Programs to Become an RN in Arizona
Arizona is an attractive state for nurses who enjoy a warm climate and almost perpetual sunshine. The nursing opportunities in Arizona are strong and will remain strong for the next decade. New nursing opportunities are emerging on a regular basis as medical technology advances and healthcare options expand.
The Arizona State Board of Nursing (ASBON) regulates the nursing profession, including initial licensing and license renewal, as well as the approval of nursing programs and the courses included in the nursing program. All nursing programs must be approved by the ASBON in order to fulfill the educational requirements to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
Nursing candidates are required to complete an approved nursing program at an accredited college or university and earn an Associate’s or Bachelors degree. Nursing programs provide the student with education in obstetrics, pediatrics and geriatric patients, patients with mental impairment and patients seeking wellness care. The programs must also include clinical training.
A month before the student is set to graduate; they can apply to the ASBON to take the NCLEX-RN. The student must request a transcript be sent to the ASBON directly from the school they attend and submit an application with the required information including information for a criminal background check and fingerprint card. The ASBON will review each application and if complete will issue an authorization to test (ATT). The student will register with Pearson VUE to take the exam, and once the ATT has been issued, the exam can be taken. There is a 60 day timeframe to take the exam beginning on the day the ATT is issued. If the exam is not taken within the 60 day timeframe, the ATT is null and void, and the application process must begin again. If the student passes the exam, they will be issued an RN license number. If the student does not pass the exam, they will be given the opportunity to take the exam again.
Nurses in Arizona must renew their license every two years. A prerequisite for renewal is to complete 960 hours of RN licensed practice, ASBON approved refresher course or completion of an advanced nursing degrees including RN to BSN, MSN, Doctorate or advanced practice certificate every five years.
RNs in Arizona will find employment in a variety of facilities including hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, occupational healthcare centers, schools and government facilities, vacation clubs and insurance companies evaluating medical claims.
The average salary for RNs is $75,000 annually and the starting salary for an RN with little or no experience is about $49,000, and an RN who was previously employed as a licensed practical nurse (LPN) or a certified nursing assistant (CNA) will command a starting salary of about $55,000. The actual salary will vary according to geographic location, type of facility where employed, level of responsibility, area of expertise, if any, and years of experience.
RNs take on a variety of duties and those duties often vary depending on the facility and day of the week. RNs supervise the CNA staff, coordinate care plans, dispense medication according to plan, perform emergency measures, assist doctors in surgery, track vital signs, coordinate information between doctors and patients and their families and dress wounds and change dressings.
RN Training Schools in Arizona
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Forensic Psychology (MA) (Online)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in CollegeAmerica is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Healthcare Administration (BS)