher salary. To administer medication, an LPN in Virginia may also need additional qualifications.
LPN Schools in Virginia
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
As the world is adjusting to new realities, we are prepared to help you work towards a successful future in a manner that is safer for you and the community at large. Here's how:
- We offer in-demand, career-focused education delivered through your local campus using live, interactive synchronous online delivery. There's also the flexibility to transition to an in-seat class environment once the current situation is resolved.
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Medical Assistant
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Medical Assistant Diploma
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!