How to Become an LPN in Wisconsin
Becoming an LPN in Wisconsin is a long-term project that will require a lot of your time and effort. The standards in Wisconsin are fairly strict and the scope of what an LPN may do unsupervised is limited. There are many educational options available to people who want to pursue a career in nursing in Wisconsin, but a state-certified one year course at an accredited school is the fastest way.
While it can be difficult to get find information about this when you’re just getting started, the process becomes much simpler when you have access to the right information. In Wisconsin, there are a number of restrictions placed upon Licensed Practical Nurses in regard to what they can and cannot do with patients. There are many similarities between a LPNs responsibilities in Wisconsin and elsewhere.
LPNs are allowed to administer certain types of medications and even run IV treatments with patients under certain circumstances. The state of Wisconsin has developed a set of guidelines that clearly defines specific circumstances where IV treatments and other medications can be administered by a LPN. Only a LPN with special training from an RN and corresponding class training can administer these medications. Also, the RN who supervises the LPN must be present in the facility for the Licensed Practical Nurse to perform these actions.
In general, a LPN in Wisconsin will spend more time helping patients with non-emergent care and with data logging. Data logging consists of doing rounds to check on patients, checking vitals, asking if they need anything and marking it all down in the patient’s board. Non-emergent care can be many different things, but it most commonly revolves around keeping a patient’s room in good repair and taking care of his or her hygiene requirements.
Wisconsin LPN Job OutlookLPN Education Requirements in Wisconsin
LPN programs in Wisconsin run for about a year and contain both a practical and classroom-based component. The classroom component will focus on things like basic anatomy, ethics, legal issues and other concerns that are of importance to LPNs. The practical class time will focus around the actual job responsibilities of LPNs in Wisconsin. This is where you’ll learn the ins and outs of what you’re responsible for as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the state of Wisconsin. This practical experience will put you in a much better position to effectively execute your duties as an LPN.
Licensed Practical Nurses in Wisconsin are required to renew their licensing on odd-numbered years. There is no continuing education requirement for LPNs in the state of Wisconsin. The renewal fee is $85 to stay licensed in the state. The licensing test covers a wide range of issues and it is most often administered at the end of your education program. All licensing is carried out by the Wisconsin State Board of Nursing. In addition to licensing, the board is also in charge of handling disciplinary actions for nurses under its jurisdiction.
LPN Schools in Wisconsin
IWU's online degree programs are completely online, eliminating the commute and classroom lectures from your day. Because you decide when to study, in most cases you are free to complete the 12 to 15 hours course commitment per week at your own pace and in the learning style that is best for you.
Where Is Indiana Wesleyan University?
Indiana Wesleyan University is located in Marion, Indiana. As an online student attending Indiana Wesleyan University Online, you may or may not have to visit Indiana Wesleyan University’s campus.
- M.S. Nursing - Psychiatric Mental Health
- M.S. Nursing and Master of Business Administration
- M.S. Nursing - Primary Care
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner