How to Become an LPN in Washington
Metropolitan areas in Eastern, Western and Central Washington are experiencing incredible growth rates. The need for highly-trained, passionate and career-driven LPN staff is evident in cities and smaller towns throughout Washington State. Though Washington is a progressive state with its eyes set on medical innovation, knowledgeable and disciplined nursing staff members are still in high demand.
From emerging cities like Moses Lake and Everett, to metro areas like Spokane, Seattle and Olympia, LPN professionals can take advantage of some of the most highly-compensated positions in the United States. The Pacific Northwest has become a popular locale for many residential demographics. These new residents require skilled medical attention that is generally directed toward highly-trained nursing staff.
Washington LPN Duties and Obligations
Licensed Practical Nurses in Washington State always work under the strict supervision of fully-licensed nurses or supervisory medical doctors. Duties of LPNs in Washington include hospital duties like recording vital sign data and collecting test samples. Specialized and private LPN duties will often require professionals to assist with normal patient daily activities like exercise, bathing, nutrition and working with pharmaceutical regimens. LPNs engaged in these duties must have work experience and a practical knowledge of the various types of patient care that is common in medical facilities.
Washington State’s Department of Health Nursing oversees and designs post-grad training for all LPN positions. This is a rigorous program that is comprehensive in its scope, and rewarding for those professionals who complete all the required scholastic and practical fields. The Washington State Department of Health Nursing division has designated certain training programs at facilities across the state to administer qualifying nursing programs for study. Qualifying programs are found at large universities and smaller trade schools throughout Washington. Upon completion of a Washington State LPN program, official licensing and recognition of achievement will be bestowed on each LPN graduate.
Special Washington State LPN Training
A unique qualification of LPN staff in Washington State is the requirement for at least seven hours of course study and practicum specifically oriented toward AIDS monitoring, support, education and treatment. All LPNs in Washington State must be prepared to enter a medical environment where human immunodeficiency is a prevailing concern. Continued education requirements on this subject are required yearly to maintain a state-recognized LPN certification. All Washington LPN staff must be prepared to enroll and complete two hours of post-graduate level coursework in AIDS education per year.
Final certification in Washington State for LPNs is similar to other states with special concentrations. All LPNs must pass the standardized NCLEX exam and a TOEFL if they are transferring to an LPN position from another state or foreign country. Washington State is actively recruiting foreign-educated LPNs because of their ability to speak non-English languages and recognize various forms of non-standard medical treatment. Anyone wanting to secure a position in the State of Washington as an LPN must be able to provide transcripts from previously-attended educational centers and demonstrate a working knowledge of universal medical communication and coding.
The current need for LPNs in Washington state is extremely high. There are about 750,000 nursing positions available state-wide. The median salary is about $40,380 per year. LPN jobs in Washington through the year 2020 are projected to grow at a rate of 22% with many positions remaining open to LPNs receiving training and promotional details as RNs with substantial salary increases.
The demand for excellent nursing staff in Washington State is extraordinary, and the employment opportunities for nursing professionals exceeds national averages. A career as an LPN in Washington State is a safe and potentially lucrative choice of occupation!
LPN Schools in Washington
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Family Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...