Programs to Become an RN in Connecticut
The economy has had an impact on just about every career over the last decade. The field of nursing has held fast and the demand for nurses, especially for registered nurses (RN). Nurses that hold a degree beyond an Associate’s degree and nursing registration will find job offers in all sectors of nursing. Employment in the nursing field is predicted to remain strong at least through the year 2018.
Entrance to nursing school is highly competitive and the best way to gain the competitive edge begins with taking the right classes while in high school. Math and science classes are key while in high school and working or volunteering in a health care facility will add to the foundation.
Nurses are required to be licensed in the state of Connecticut and the requirement to take the state mandated licensing exam, National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN), is to complete an accredited nursing program approved by the state of Connecticut Board of Nursing. The Connecticut Board of Nursing (CBON) regulates the licensing of all nurses. Connecticut is not a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
About a month prior to graduation, nursing candidates are encouraged to apply to the CBON to take the NCLEX-RN. The application is submitted to the CBON with the required information and fee. The CBON reviews the application and when approved, the applicant is issued an authorization to test (ATT). With an ATT in hand, the graduate registers with Pearson VUE, the exam administrators, and make an appointment to take the exam. The graduate has 60 days to take the exam or the ATT becomes invalid and the process must begin again.
If the graduate passes the exam, they are issued their RN license number and added to the online registered nurse data base. Perspective employers may check a nursing license by accessing the data base. If the graduate does not pass the exam, they will have the opportunity to take the exam again after a 45 day wait.
The average salary for an RN is $76,000. An entry level RN will make about $50,000 per year and the nursing salary will top out at $130,000. There are a lot of variables when determining salary and include level of education and responsibility, years of experience, the type of facility where employed and geographic location. RNs will find employment in hospitals, nursing homes and other care related facilities, public and private clinics, hospice and visiting nurse organizations, correctional and educational facilities and insurance company claims evaluators.
RNs are involved with direct patient care and fill supervisory positions. RNs fill the role of director of nursing (DON) and supervise the nursing staff, including certified nursing assistants (CNAs). RNs also establish and implement care plans, conduct medical testing, assist doctors with tests and procedures, track patient behavior and progress, dispense medication according to plan, prepare patients for discharge to home or other health care facilities, dress wounds, render emergency care and work with the entire medical team to provide the best care.
RN Training Schools in Connecticut
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Nursing (Practical)
- Medical Assistant
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Practical Nurse (LPN)-CERT
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assistant