Programs to Become an RN in Connecticut
The economy has had an impact on just about every career over the last decade. The field of nursing has held fast and the demand for nurses, especially for registered nurses (RN). Nurses that hold a degree beyond an Associate’s degree and nursing registration will find job offers in all sectors of nursing. Employment in the nursing field is predicted to remain strong at least through the year 2018.
Entrance to nursing school is highly competitive and the best way to gain the competitive edge begins with taking the right classes while in high school. Math and science classes are key while in high school and working or volunteering in a health care facility will add to the foundation.
Nurses are required to be licensed in the state of Connecticut and the requirement to take the state mandated licensing exam, National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN), is to complete an accredited nursing program approved by the state of Connecticut Board of Nursing. The Connecticut Board of Nursing (CBON) regulates the licensing of all nurses. Connecticut is not a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
About a month prior to graduation, nursing candidates are encouraged to apply to the CBON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application is submitted to the CBON with the required information and fee. The CBON reviews the application and when approved, the applicant is issued an authorization to test (ATT). With an ATT in hand, the graduate registers with Pearson VUE, the exam administrators, and make an appointment to take the exam. The graduate has 60 days to take the exam or the ATT becomes invalid and the process must begin again.
If the graduate passes the exam, they are issued their RN license number and added to the online registered nurse data base. Perspective employers may check a nursing license by accessing the data base. If the graduate does not pass the exam, they will have the opportunity to take the exam again after a 45 day wait.
The average salary for an RN is $76,000. An entry level RN will make about $50,000 per year and the nursing salary will top out at $130,000. There are a lot of variables when determining salary and include level of education and responsibility, years of experience, the type of facility where employed and geographic location. RNs will find employment in hospitals, nursing homes and other care related facilities, public and private clinics, hospice and visiting nurse organizations, correctional and educational facilities and insurance company claims evaluators.
RNs are involved with direct patient care and fill supervisory positions. RNs fill the role of director of nursing (DON) and supervise the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNAs). RNs also establish and implement care plans, conduct medical testing, assist doctors with tests and procedures, track patient behavior and progress, dispense medication according to plan, prepare patients for discharge to home or other health care facilities, dress wounds, render emergency care and work with the entire medical team to provide the best care.
RN Training Schools in Connecticut
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Respiratory Therapy (RRT to BSRT)
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Practical Nurse (LPN)-CERT
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Medical Assisting
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!