Programs to Become an RN in Arkansas
Nursing is an incredibly rewarding career choice for anyone who has the passion and compassion to take care of people and thrive on challenge. Nursing schools are very competitive and it will take dedication and effort to complete the required education and licensing exam.
RNs take on a variety of tasks and responsibilities including dispensing medication, performing diagnostic tests, establishing, implementing and maintaining patient care plans, taking vital signs, tracking patient progress, performing emergency tasks, coordinating information between doctor, patient and family and dressing wounds and changing those dressings. RNs find employment in nursing homes and hospitals, clinics, occupational healthcare facilities, assisted living facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and insurance companies evaluating medical claims.
RNs are required to complete a nursing program approved by the Arkansas Board of Nursing (ABON) and receive an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree. An Associate’s degree can be completed in two years and a Bachelor’s degree can be completed in four years. Most nursing programs require students to take substantial courses in science and math during high school. If a science and math background is not sufficient, nursing schools may require the student to take the necessary pre-requisite programs prior to applying to nursing school. There are nursing programs design to allow a licensed practical nurse (LPN) transition to a Bachelors degree program and receive credit for their LPN education.
RNs in Arkansas are required by law to be licensed before taking up the practice of nursing. Before the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) can be taken, applicants must complete the educational component. Upon graduation, graduates must submit an application and the appropriate fee to take the NCLEX-RN to the ABON. The application includes information to conduct a criminal background check and the inclusion of a fingerprint card. The graduate then has to register, and pay the appropriate fee to Pearson VUE, with the exam administrator, Pearson VUE. Once the ABON approves the graduate’s application, the graduate will be issued an authorization to test (ATT). The ATT is needed to schedule an examination with Pearson VUE. The graduate will have 60 days to schedule and take the exam and the clock starts ticking the day the ATT is issued. Exam results are available 72 hours after the exam is taken. Graduates may apply for a temporary nursing license in order to work during the NCLEX-RN process.
RNs are required to renew their license every two years. All licenses expire on the last day of their birth month and either the odd or even year of the license holder’s birth. Licenses must be renewed within 60 days prior to the expiration. Licenses can be renewed online. Keep in mind it may take up to two weeks to process a license renewal. RNs are required to complete continuing education hours for license renewal and may complete those hours in one of three ways. The RN may complete a minimum of one college credit hour in nursing with a grade of C or better; hold a nationally recognized and current certificate or recertification or 15 hours of accredited and appropriately focused nursing activities.
The average RN salary in Arkansas is $67,930 and the average starting salary for an entry level RN is $42,000. Nurses In a supervisory position and with many years of experience will earn $95,000 to $110,000.
RN Training Schools in Arkansas
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Specialization in Nurse Administrator (MSN)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Forensic Counseling
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- M.S. in Forensic Psychology - Psychology and Legal Systems
- And more...
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Online MSN Nurse Educator Degree
For further information, students can consult directly with the…
Arkansas State Board of Nursing
University Tower Building
1123 South University, Suite 800
Little Rock, AR 72204
Phone: (501) 686-2700
Fax: (501) 686-2714