Programs to Become an RN in Alaska
The choice to enter the field of medicine and become a nurse is admirable, challenging and rewarding. Providing patients with the best care possible is what nursing is all about, whether care is rendered in a nursing home, hospital, assisted care facility or home care.
The Alaska Board of Nursing (ABON) regulates the field of nursing including the licensing of nurses. ABON approves nursing programs and sets policies to assure patients receive the best care possible utilizing state of the art methods, techniques, technology and medicines. Nurses are required to be licensed in order to practice nursing and after completing a nursing program approved by the ABON and take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
RNs are required to complete a nursing program approved by the ABON and leading to an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and there is only one school in the state that offers such nursing programs, but the school has formed partnerships with 13 other schools to offer nursing programs in what is called Distance Learning.
The difference between earning an Associate’s and Bachelor’s degree is a nurse with a Bachelor’s degree will find more nursing opportunities, slightly better pay and positions with more responsibility. Some nurses who earn an Associate’s degree will take the NCLEX-RN and then continue their studies towards a Bachelor’s degree while working as a nurse. Another possible route to becoming an RN is to complete a nursing program in licensed practical nursing (LPN), take the NCLEX-PN and work as an LPN while pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and working toward becoming an RN.
After the educational component is completed, the graduate submits an application to the ABON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application includes a criminal background check and a fingerprint card. The graduate is also required to register with the administrator of the exam, Pearson VUE. The nursing board will review the application and when approved will issue the student an authorization to test (ATT). With the ATT, the graduate is free to schedule the exam. When the exam is passed, the ABON will issue the graduate an RN license number. The graduate can apply for a temporary license that will be valid for 6 months. This will allow the grad to work while in the exam process. If the grad fails the exam, the temporary license automatically expires.
Alaska RN licenses expire on 30 November on even years. RNs are required to renew their license every two years and must meet one of three requirements for renewal. RNs must complete 30 hours of professional nursing activities, 30 contact hours or 320 hours of nursing employment.
The average salary for an RN in Alaska is $82,080. The starting salary for an entry level RN is $48,000 and the high end of the RN salary scale is $110,000. The actual starting salary and salary offers for experienced RNs will vary according to geographic location, level of responsibility, area of specialty, years of experience and level of education.
RNs will find employment in a variety of facilities including nursing homes, hospitals, occupational health facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and clinics. Nurses perform a wide variety of duties including dispensing medication, establishing patient care plans, dressing wounds and changing dressings, monitor vital signs, perform diagnostic tests and track results.
RN Training Schools in Alaska
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- And more...
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online. We offer several Associates and Bachelors degrees in the business, health care, accounting and legal fields. Our accelerated programs are designed to help you complete your degree as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We help students get not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management