Programs to Become an RN in California
The California Board of Nursing (CBON) regulates the field of nursing. The board sets nursing policies to ensure patients and their families of the best possible medical care and regulates licensing and license renewal. Nurses in California are in demand as healthcare options expand and the population experiences greater longevity. Nursing employment will continue grow by 23% through the year 2020 and the greatest demand will be in outpatient care facilities, home health care and physician’s offices.
To become a registered nurse (RN) in California requires the completion of an approved nursing program and a passing grade on the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Nursing candidates must earn at least an Associate’s Degree to qualify for the NCLEX-RN. The nursing program must include class work and clinical training. Healthcare professionals recommend nursing students complete at least a Bachelor’s degree, unless the plan is to become a licensed practical nurse (LPN), which takes about 8 to 12 months of schooling to complete, and work as an LPN while completing the work to complete studies for a Bachelors degree. A Bachelor’s degree also translates to greater responsibility, professional advancement and specialization opportunities.
Once the educational component is completed, graduates have to pass the NCLEX-RN program to become licensed. Applicants are required to submit an exam application, including a fingerprint card and criminal background check information, to the CBON and register with Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. Once the CBON approves the application, the applicant is issued an authorization to test (ATT). Once the ATT has been issued the graduate can schedule the exam with Pearson VUE. Graduates may also apply for a temporary RN license allowing the graduate to work as an RN while negotiating the exam process. The temporary license is valid for 60 days or until the exam is passed. If the applicant does not pass or take the exam in the allotted time frame, the temporary license will automatically expire.
The average RN salary in California is $71,000 and the average starting salary for an entry level RN is $48,000. The high end of the RN salary scale is about $130,000. RN’s in a supervisory position such as Director of Nursing (DON) and unit managers will hit close to the high mark, as well as nurses with an extraordinary number of years experience. The actual salary for RNs will depend on geographic location, level of responsibility, area of expertise and longevity.
The duties and responsibilities of RNs are varied depending on the type of facility and where employed. The typical RN duties include dispensing medication according to plan and gauging and tracking reaction and effectiveness, dressing wounds and changing dressings, assessing a patient’s condition and establishing a care plan, performing diagnostic tests, performing emergency procedures, addressing patients concerns, educating patients and families about the patient’s condition and preparing patients for discharge to home or other healthcare facilities.
RNs will find employment in hospitals and nursing homes, assisted care centers, occupational health facilities, clinics, doctor’s offices, correctional facilities, schools and visiting nurse and hospice organizations.
RN Training Schools in California
- Our Healthcare programs prepare graduates for a booming Healthcare industry allowing them to apply their classroom knowledge in our simulation labs during educational scenarios and training exercises.
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (RN to BSN) expands knowledge in areas of research, theory, leadership, community concepts, healthcare policy and current trends in healthcare.
- The RN to BSN program is specifically designed for students to increase their understanding of advanced nursing roles. A Registered Nurse (RN) License is required prior to admitance to this program.
- The Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN) is uniquely focused on nursing education. This program fosters independent learning and cultivates an in-depth understanding.
- Students learn to implement nursing course curriculum using evidence-based practice throughout the duration of the MSN program while engaging in scholarly work, research and teaching practicum.
- At Hallmark University, we designed our simulation labs and facilities to look and feel just like a hospital and modern healthcare environments.
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Offers programs in Massage Therapy, Allied Health and Nursing
- 100% online classes for as long as needed during required social period
- Offers practical training, and instruction from industry professionals
- Career Services
- Clinical Medical Assistant
- Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant
- Medical Assisting
Unitek College – About Us
Unitek College™ is a privately held vocational school dedicated to helping you gain the skills needed to advance your career or begin a brand new career. Your training at Unitek College will position you to take advantage of the rising demand for experts in allied health, nursing, and technology professions. Our programs include Medical Assisting, Dental Assisting, Vocational Nursing, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing: RN-to-BSN Degree Completion.
- Practical Nursing
- Vocational Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- And more...
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
At UEI College, we want you to succeed. We’re like a family and we want you to be a part of it. From the moment you enter ourschool, to graduation and beyond, we are right there with you.
- Medical Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!