How to Become an LPN in Washington
Metropolitan areas in Eastern, Western and Central Washington are experiencing incredible growth rates. The need for highly-trained, passionate and career-driven LPN staff is evident in cities and smaller towns throughout Washington State. Though Washington is a progressive state with its eyes set on medical innovation, knowledgeable and disciplined nursing staff members are still in high demand.
From emerging cities like Moses Lake and Everett, to metro areas like Spokane, Seattle and Olympia, LPN professionals can take advantage of some of the most highly-compensated positions in the United States. The Pacific Northwest has become a popular locale for many residential demographics. These new residents require skilled medical attention that is generally directed toward highly-trained nursing staff.
Washington LPN Duties and Obligations
Licensed Practical Nurses in Washington State always work under the strict supervision of fully-licensed nurses or supervisory medical doctors. Duties of LPNs in Washington include hospital duties like recording vital sign data and collecting test samples. Specialized and private LPN duties will often require professionals to assist with normal patient daily activities like exercise, bathing, nutrition and working with pharmaceutical regimens. LPNs engaged in these duties must have work experience and a practical knowledge of the various types of patient care that is common in medical facilities.
Washington State’s Department of Health Nursing oversees and designs post-grad training for all LPN positions. This is a rigorous program that is comprehensive in its scope, and rewarding for those professionals who complete all the required scholastic and practical fields. The Washington State Department of Health Nursing division has designated certain training programs at facilities across the state to administer qualifying nursing programs for study. Qualifying programs are found at large universities and smaller trade schools throughout Washington. Upon completion of a Washington State LPN program, official licensing and recognition of achievement will be bestowed on each LPN graduate.
Special Washington State LPN Training
A unique qualification of LPN staff in Washington State is the requirement for at least seven hours of course study and practicum specifically oriented toward AIDS monitoring, support, education and treatment. All LPNs in Washington State must be prepared to enter a medical environment where human immunodeficiency is a prevailing concern. Continued education requirements on this subject are required yearly to maintain a state-recognized LPN certification. All Washington LPN staff must be prepared to enroll and complete two hours of post-graduate level coursework in AIDS education per year.
Final certification in Washington State for LPNs is similar to other states with special concentrations. All LPNs must pass the standardized NCLEX exam and a TOEFL if they are transferring to an LPN position from another state or foreign country. Washington State is actively recruiting foreign-educated LPNs because of their ability to speak non-English languages and recognize various forms of non-standard medical treatment. Anyone wanting to secure a position in the State of Washington as an LPN must be able to provide transcripts from previously-attended educational centers and demonstrate a working knowledge of universal medical communication and coding.
The current need for LPNs in Washington state is extremely high. There are about 750,000 nursing positions available state-wide. The median salary is about $40,380 per year. LPN jobs in Washington through the year 2020 are projected to grow at a rate of 22% with many positions remaining open to LPNs receiving training and promotional details as RNs with substantial salary increases.
The demand for excellent nursing staff in Washington State is extraordinary, and the employment opportunities for nursing professionals exceeds national averages. A career as an LPN in Washington State is a safe and potentially lucrative choice of occupation!
LPN Schools in Washington
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant