Programs to Become an RN in Connecticut
The economy has had an impact on just about every career over the last decade. The field of nursing has held fast and the demand for nurses, especially for registered nurses (RN). Nurses that hold a degree beyond an Associate’s degree and nursing registration will find job offers in all sectors of nursing. Employment in the nursing field is predicted to remain strong at least through the year 2018.
Entrance to nursing school is highly competitive and the best way to gain the competitive edge begins with taking the right classes while in high school. Math and science classes are key while in high school and working or volunteering in a health care facility will add to the foundation.
Nurses are required to be licensed in the state of Connecticut and the requirement to take the state mandated licensing exam, National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN), is to complete an accredited nursing program approved by the state of Connecticut Board of Nursing. The Connecticut Board of Nursing (CBON) regulates the licensing of all nurses. Connecticut is not a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
About a month prior to graduation, nursing candidates are encouraged to apply to the CBON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application is submitted to the CBON with the required information and fee. The CBON reviews the application and when approved, the applicant is issued an authorization to test (ATT). With an ATT in hand, the graduate registers with Pearson VUE, the exam administrators, and make an appointment to take the exam. The graduate has 60 days to take the exam or the ATT becomes invalid and the process must begin again.
If the graduate passes the exam, they are issued their RN license number and added to the online registered nurse data base. Perspective employers may check a nursing license by accessing the data base. If the graduate does not pass the exam, they will have the opportunity to take the exam again after a 45 day wait.
The average salary for an RN is $76,000. An entry level RN will make about $50,000 per year and the nursing salary will top out at $130,000. There are a lot of variables when determining salary and include level of education and responsibility, years of experience, the type of facility where employed and geographic location. RNs will find employment in hospitals, nursing homes and other care related facilities, public and private clinics, hospice and visiting nurse organizations, correctional and educational facilities and insurance company claims evaluators.
RNs are involved with direct patient care and fill supervisory positions. RNs fill the role of director of nursing (DON) and supervise the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNAs). RNs also establish and implement care plans, conduct medical testing, assist doctors with tests and procedures, track patient behavior and progress, dispense medication according to plan, prepare patients for discharge to home or other health care facilities, dress wounds, render emergency care and work with the entire medical team to provide the best care.
RN Training Schools in Connecticut
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Earn your degree from Lincoln College of New England. Over 30 undergraduate programs are available in Health Sciences, Business, Communications, Hospitality, and more. Financial aid is available for those who qualify
- RN to BSN
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Nursing (Practical)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)