Programs to Become an RN in Colorado
Healthcare enthusiasts searching for the best health field to enter may certainly want to consider nursing. The field of nursing is the fastest growing career and suffers considerably less than other career fields during times of economic downturn. Nursing continues it strong, upward trend and more than 85,000 nursing positions are expected to be added through the year 2020. Colorado is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
To qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in Colorado, RNs must complete a Bachelor’s degree in nursing. The school of choice must be accredited by Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and approved by the Colorado Board of Nursing (CBON). During the course of studies, students may choose an area of specialization. Students who pursue an advanced nursing degree, such as a master and doctorate will find more opportunity for advancement, positions in management and supervision and teaching.
Nursing students in Colorado often choose a specialty while in the clinical training portion of the program. Choice of specialty is based on field of interest, salary and advancement and employment opportunities. Some of the areas of specialty include emergency room, obstetrics, surgery, intensive care, geriatrics and public health.
Upon completing the required educational component, graduates must pass the NCLEX-RN.
Prior to graduation students are encourage to submit their application to the CBON to take the test and an application to Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The nursing board will review the application and if it is complete will approve it and if not, they will send it back to the application for completion. The applicant will receive an authorization to test (ATT) as soon as the application is approved. The ATT is needed to schedule an appointment with Pearson VUE to take the exam. The exam is 275 questions and 5 hours are allowed for the exam. When the applicant passes the exam, they will be issued an RN license number and added to the active nurse data base.
RNs must renew their license every two years. Each license expires on 30 September. For nurses who were born in an odd year, licenses renew in the odd year, the first renewal being the odd year following the initial license award. Nurses born in an even year will renew their license in the even year the first renewal being the even year following the initial license award. RNs are not required to complete continuing education hours as a requirement for renewal.
The average RN salary in Colorado is $68,000 and the average starting salary for an entry level RNs is $48,000. The maximum RN salary is $110,000. Salary increases are based on geographic location, area of specialty, years of experience, facility where employed and level of responsibility. RNs who hit closer to the maximum salary are typically nurses who have risen to supervisory and teaching positions.
RNs will find employment in nursing homes and hospitals, clinics, occupational healthcare centers, educational and government facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations and rehabilitation facilities. RNs typically dispense medication, perform diagnostic testing, monitor vital signs, dress wounds and change dressings, assist surgeons in the operating room and assemble patient care plans.
RN Training Schools in Colorado
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education