Programs to Become an RN in Delaware
Nursing opportunities in Delaware continue to rise as healthcare options expand and people are living longer. According to the Bureau of Labor, nursing opportunities will continue to rise by 18 to 29% through the year 2020. Even though the demand for qualified nurses is great, being accepted to nursing school is highly competitive. Delaware is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact. What that means is once an RN, whose home state is Delaware, is licensed in Delaware they will be licensed in all other Compact states.
RN candidates are required to complete a nursing program approved by the Delaware Board of Nursing (DBON) and earn at least an Associate’s degree in order to qualify to take the National Council for Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). The program will include class work and clinical training. Students must pass both the class work and clinical aspects of the program to complete the program. Most nursing programs have a prerequisite program for nursing school applicants who are deficient in math and science. The prerequisite program must be taken before applying to the nursing program.
Once the student graduates from the program, they must apply to take the NCLEX-RN with the DBON and register with the exam administrator. There will be separate fees due to the DBON and Pearson VUE, the exam administrator. The graduate may apply for a temporary RN license to work during the exam process, but only if the student has a job offer. The temporary license is valid for 60 days and only until the student passes the exam. If the student does not pass the exam, the temporary license expires automatically.
As soon as the nursing board approves the application to test, the student has 60 days to schedule and take the NCLEX. The exam is a national exam and computer based. The exam is held at the Pearson VUE testing centers around the state, and the graduate may choose the testing center most convenient. Following the exam, results are available within 72 hours. The students will be notified of pass or fail. If the student passes the exam, an RN license and number will be issued and the student’s name and license number added to the nursing data base.
The average RN salary in Delaware is $57,000 annually and the entry level RN salary for new graduates is $44,000 annually. The actual starting salary for entry level nurses and salary offers for experienced nurses will vary according to the facility where employed, geographic location, level of responsibility and years of experience. Nurses in supervisory and administrative positions will command a higher salary and could top out at about $110,000 annually.
The employment options for RNs include hospitals, nursing homes and assisted care facilities, occupational health centers, educational and government facilities, visiting nurse and hospice organizations, the American Red Cross and insurance companies evaluating medical claims.
The duties an RN undertake vary according to facility where employed, but typically include dispensing medication, treating wounds, changing dressings, performing diagnostic tests, developing patient care plans, supervising the nursing staff including nursing assistants, tracking patient progress and assisting doctors and nurse practitioner.
RN Training Schools in Delaware
- Purdue University Global
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online