Programs to Become an RN in Alabama
The Alabama Board of Nursing (ABON) regulates the nursing industry across the state, including licensing and license renewal, suspension, revocation, active and inactive status and the board sets policy to assure patient care is the best quality it can be.
RN candidates are required to earn at least an Associate’s degree in order to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
The student must attend a nursing program approved by the ABON. Such nursing programs are typically found at colleges and universities around the state. The program will be a combination of class work and clinical training. There are 21 schools offering an Associate’s degree, 14 schools that offer a Bachelor’s degree, 11 schools that offer a Master’s degree and 5 schools that offer a Doctorate degree in nursing. There are some nursing programs that offer a fast track program for nursing candidates with degrees in other fields. The candidate can fast track a Bachelors of Science in nursing degree (BSN) with a contiguous 12 month year round program and then morph into the Master of Science in nursing (MSN) after another contiguous 12 months of study. Both programs will prepare the student to take the NCLEX-RN upon completion of the program.
After completing the nursing program, graduates are required to pass the NCLEX-RN. An application to test is submitted to the ABON with the required information, including fingerprint card and information for a criminal background check and a 2”x2” passport type photo taken no more than 6 months prior to submitting the application. The applicant also has to register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. When the ABON approves the application the applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT in hand the applicant makes an appointment to take the exam at the Pearson VUE testing center. On the day of the exam, the applicant will be required to show proper identification and the ATT in order to be admitted to the testing site.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years to keep the license active. RNs are not allowed to practice nursing in any manner without a valid license. RNs must complete 24 continuing education hours every two years. The programs must be approved by the ABON and any hours beyond 24 hours within one renewal period cannot be carried over to the next renewal period. When renewing an RN license for the first time, four hours of the continuing education classes must be related to the nursing board’s functions, accountability and regulations, professional conduct and the state’s Nurse Practice Act.
The average RN salary in Alabama is $58,000 and the entry level RN salary is $40,000. The high end of the RN salary scale is about $110,000. Actual salaries and salary advancement depend on geographic location, type of facility where employed, level of responsibility assumed, type of nursing specialty and years of experience. RN’s in a supervisory position will earn closer to the high salary mark.
RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including occupational health centers, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, hospitals, clinics, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, travel clubs and private duty care. RNs dispense medication, dress wounds, chart recovery progress, perform diagnostic testing and assist surgeons in the operating room.
RN Training Schools in Alabama
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting / Medical Assisting Specialist
- Medical Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Respiratory Therapy (RRT to BSRT)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!