Programs to Become an RN in Alaska
The choice to enter the field of medicine and become a nurse is admirable, challenging and rewarding. Providing patients with the best care possible is what nursing is all about, whether care is rendered in a nursing home, hospital, assisted care facility or home care.
The Alaska Board of Nursing (ABON) regulates the field of nursing including the licensing of nurses. ABON approves nursing programs and sets policies to assure patients receive the best care possible utilizing state of the art methods, techniques, technology and medicines. Nurses are required to be licensed in order to practice nursing and after completing a nursing program approved by the ABON and take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
RNs are required to complete a nursing program approved by the ABON and leading to an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and there is only one school in the state that offers such nursing programs, but the school has formed partnerships with 13 other schools to offer nursing programs in what is called Distance Learning.
The difference between earning an Associate’s and Bachelor’s degree is a nurse with a Bachelor’s degree will find more nursing opportunities, slightly better pay and positions with more responsibility. Some nurses who earn an Associate’s degree will take the NCLEX-RN and then continue their studies towards a Bachelor’s degree while working as a nurse. Another possible route to becoming an RN is to complete a nursing program in licensed practical nursing (LPN), take the NCLEX-PN and work as an LPN while pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and working toward becoming an RN.
After the educational component is completed, the graduate submits an application to the ABON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application includes a criminal background check and a fingerprint card. The graduate is also required to register with the administrator of the exam, Pearson VUE. The nursing board will review the application and when approved will issue the student an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT, the graduate is free to schedule the exam. When the exam is passed, the ABON will issue the graduate an RN license number. The graduate can apply for a temporary license that will be valid for 6 months. This will allow the grad to work while in the exam process. If the grad fails the exam, the temporary license automatically expires.
Alaska RN licenses expire on 30 November on even years. RNs are required to renew their license every two years and must meet one of three requirements for renewal. RNs must complete 30 hours of professional nursing activities, 30 contact hours or 320 hours of nursing employment.
The average salary for an RN in Alaska is $82,080. The starting salary for an entry level RN is $48,000 and the high end of the RN salary scale is $110,000. The actual starting salary and salary offers for experienced RNs will vary according to geographic location, level of responsibility, area of specialty, years of experience and level of education.
RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including nursing homes, hospitals, occupational health facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and clinics. Nurses perform a wide variety of duties including dispensing medication, establishing patient care plans, dressing wounds and changing dressings, monitor vital signs, perform diagnostic tests and track results.
RN Training Schools in Alaska
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant