Programs to Become an RN in Alabama
The Alabama Board of Nursing (ABON) regulates the nursing industry across the state, including licensing and license renewal, suspension, revocation, active and inactive status and the board sets policy to assure patient care is the best quality it can be.
RN candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree in order to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
The student must attend a nursing program approved by the ABON. Such nursing programs are typically found at colleges and universities around the state. The program will be a combination of class work and clinical training. There are 21 schools offering an Associate’s degree, 14 schools that offer a Bachelor’s degree, 11 schools that offer a Master’s degree and 5 schools that offer a Doctorate degree in nursing. There are some nursing programs that offer a fast track program for nursing candidates with degrees in other fields. The candidate can fast track a Bachelors of Science in nursing degree (BSN) with a contiguous 12 month year round program and then morph into the Master of Science in nursing (MSN) after another contiguous 12 months of study. Both programs will prepare the student to take the NCLEX-RN upon completion of the program.
After completing the nursing program, graduates are required to pass the NCLEX-RN. An application to test is submitted to the ABON with the required information, including fingerprint card and information for a criminal background check and a 2”x2” passport type photo taken no more than 6 months prior to submitting the application. The applicant also has to register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. When the ABON approves the application the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT in hand the applicant makes an appointment to take the exam at the Pearson VUE testing center. On the day of the exam, the applicant will be required to show proper identification and the ATT in order to be admitted to the testing site.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years to keep the license active. RNs are not allowed to practice nursing in any manner without a valid license. RNs must complete 24 continuing education hours every two years. The programs must be approved by the ABON and any hours beyond 24 hours within one renewal period cannot be carried over to the next renewal period. When renewing an RN license for the first time, four hours of the continuing education classes must be related to the nursing board’s functions, accountability and regulations, professional conduct and the state’s Nurse Practice Act.
The average RN salary in Alabama is $58,000 and the entry level RN salary is $40,000. The high end of the RN salary scale is about $110,000. Actual salaries and salary advancement depend on geographic location, type of facility where employed, level of responsibility assumed, type of nursing specialty and years of experience. RN’s in a supervisory position will earn closer to the high salary mark.
RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including occupational health centers, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, hospitals, clinics, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, travel clubs and private duty care. RNs dispense medication, dress wounds, chart recovery progress, perform diagnostic testing and assist surgeons in the operating room.
RN Training Schools in Alabama
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online